ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burpspeed - From The beginning

M

mini-valver

Tony lika your knob??

Danny, whats it like in the wet? Have to be really on the ball with braking ATM or I just get a juddering mess and lots of smoke, lol.

ITB'd MK1
Danny, whats it like in the wet? Have to be really on the ball with braking ATM or I just get a juddering mess and lots of smoke, lol.

very unlike a clio ;) it's an aweful system on my car as standard so the extra control you gain is huge. My tyres aren't the best brand at the moment though so I just dont push it at all in the wet. I'm hoping I can fit the 406 coupe calipers onto my 205 so I'll have an almost identical setup to you, and that's non ABS.

Hijack over ;) Nice job Jay, I've been meaning to stop by but I've not known when you're working on the car :)

172 Race Car
i'll be 'playing' monday & tuesday afternoon/evening if you want to stop by.

what gearbox oil spec did you say again? GL4 or GL5?

172 Race Car
Massive progress today.

First job was to put the subframe back in. I was going to wait till my mate could give me a hand but he has been/will be busy for a while so decided to crack on on my own. Was easy in the end.

Used two jack as before to guide it into place

IMAGE_144.jpg

A little giggery and a little pokery and she was back home :approve:

IMAGE_153.jpg

I decided to see how my pas pipes would line up.

IMAGE_145.jpg

Quite close. so took the rack to pump one off, a bit fidly but not too bad now its cut where it goes over the gearbox, standard would be a nightmare.

The got the saxo one too, ready to be cut

IMAGE_146.jpg

Clio pipe in the vice, ready to be cut

IMAGE_147.jpg

Saxo one awaiting the chop

IMAGE_148.jpg

Both cut, so the new pipe (when joined) will look like this

IMAGE_149.jpg

Refitted both parts to check the gap and alignment

IMAGE_150.jpg

35mm gap, will get down to the hydralics place, that did my last one, later this week

The return hose was easy, just had to cut it and add a 12mm connector to extend it a little and change the angle.

IMAGE_151.jpg

Secured some brake pipes (they are under the scuttle going to and from the bias valve) using some strong rubber pipe and some cable ties. will stop them vibrating.

IMAGE_152.jpg

At this point my apprentice came around and we got loads done.

Got the N/S driveshaft and hub all in.

IMAGE_154.jpg

and the AST on, mmmm!

IMAGE_155.jpg

Same on the offside

IMAGE_156.jpg

We then built up the brakes using a 'previously loved' set of pads so the brakes could be bled. I will be changing the discs later.

IMAGE_157.jpg

We then filled the brake fluid resovior and released all the bleed screws to allow the system to gravity bleed a little. the bled the whole system through.

Ending up with a very firm pedal and no leaks :clap:

Will probably bleed it again after some road miles.

I bought an old volt gauge off SkinnyJ this week and we found the perfect place for it.

IMAGE_158.jpg

Only cost a few quid and will help monitor the battery/charging voltage.

So, very pleased with today, it doesnt look like much now ive typed it all out but it was a good, productive 5 hours. Big thanks to Shadowness for his help.

More tomorrow...................

'92 172, Lotus Elise
cool! I missed the part with the electric PAS pump

what was it from? output pressures the same as the mechanical pump?

also, how does it wire in? off the fuel pump relay?

172 Race Car
cool! I missed the part with the electric PAS pump

what was it from? Citroen Saxo/Pug 106

output pressures the same as the mechanical pump? No Idea

also, how does it wire in? Im wiring it off a switch on the dash.

off the fuel pump relay? You could I suppose but its normaly wired to come on when the engine is running, possibly an alternator feed I think

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Dude, Im thinking of ditching my ABS while the block is out,

What i want to know is...is it worth the effort for the weight save? I plan to add a adjustable bias valve into the system if i removed the ABS unit etc.

I see the current setup has lines leaving the ABS unit that run to the rear of the car, so i could get some unions that mate to them and run new lines to the fronts? Is this how you did it? I suppose i could even retain the OEM front lines and just make all the new connections around where the ABS unit was?

I know you haven't driven it yet and cant comment on the performance of the setup (which i have confidence in as the CUP car uses non ABS anyway) But interested in the weight saving and bias adjustment on tap! The unit looks huge and heavy but it could be light as feck lol! Would clean the look of my engine bay up though!

Thoughts?

Nice progress by the way!

172 Race Car
It is quite heavy yea. Not weighed it tho. As ive said it wasnt only the weight, it was space AND the ABS was playing havoc at Curbourgh for me and Tony. tryed taking the fuse out

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nlH2QJc4NT8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nlH2QJc4NT8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Ditching it is the way to go (I hope) As you say the Cups mange fine without (driver dependant)

you could use all the stock pipes if you wish i suppose but it would look well messy as you would have so many joins where the pump was. There is a join in the rear lines under the subframe brace nearside. Ive joined to these for the rear

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
where could i get the unions from? or would you know the unf/thread pitch of parts used?

