ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buckets, Custom Subframes + Interior Progress!

picked up a pair of buckets real cheap from ebay, in very good condition... i heard that a few people bolt their sidemounts directly to the chassis rails, but i wanted to use some sort of subframe through the original seat runner holes...

DSC_0952.gif

after speaking to Ad, and PYE21, they recommended using cobra extra low subframes, and drilling fresh holes for the sparco sidemounts to fit to....

i went to tweeks, to see if they had any in stock, they didnt and they said it would be a four week wait or more, because they are custom made! i thought forget this....

i took a picture of the subframe to a guy i know who does welding, and asked would it be possible for him to make his own version of it....

the whole subframe was made from 4mm steel, it started with him making the edge pieces, for either side, he had to bend the side to an angle to fit snugly against the handbrake side, then get the holes in the right place....

DSC_0011-1.gif

next was the outside runner

DSC_0012.gif

then he measured the size needed for the cross beams, and cut the angle on the inside to 70 degrees to match the inside runner...

DSC_0010.gif

DSC_0009.gif

he tack welded them while they were in place in the car to get it right, then i left them with him for a day so he could finish the welding....

went to pick them up, he had welded them, and drilled the holes for where i wanted the sidemounts...he also welded nuts on the underside of the sidemount holes to ease the installation of them....

DSC_0023.gif

DSC_0022.gif

DSC_0024.gif

next, put them in the car, and bolted them down with high tensile bolts and washers, with locking nuts on the underside....

DSC_0030.gif

then bolted the sidemounts to them to check the fit...

DSC_0031.gif

DSC_0032.gif

then put some 3.3ohm resistors in the connectors for the airbags, to stop the dash lights showing...

DSC_0028.gif

finally put the seat in, only the drivers side for now though as ive not enough bolts to finish the passenger side as of yet...

DSC_0033.gif

DSC_0034.gif

all thats left to do is the passenger side, and then sort out the mess of carpet everywhere.... i was happy with the subframes the guy made, did them for free too, so i cant complain...:)

Ad

MK2 FRS
Looks superb!!! Nice seats those. Im sure you'll fint them loads better than standard.

Those subframes are better than the cobra ones and signifcantly lower!!

yeah, they seem pretty good so far.....yeah the cross beams are the same height as the chassis beams, real low!

sup ho

love it jords, cant wait to see it tomorrow (what time btw? russ is having his car PCd tomorrow morning now ive found my megs 83 again so will come with to the meet)

jamie

^^need to rack your brains tomorrow lad, just picked up a canon 400d and need advice on lenses, will be bringin with.

think people are passing through at 6.40 so i think 6.20-30 is best. just got a new tom tom so want to mess with that aswell.

loving the cam so far, so quick! will be making use of it at the meet :)

jamie

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
nope, i can't afford it. :( i still need to pay for my ticket though. i need to PM Emma in a bit.

2 tyres, 36k service, aux belt, tax. FFS

cheers lad, looking forward to using it tomorrow. going to spend a day with my car tomorrow i think. you taken your plastic arch liners out completely jords on the front? mine are rubbing round corners.

oh, and my coilies have defo settled, kinda lower when i got back from mongolia, dad has obv been messing!!

jamie

PH1 172
love it!! hows the driving position? always get the impression that i wouldnt be able to see over the steering wheel...seats seem so low...

lol im over 6 foot....so how you find it?

im 5' 11' lol............. can JUST see over the wheel, and its on the highest setting lol...........they are extra extra low subframes though, even lower than the cobra extra low ones lol....

PH1 172
is the steering wheel fully down too?!

anyway mate, looks awesome...would love to do this to mine....but dont think i could sell the 1/2 leather interior!

E60 diesel powah
awesome mate, they are stupidly low, but i love it lol, looked mint from behind, cudnt see ur face..just hair haha

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Looks pretty nice mate. Will have to try and make it to a meet sometime soon and have a look.

ATS CUP'd Dynamique
looks amazing...

how do you find the steering wheel with the buckets that low, does it feel to high even on its lowest coloum setting ??

nice lad, fancy a mini meet tomorrow? s**t bored with nothing to do atm except clean the car!

pm'dm you..... mine needs a clean too...

looks amazing...

how do you find the steering wheel with the buckets that low, does it feel to high even on its lowest coloum setting ??

its a good position imo, a bit low but the steering wheel seems ok position

It does look good. Is that your rear bench in the first picture lol

nah its just the carpet i was in the middle of cutting it to fit :p