ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bux's BMW 123d M-Sport Coupe

Bux

Golf GTD
So, my 197 is being sold. I've had someone put a deposit on it and they are coming to collect it next week. For its replacement, I thought i'd go for something that cruises a bit better and has a bit more luxury to it, so I got this 123d.

Just spent all day washing, claying, polishing and waxing it, so i thought I better get a couple of pictures. Gotta get the number plate swapped over this week, not letting that plate go :p

7914231102_c08048987d_b.jpg

7914230138_8e2422a967_b.jpg

7914230574_5fb3ebd93e_b.jpg

Yes, the interior is cream, and yes I like it.

7914231564_34047fc8f7_b.jpg

Current plans are to get darkline rear lights for it (About half way down this thread is an example of them compared to the normal lights: http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26764&hilit=darklines&start=45)

I will get some more photos at some point, but it started raining again and didn't fancy getting wet.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Lovely.

What are the specs of the engine? Size? Cylinders? Turbo's 1 or 2?

I do like these. On paper they sound fantastic and day to day they look epic however I'm not sure I'd be happy with it when I fancy a hoon.

That said, they don't come much faster, comfier and better specced at that kind of economy. A fine choice.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
2 litre twin turbo, 4 cylinders

204 bhp, 295lbs/ft torque

Nice, I was chatting to a friend about the engine being the best small diesel but we didn't know if it was a 2.0, 2.3 or 2.5.

RS6 C7
The coupé is so much better looking, I went to look at the hatchback and i just couldn't own one. I'm undecided between one of these (coupé) or another a3.

Bux

Golf GTD
Nice, I was chatting to a friend about the engine being the best small diesel but we didn't know if it was a 2.0, 2.3 or 2.5.

It's amazing at how many people think it's a 2.3 as its called a 123. I had a test drive in one at a BMW main dealer and he tried telling me it was a 2.3...

Leon Cupra 300
Yep. Good car, love the cream interior. My Saab was black with cream.

Only time it looks bad is when it's the beige or grey and the whole bottom of the dash and door cards are beige/grey.

Bux

Golf GTD
Lovely motor. How does it compare to the 197?

The BMW has loads of torque and picks up very quickly, and just annihilates hills, where as in the 197 you have to keep the revs up constantly to get it to properly shift.
The gearboxes feel similar in the way that they are precise and a little bit 'clunky', but you can manage to do smooth gear changes.

No squeaks/rattles at all in the BMW, and all of the leather and soft plastics inside make it a much nicer place to be. You also sit a lot lower down in the BMW so it feels like a sportier car to start with.
The grip in the BMW is awesome, i didn't have any issues with it on the way home and it just gripped when i chucked it into a few roundabouts, which is a bit like the clio as that gripped just as good, but the lower ride height and lower seating position makes it feel more planted than the clio. The steering in the BMW is electric, and is very light a low speed, lighter than the 197, which makes it very easy to manoeuvre.

I also find think that the rear visibility is slightly better in the BMW as well as there aren't the massive pillars in the corners like the clio.

Boot space is surprisingly good, and the rear seats are able to fold down flat so it's not impractical.

The rear leg room isn't fantastic, however if needed, there is enough space for 2 people to sit in the back. The clio has more leg room, but I buy a car for myself, not any potential passengers; I don't tend to be a passenger in the back of my own car.

That'll do for a brief summary.

BMW F21 125d
Lovely, it's bloody lovely.

The more i read about the cars, the higher regard they seem to be held in. I'd certainly consider one if I have to start doing a few miles.

Bux

Golf GTD
Really like that Tom, will have a good look at it at Combe next week. May be looking at one of these soon when I find out what mileage I'll be doing on a regular basis.

Not gonna be at Combe mate! The guy buying my clio is picking it up on Saturday so i've got to stay in :( Maybe at the next meet...

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Looks brilliant, mind PM'ing me what you paid at all?

It's exactly what I'd be looking at moving to next, it'll take a lot to get me away from petrol, but one of these may do it... maybe. If not it'll be a 130.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Ah so you finally have sold the 197 after saying it since I first met you!

You going to make people take their shoes off to get inside with that interior?! haha

Bux

Golf GTD
Ah so you finally have sold the 197 after saying it since I first met you!

You going to make people take their shoes off to get inside with that interior?! haha

Yeah haha, finally decided to sell it and not think about it anymore.

Surprisingly, I've told people to get in and have a seat but they are the ones saying no because they are too dirty to get in haha

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
That's a nice motor there. And those wheels are my favourite on the the coupe ;) I really want one of these but no chance of affording one for a long time :(

Z4
Lovely mate.

A pal of mine has the 120d coupe, wrong engine but nice car. He had his remapped and was convinced it would do 0-60 in 5.5 seconds, I'm sure the torque goes to people's heads! I toyed with him when I had the m3, couldn't help myself, needless to say it was a little white dot in the mirror of a car which actually will hit 60 in 5 odd seconds!

I'm surprised you don't see more of these about tbh, far rarer than 3 series and for most people it's probably the better option. I can't gel with the hatch, complete munter of a car.

The black line rear lights will look much better, keep up the work and keep us informed :)

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Do people prefer these to the 3 series coupe? I don't know which I prefer more. Theres something about the 1 series coupe that I prefer. Can't put finger on it though.

DB.

BMW 440i
Do people prefer these to the 3 series coupe? I don't know which I prefer more. Theres something about the 1 series coupe that I prefer. Can't put finger on it though.

I always used to prefer the 3, and considered it the 'proper' one to have.

Past 6 months though I have much preferred the 1 series coupe as it has a more sporty edge to it IMO and just looks that tad cooler.

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I think i like how it's a small coupe compared to the 3 series. They do look sportier too. I agree. Is the 123d the engine to go for then?