I have a flaring kit and lots of copper line lol!

172 Race Car
I borrowed a big box of unions of a mates garage and just found some that fitted. No idea what they are tbh. I did need to rescue some of the old unions tho as I couldnt find any in the box that fitted.

The splitters were off ebay. Doesnt matter what thread you get on them if you are making new lines anyway

'92 172, Lotus Elise
cool, I was going to wire it to the fuel pump/coil trigger thingy.. that means it'll only run when the engine is on

do you know the correct fusing to use for it?

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
sweet! its getting done then! Hope i don't have to change the master cylinder or the bloody servo!

172 Race Car
err, not really. I just got the relay that comes with the pump. Its on a small loom. I'll be fitting it soon so watch this space

172 Race Car
Todays update.............

Battery......

Its a bit of a long story but the short version is that Adeyspec made a battery holder for a battery i had hanging around.

IMAGE_133.jpg

Its out of a professional spec jump start pack (one we use at work) Its a little tired and struggles to start some really flat diesel cars, thats why it was changed, but it may still have some life left when its put into a car and kept charged up regualrly.

If its no good then I'll just get another one the same. Ive found a place local to me that can supply for a reasonable rate. Its a little lighter than a standard battery, not much but its a lot smaller and its sealed so much better. Its much more powerfull than the diddy redtops people normaly get.

I also made a start on getting the passenger seat it. Got some 6mm flat bar to use as a base.

IMAGE_132.jpg

Had planned to put the battery under the foot rest but I wasnt happy with its fitment, went nicely under the seat tho.

Trial fitted it all to check where it needed to go.

IMAGE_135.jpg

Started marking out where the battery was going to sit

IMAGE_136.jpg

Drilled some holes it it, difficult to secure it properly as there is a very thick chassis rail under there and I wasnt happy with it.

IMAGE_137.jpg

So decided to start again and moved it over slightly. Means im left with some holes in the floor but oh well, at least if i spill any water it will drain away

IMAGE_139.jpg

used some small strips of rubber for the battery to sit on

IMAGE_138.jpg

And there we have it

IMAGE_140.jpg

Started on the seat frame. As the seat im using is as wide as my transit its going to sit on the tunnel and the side mount bolts into one of the original seat holes.

IMAGE_142.jpg

Using the flat bar for the other side.

IMAGE_141.jpg

the seats are quite close together but we have tried it and it doesn't seem too bad. leaves room for door bars on the future roll cage too :evil:

Im in the process of tidying up the passenger seat, its a right mess. wish id kept one of my old seats now :(

Ive used a year 2000 on, Ford Transit battery earth cable (used on a few members cars now) the cable is fused so will add some safety

IMAGE_162.jpg

Dan covered it in yellow tape for me.

IMAGE_163.jpg

(Yellow tape is needed for a future reason;))

Trial fitted and looks good, bolts to a redundant seat belt mounting point. Just the right length too

IMAGE_164.jpg

A little job for Dan was to bolt in the navigators foot rest

IMAGE_134.jpg

IMAGE_167.jpg

Also got the wiper scuttle back on for the first time in about 6 months. need some big grommits to cover the holes where the old wipers were

IMAGE_161.jpg

Refitted the front grill. But before it went on i ripped off the upper grill and cut all the lugs off

IMAGE_165.jpg

I dont need that s**t!

IMAGE_166.jpg

Before refitting the front bumper i decided to spray part of it black. Id done some rather amatuer photoshops (MS paints:eek:) of what it would look like and decided to give it a try.

Its a scruffy bumper anyway and im on the look out for another. But if this looks good then I will do it again.

Masked it all up and primered the lower grill area.

IMAGE_159.jpg

A couple of coats of that and then onto the black.

IMAGE_160.jpg

Dan lent me some clear laquer to finish it off.

IMAGE_168.jpg

cant really see it from this angle, will have to wait till the car is rolling again

IMAGE_169.jpg

So thats it for now. This week im going to try and get the pas pipe made up and sort the wiper out. Im working for the rest of the week so it will only be very small stuff that gets done for a while.

Its coming along nicely :approve:

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
So decided to start again and moved it over slightly. Means im left with some holes in the floor but oh well, at least if i spill any water it will drain away

IMAGE_139.jpg

Its coming along nicely :approve:

It certainly is.

Holes are also good for drainage when you break out the hosepipe after a scary moment on track ;)

Qashcow
christ you've done a lot recently, looking good. phew, 1 more thing to distinguish us on track, black bumper looks nice

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
like the front bumper (from what i can see of it) was going to say if you need gromits and any heatshrink sleeving etc. i can have a dig about. pitty you're so bloody far away though.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
looks good jay, like the bumper, i had an idea like that...

i have to collect my spare bumper as have another idea for that now...

i know why you used the yellow tape, got some black and yellow oz's lol????

Qashcow
she lives....... io loikes thaeet.

cant wait for you to have it back on the road properly, been off long enough :)