ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BTCC Weekend Report - Big Crash...

The weekend just passed kicked off the BTCC championship, along with their supporting championships.

We have two cars this year, the usual clio x85 cup driven by Jame Colburn (4th place last year) and a new driver Myles Collins in a Ginetta Junior class (saxmax champion last year). More info about the ginettas: http://www.ginetta.com/cars_g40j

Setup took place on Thursday, with practice on the Friday, qualifying/racing on the Sat & Sun.

01.jpg

03.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

04.jpg

09.jpg

Some G55's - the Junior G40's bigger brother:

05.jpg

A lot of fuss over this chap:

06.jpg

Anyway, all was well, working through the setups and prepping the cars until 10.30ish when the G40 lined up for the car & drivers first race (brand new car 2 weeks ago) - first corner:

Unfortunately the proverbial sh1t really hit the fan at this point as we have about 4 hours until the cars second race to get it track worthy! Cars entire front end including the engine was severely damaged, front and rear clams destroyed.

15 mins before assembly time - near entire new front end!

11.jpg

Some of the scrap:

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Rolled out 1 mine before assembly time:

17.jpg

18.jpg

Ready to race. Slept deeply last night!

Last edited by a moderator:
  Black 172 PH2
i bet it felt good when the car was fixed and ready to race again. Good work mate.
Im looking to go to a couple of rounds of btcc this year.

Listerine & Poledo
That crash was mental on the Ginettas.

Mind, all the Formula had that "1st day back at school" feel to it. BTCC boys were just as bad as anyone else.

Turbos.
Excellent work. Out of all the Ginettas, its funny that you're looking after the car that crashed! Presumably the driver was fine then? Was a heavy old impact...

Ace coverage from ITV4 at the weekend, 7 hours of motoring!

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Love the BTCC sunday's, so much action and it's fast paced too :)

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Excellent work. Out of all the Ginettas, its funny that you're looking after the car that crashed! Presumably the driver was fine then? Was a heavy old impact...

Ace coverage from ITV4 at the weekend, 7 hours of motoring!
7 hours that my freeview recorder failed to record for me :(

Hope the driver was ok! Top notch effort by you and your team to get it repaired and back out on time :)

A bit shaken, but otherwise fine. Bent the steering wheel holding onto it!

Good work getting that ready mate. How did the car get on in the second race?

It ran a second off the pace or so, so not competitive unfortunately. We replaced the steering wheel as the old one had bent so badly it would not complete a LTL, however the replacement was not intended for the car so as a result Myles could not see the RPM counter for gear changes. A sticking throttle cable also didn't help. I think he managed 12th out of 16 or so.

Your cars? But no JMS logos anywhere? :S

Westbourne Motorsport - I work for them - so 'ours' as in the teams.

E30 318iS x2
Big hit that, nice one on the repair job. Chassis are like brick s**t houses on all Ginettas, one of our F400's was written off on the M1 on its way to Brands :-( Ironicaly it was going to be the safety car!

Suzuki Jimny
Big hit that, nice one on the repair job. Chassis are like brick s**t houses on all Ginettas, one of our F400's was written off on the M1 on its way to Brands :-( Ironicaly it was going to be the safety car!

They mentioned that during the race. Made me LOL at the irony.

Certainly are solid. Unfortunately in this instance the impact pushed the engine support frame along the front cross member back into the belts = big mess.

We were jumping for joy at getting the car finished, six of us - three on body work / clam replacement and three on the engine / front running gear and suspension worked flat out on it. My hands are f*cked after fighting all of the shattered wishbones etc.

I still own and run JMS, but I also work for Westbourne Motorsport maintaining and servicing / prepping and repairing the cars both at base and at the testing / race events throughout the year. This entails everything from washing wheels, to on-the-fly repair work as above.

We see the cars as 'ours' as it's from the perspective of being a team member - make sense?

Head tea boy. ;)

Well for example in the above my job was to remove and refit all of the damaged steering & suspension assembly on both the near and offside. So that consists of the parallel same length wishbones, rack & mounts, dampers, chassis lugs etc etc. (These had to be remade from sheet material as the old lugs were ripped off.) Meanwhile above two guys worked on getting the jammed in engine sorted and running again.

The main problem is that twisted and bent parts don't come off in the same way as normal ones.

Lionel Richie
^man up and use a hammer!

and i thought you were the computer geek designer/furnitue bod, didn't know you h'actually knew how to operate a spanner :rasp:

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Title confused me too!

Good work, motorsport is a mugs game now a days! - May aswell build a bonfire with £50 notes...........................god it miss it! :(

Leon Cupra 300
The F400 that crashed on the way down was a full on mess too.. They have a road going one of those Junior Ginettas that I see 'testing' quite often, and a lovely white (i don't know if it's a F400? the olf Farbio car)