ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burpspeed - From The beginning

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
:eek: and it still understeers? mine would spin like a top setup like that, you sure about that front spring rate?

yep 100% mate, surprised also.

i think we have been running the front too low tbh so knocked it up alittle and it seems to be much better on road. Will see how it goes at Cadwell :)

carl

172 Race Car
Opened the bonnet on the car today and it stinks of gearbox oil. Was hoping that driving home in he rain the other night would of washed it all away but obviously i still need to get the jet wash out.

I was going to give it a blast but struggled to find the thing in the shed........

IMAGE_403.gif

So much crap in there i decided to give it a tidy up. 3 hours later i was sweating like a rapist after moving most of the junk to the attic. At least I can find stuff now. Didnt tidy up the tools, will do that some other time.

IMAGE_405.gif

RS RIP
Burp , i have to protest here .

Gouda and Edam make very good stuff so shut it !!

Stuff i'm talking about is Cheese ofcourse ;):D:D Best cheese in the world mate

172 Race Car
I wasnt dissing the cheese, im a fan. Its just that when it used to make suspension parts things go wrong.

Keep it in the fridge not in the wheel arch

RS RIP
i got ya ! ;)

seems like serious lack of quality when looking at those pics. How old were those springs + rings ?

106 GTI
And to think AST's are up at the more expensive end of coilovers :(

Burp have you have the units revalved etc or just plonked the springs on and away you went?

172 Race Car
seems like serious lack of quality when looking at those pics. How old were those springs + rings ?
Think they are just under a year old
And to think AST's are up at the more expensive end of coilovers :(

Burp have you have the units revalved etc or just plonked the springs on and away you went?
Just put the springs on for now, it is under damped tho.

Ive aways driven it on the road on the soft settings (and it was quite pants) on the way home from Bedford we left it set as we'd used it on track (almost full stiff) and it was such a nice comfy ride, Lol.

The set i have are from an early batch before the firmer damping had been tested. I may have them done at some stage.

106 GTI
Il keep an eye then as im quite tempted to upgrade to the AST's in the future.

What trackdays are you booked in to do in the next few months?

RS RIP
what Toe are you running ? I got mine a bit In , but lowered the back a little and now it seems to steer in more difficult. A higher back end was better for steer-in.

I'm thinking i must go maybe neutral on Toe ? (no trackdays yet)

(I always found the little Toe-in to give a nice straight - stability. Toe out was terrible on fast straight stability)

172 Race Car
Il keep an eye then as im quite tempted to upgrade to the AST's in the future.

What trackdays are you booked in to do in the next few months?
I am going to Kemble airfield on this coming Saturday for some kind of track thing.

No others booked but should be doing Bedford 21st august and id love to do Donnington before they dig it up.

172 Race Car
what Toe are you running ? I got mine a bit In , but lowered the back a little and now it seems to steer in more difficult. A higher back end was better for steer-in.

I'm thinking i must go maybe neutral on Toe ? (no trackdays yet)

(I always found the little Toe-in to give a nice straight - stability. Toe out was terrible on fast straight stability)
not sure what im running off the top of my head. Will have a look for it later

Nice work Jay, love reading your updates.

My adjuster: had signs of being molested in a previous life and the threads had that worn look as if it has been forced without cleaning first :dead:

12.jpg

On another note Dan you pull the 'homeless' look off very well :rasp:

DSC_4292.jpg

106 GTI
I am going to Kemble airfield on this coming Saturday for some kind of track thing.

No others booked but should be doing Bedford 21st august and id love to do Donnington before they dig it up.

Is this the RS day, if so il see you there :)

172 Race Car
Bedford 21st is yea. I will be there even if I dont take my car. Bomber and Shadowness are doing it too.

Tom: pmsl, he actually was homeless 24hours later as I helped him move out of his old flat

172 Race Car
Oh yea, forgot to mention we got shown the 'Noise!' board at Bedford.

Bit worrying as the car always give a 95db reading (was a little lower this time)

It was probably induction noise, Dan said he could hear it from the pit lane when we were on the back straight. Pmsl.

