ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Broken ABS Ring (Reluctor ring) solution for Clio 182 driveshaft

BG 182, T2 VW Camper
ABS ring cracked recently due to excessive corrosion. (Car is 4 years old 28k miles) This was indicated by tapping on the brake pedal during deceleration. Probably due to the ABS being activated when the sensor got confused as it passed the gap caused by the crack in the ring.

Initially struggled to get a replacement. (The rings are different dimensions to those used on the rear brake discs which are more commonly available) Renault were unable to offer me a replacement part and scrapyards I contacted were only interested in selling me a full driveshaft.

I contacted Reluctorrings.com and they made one as a replacement. This saved money and they claim their rings are made with higher quality steel than the originals.

The rings have to be heat shrunk onto the driveshaft (following the suppliers guide) Fitting requires the wheel hub to be taken off, the driveshaft can stay on the vehicle. I did this myself but care and plenty of time is required. A garage offered to fit the part for me for 1.5 hours labour.

Just thought I would pass on the tip.
Cheers
Jimzy

BG 182, T2 VW Camper
They produced mine at a discount as it was the first one of this type they had done. They knocked off the equivalent of VAT and delivery costs. They charged me £35. Contact reluctorrings.com to get an accurate price.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
cvjoints.co.uk will probably be able to do these as well and be cheaper than the website posted.

BG 182, T2 VW Camper
I just had a look at a 172 Ph2 and this appears to have the same ABS sensor yet the reluctor ring is the thin 6-7mm wide type.

I wonder why they changed it to be 15mm wide on the 182?

As the thin 6-7mm wide ring is readily available and cheap ~£15 it would be tempting to try one on my 182 if the ring on the otherside of the car cracks in the future. Has anybody tried this?