ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying 182 ff help please!

Arctic 182
Hi guys, have had a clio cup last year and sold it now am buying another one but this time a 182 ff version

Spec

Clio 182 2004 86k
Service history
M.O.T feb 2012
No tax
Cruise control
Auto wipers and lights
Half leather interior A1 condition
182 wheels in anthracite
tinted windows
Ktec engine mounts
Powerflex'd dogbone
yozza twin pipe cat back
poss remap
invoices from jms for a few bits, Ie, Cambelt kit + fitting

Just left a deposit and settled a price of £2000.

Just all seems too good to be true to me has anyone got knowledge or heard of this car on this reg before H T 0 4 J W C

Link to the site it is on, http://www.stockportcarsupermarket.co.uk/used-renault-clio-stockport-manchester-cheshire-298689

Any help would be brilliant guys, Thanks in advance.

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
did you hpi it before viewing, if its got all its service history and mots to stack up the mileage and has had both belts replaced and nothing seemed wrong on the test drive/inspection then dont see a problem

2014 Clio 200t edc
It looks a little high for a cup packed car, also the bumper looks like its been sprayed.

Arctic 182
Yep its had paint rear qtr has taping marks inside the boot and the front bumper has had a dust over but there is no damage to the chassis legs etc all looks good boot floor is straight.

Yes its hpi clear wudn't mind gettin in touch with the last owner guesses are he's on here looking at the mods he has done.

2014 Clio 200t edc
To be fair tho, as long as its straight and drives well, the price is good. I don't think I'd mind it if it was me. Is the paint good? Must've been quite an accident for front and rear quarter damage....

BG 182 (full fat)
Actually, it's that price because of the mileage that is all, if you have done hpi check, your good to go

ph1 172
HPI checks aren't always 100%
I viewed a 172 cup that had been smashed up and repaired (badly) on the side, away from insurance companies. The car was HPI clear as I did the HPI check, heap of sh*te but HPI clear:rasp:

Arctic 182
Not bad with paintwork really qtr has a small amount of bog in it, front bumper is just stone chips at a guess car is straight cant belive the value at all! pick it up friday, pics and detailing thread will be here by sunday night hopefully, might just brim her and go tho, miss my old cup like mad just hope this is as good!

Cheers for all the quick replies guys.

Right here goes, my mate used to be a member on here but he traded it in for a honda s2000 so he doesnt use this forum anymore

1) Its hard a very hard life when he owned it, revved when not warm e.t.c always revved hard at any point really
2) Its been in a front end smash (he smashed into a car at some speed he wrote the car off in front), he spent £1000 doing it himself, he replaced front bumper, radiator and a few other bits
3) After the smash he scuffed the bumper and it was at the bottom near the drivers foglight, thats not there now so its had a respray at some point

330ci, 850R, eunos
It's had a new front bumper by the look of it, but as said even if it has had paint, if it's been done well then it's no big deal. HPI will only show up for write off's, plenty of people driving around with cars that have been accident damaged but repaired on insurance so wouldn't know unless you know what to look for or it's been done badly.

I'd have thought it would still be worth around 2750 though, just from looking around for a few weeks.

Arctic 182
Aah sweet as long as its all been done right as it looks ok for 2k it dont seem to bad for a 182, and as for revving it when cold, no blue smoke and no bad knocks bangs or rattles see how she goes, Taa for the info mate.

He repaired it himself its not professionally done, im almost sure he never even serviced it either while he owned it, i know clios have a hard life but lets say this is at the very top end of the scale of a hard life, ill ring him up and get more info if you want

330ci, 850R, eunos
^^I was right then!

Still, if it runs ok, has history and repairs look ok then £2k isn't too bad really. If anything is out of alignment up front (or rear) then i'd walk away though....

Arctic 182
Pannels line up straight apart from the bonnet but did that there on the forecourt to see and it lined up fine with even twists on the rubbers, also if you get in touch with the guy and ask about mods like what exhaust he put on it and if it has had a remap, will throw a couple of services through it and see how she goes, still impressed for 2k tho

I know for a fact thats a yozza exhaust with decat, he welded the yozza to the decat i think, i know he welded part of the exhaust, and iirc i dont think it had a remap, he was going to track it but then he chopped it in for the s2000, ill get a little more info for you

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Your comfortable buying a car that has been in a crash, where a car was actually written off, and then the guy fixed it at home on his drive? Mental.

Walk away and write your deposit off. There are litteraly hundreds of 182's out there for sale.

Arctic 182
Yeah well front end lines up and looks smart will do me for 2k what do i really expect still think its a good price and tipex, guess so if its had the belts done.

Also could you ask the lad if he had the dephaser done with the belts, aint tapping now sounds sweet.

330ci, 850R, eunos
As far as alignment goes i meant mechanically, not cosmetically. Suspension arms/struts, turrets, subframe, slam panel , etc.
Cosmetic repairs are easy, it's the stuff you can't see that gets bent and needs checking out.

Last edited:
Spoke to my mate today, when he sold it on the car wouldn't rev without going into limp mode, the heater didn't work and only half the speakers worked, there's no remap on the car just ferodo ds2500 and brembo discs

RB 182
Really does sound like a bag of s**t. You can buy a half decent one and have problems so I just think your asking for it with this one.

Arctic 182
Limp mode? its had a throttle body on it and hasent been coded in, heaters were fine when i was there, all the small things dont really matter end of the day its cheap, mechanical issues are no problem to me and neither is bodywork, as for speakers and heaters they aint a big fix dont worry, at least it will have a great progress thread on here got loads to do allready.

Thanks peeps.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Right here goes, my mate used to be a member on here but he traded it in for a honda s2000 so he doesnt use this forum anymore

1) Its hard a very hard life when he owned it, revved when not warm e.t.c always revved hard at any point really
2) Its been in a front end smash (he smashed into a car at some speed he wrote the car off in front), he spent £1000 doing it himself, he replaced front bumper, radiator and a few other bits
3) After the smash he scuffed the bumper and it was at the bottom near the drivers foglight, thats not there now so its had a respray at some point

Sounds well loved. OP should buy it.

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
the phrase you get what you pay for?!! and unfortunatly soudns like a bag of dogshit you have or about to purchase i would of got a mint ph1 172 personal choice for the money or a ph2 172 instead of scraping the barrel just to get a 182..i can you forking out for problem after problem im afraid pal. :eek:

RB 182
Is there anything anyone could say that would put you off buying it? Not really sure why you put the thread up now?