ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Britcar Night Practice: Brands Hatch

Oil Burner
Due to work on Saturday i cant make the Raceday for this event, But not wanting to miss the opportunity to shoot some night time motorsport i headed over to brands for the practice session which would continue untill 5.30.

To say it was an eye opener would be an understatement.

I learnt two things:

Night photography is V hard.

When trackside, always be ready to run (will explain later)

Firstly, some shots from earlier in the day, some Formula Fords.

417088618_QwP3F-L.jpg

417089314_mhDcF-L.jpg

A couple of shots of a very photogenic honda.

417092313_WPicj-L.jpg

417107086_GnP2a-L.jpg

Now to address my running comment earlier.

This photo should give you some idea of what im talking about:

417097334_CXZ8U-L.jpg

The end result was this:

417108493_NBHsj-L.jpg

The car hit exactly where i was standing, i wasnt standing in a stupid place, although cars can flick onto the outside of the track, it is far more common for them to end up hitting the tire wall on clearways. (i should also add, i did run away)

At least lightning never strikes twice....

5 mins Later.

417097756_dhqBC-L.jpg

The aston hit alot harder, thankfully i was next to the marshal post for this one, even so me and the marshall still legged it as it got a bit of air. The Aston driver actually tried to drive off like this. Much to the marshals disliking.

I did eventually get some other photos:

417094990_TL52S-L.jpg

417117630_ryUqp-L.jpg

417095553_pyeFn-L.jpg

417116375_Na2qp-L.jpg

417116821_MWvVb-L.jpg

Only two night shots as the rest dont warrant being posted.

417113948_qEgX8-L.jpg

417084312_Tw37o-L.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Nick

Last edited:

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Brilliant shots !! :approve: Love the light trails and also the Aston leading the Porsche/BMW. :hail:

What setup were you using ? They all look great so it must be that new 8mp camera phone I've seen advertised a lot ?! :eek:

:)

Only two night shots as the rest dont warrant being posted.

Love the Honda shots, but they were always going to appeal to me, nice slow shutter work :)

On the night shot issue, what did you experiment with? I found wide open, ultra slow shutter speeds to work best (i.e. f2.8, 1/10), using flash looked horribly un-natural.

Oil Burner
Just found massive amounts of noise. Tbh i had been trying mainly to use flash, to get the bright car with less noise and a short light stream off the lights.

Im going to see what i can salvage from them, might post some efforts later.

I take it you didnt attend Chris?

Just found massive amounts of noise. Tbh i had been trying mainly to use flash, to get the bright car with less noise and a short light stream off the lights.

Im going to see what i can salvage from them, might post some efforts later.

I take it you didnt attend Chris?

Kidney stones kicked in again on Friday so didn't want to risk the long drive over the weekend. Seen some pics elsewhere and it looked pretty busy on the Saturday, think the weather must have been much better than it was over here.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
what flash settup were you using? you try with front and rear curtain sync? sounds like rear sync would of got the results you were looking for?

Oil Burner
Rear Curtain sync was what i was after, however having the square root of 0 experiance with flash i couldnt find the custom setting. Ontop of which i left it too late to borrow a Flash. So was using on body flash. To be honest i dont much like night racing shots, they normally look pretty naff, so i was more after the long shutter light stream type shots.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
ahhh cool, i quiet enjoy experimenting with flash... rear curtain gives some cool effects :) would of thought being even on the side of the track, in darkness a speedlight would still be pretty underpowered anyway...

Oil Burner
Yeh next time i get the chance i will make sure ive got a decent flash with me. Albeit i dont really like using the flash, im fairly sure i wouldnt like it if i was driving and trying to concentrate. Ontop of which if i do distract them i dont want them stuffing it in my direction. Hense most of my flash photos are side on not front on.