We were in a big queue of cars at the time and Tony was driving so he must be noisy in the way he drives

RS RIP
^^ found out Renault charge a f**king 170 pounds for the Cup splitter :mad:

You remember how much this one was/is/will be ?

RS RIP
A piece of Edammer kaas or Gouda kaas is more expensive

Guess you do'nt know , i'll be off to the stealers tommorow to find out.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Nice update Jay, congrats on the wedding, good work on the nuptial agreement.

I just let mine play netball whenever she wants - then when I sod off for few days there's no complaints :approve:

172 Race Car
Day off today and ive been looking forward to it all week. Had a knocking noise appear at Bedford and struggled to track it down while we were there. Today I had a chance to get a good look over the car and find the problem, id been giving it lots of thought all week and had been worried it was something drastic or expensive.

Went along to my mates place and while I was there used the opportunity to get some tyres swapped over.

IMAGE_407.jpg

Im going to Kemble airfield tomorrow for a track/activity day. Didnt fancy carting all my wheels and tools with me so swapped to my old set of Yoka Prada's. I can now drive there and back on legal tyres. Dont want to ruin my T1R's I use for road use.

IMAGE_412.jpg

Ive not cleaned the wheels at al and they have done 4 track days/sessions so gave them a much needed wash. They were brown with brake dust.

IMAGE_408.jpg

The R888's have done very well, considering they were on the wear markers when I got them. Bit of swapping around and they should do another track day or 2. Starting to show signs of the camber not being quite right. Tony had a temperature test thing las time but the limited track time due the the oil leak ment we didnt get chance to do it propely.

IMAGE_411.jpg

So to find the knock. Needed to get it on a ramp but the only one free at my mates place was a 4 poster. There is no way the car would go on there at its current ride height (As Bomber will agree, we had some fun and games getting his on there) So the front bumper came off to help.

IMAGE_409.jpg

I spanner checked as much as I could see and apart from the knock in the steering rack (That has always been there) I couldnt really find anything.

Then I drove it off the ramp again and descovered that if you pulled away sharply the knock occured. This made it much easier to find and traced it to the gearbox mount bolts (under where the battery used to sit)

Strange as id never touched them when doing the clucth last winter. The car did have some new mounts fitted before I bought it so it must of shaken loose during the last 7k miles of abuse. Still, Loctite and new nyloc nuts on there now, should do the trick.

IMAGE_413.jpg

Swapped the wheels over ready for tomorrow but before I did I had to refit some of the studs that were loose.

IMAGE_414.jpg

IMAGE_415.jpg

I gave the underside a good rinse off with the pressure washer, it had been dripping oil all week on my drive.

It looks good on the track wheels with road tyres, didnt get any pics but will post some tomorrow from Kemble.

I also have a surprise for all those people who have experianced the torture that is the passenger seat. ;)

RB 182 Cup
Congratulations for the wedding.

Glad you got the brakes sorted, and you are out abusing the car as I type! Was I right about the bias valve, or did you fix it another way? PM if you prefer.

RS RIP
Big Burp , i read some more of your thread (you might have guessed) and know which Toe-in on the front you are running now. Close to neutral as Renault themselves advise ;)

172 Race Car
what a thread, this is amazing. ive just read the whole lot, its taken hours lol.
:eek: wow, what a compliment, thanks. Stick around, im never happy and will always be fidling with something
Congratulations for the wedding.

Glad you got the brakes sorted, and you are out abusing the car as I type! Was I right about the bias valve, or did you fix it another way? PM if you prefer.
Thanks Si, pm sent

Big Burp , i read some more of your thread (you might have guessed) and know which Toe-in on the front you are running now. Close to neutral as Renault themselves advise ;)
I just let powerstation set it how they do

172 Race Car
Yea Doug was there, top bloke. His car is mint.

It was an ok day, will do write up in a bit, just looking throught the vids

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I was going to come and watch, even got clearance from the wife but ended up laying on the couch all day due to alcohol abuse last night.