ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying a Clio to eat up motorway miles - 172 LPG vs DCi

Rover 200 Vi
Hi all

Long time since I have been on here. Used to own a old skool 16v with a 2.0 Williams engine and she was great fun to drive. My first and only Clio but now I am considering coming back as I need to replace my slightly tired Rover 200 Vi that has done 30K with me over the last few years.

At the moment I do quite a lot of motorway miles. Probably about 14,000 per year of which at least 10,000 will be for work. My old Rover has done quite well, returning 40 mpg if kept at a steady 70mph. Being a 1.8vvc petrol though with a few mods she also has around 150bhp to play with every now and then!

So the sensible choice would be to get a DCi diesel. They seem to be going now pretty cheap and do 65 to the gallon. Problem is I really don't want to half my power and would be looking to tune her up pretty soon as I believe you can easily get 130bhp from one and still keep the mpg and reliability.

I have though also noticed a couple of 2.0 petrol 172s with LPG conversions. I imagine these are great to drive and with LPG should be nearly as cheap to run as the diesels. TBH this is more of my sort of car, but could there be potentially more problems down the line? Would be looking to keep my next car for at least two more years and need cheap and reliable.

Finally, in terms of comfort, what are both cars like. My Rover is not the most comfortable to drive (poor driving position, heavy clutch, harsh ride etc). Would I be signing up for more of the same with a Clio again?

Vectra SRi
I've been thinking similar myself, I've got a Mondeo TDCi currently, doing around 400 miles a week but I crave more fun! Considering a 172 or maybe 182, depending on budget! How do you find costs on the Trophy Wick? Mondeo's doing mid 40's so nothing spectacular (atleast 300 of my miles are motorway and dual carriage)

Rover 200 Vi
I wouldn't bother with the lpg. I do 24k a year in my trophy lol!!

On normal petrol? What MPG do you get from that?

Seen this one not a million miles from me. Worth the cash?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-Clio-Sport-172-Belts-Dephaser-Pully-Done-66k-Miles-Swap-/161048003317?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item257f3582f5

S
trangely its about 25 quid extra a year for the insurance for the 80/100 DCi and only 41 quid for the 172 with LPG!

The 172 is getting surprisingly tempting!

32-34 on super unleaded. But I don't hang about on the motorway. I can't help but think the LPG conversion would be false economy. It'd take you years to reclaim the fuel saving from the conversion.

RB 182
I wouldn't have thought an lpg conversion is needed tbf mate.

They are quite economical cars really, especially when on motorways/A roads. This week I was doing 100 miles a day and saw 42mpg throughout the whole week.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Factor in the cost of an LPG conversion and go from there, by the time it pays for it's self it won't have been worth the hassle and sacrifice of boot space. Buy a Phase 2 172 with cruise control and it'll do 35mpg al day long and have plenty of poke for when you need it.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
32-34 on super unleaded. But I don't hang about on the motorway. I can't help but think the LPG conversion would be false economy. It'd take you years to reclaim the fuel saving from the conversion.

Not if he gets one with it already done..
Saying that though he should see 40mpg+ driven like his Rover at 70 so wouldn't be overly bothered about getting one without if it was in better condition than the one with.

Rover 200 Vi
Looking at a converted one. Not going to buy one without. Anyone running a 172/182 on LPG? What would they cost to run?

Any thoughts on the DCi? Or are we all proper petrol heads on here? ;)

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I've never seen a 1*2 on lpg, lets face it, why would you? Who buys a hot-hatch to worry about economy? It just so happens that it happens to be a freak of a thing with regard to fuel economy.

Danny, very few people who do big mileage but cars without considering economy. Plus lots of performance car owners run lpg. I've been looking at s4/s6's this morning with LPG. 40mpg equivalent vs 20mpg, why wouldn't you?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Fair comment mate, but would you buy a car to then spend the value of the car to improve the economy? It sort of defeats the purpose?

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I personally wouldn't buy a clio to to purely motorway miles, I find on long jouneys due to lack of comfort I start to ache. I have done a 4 hour drive in one mind but wouldn't want to be crusing down the motorway everyday in one when there's other cars that do the job much better.

No wouldn't fit one to a Clio myself, but if could find one that had I'd buy it. They do exist.

Adam, agree to an extent, but its great to drive each end! For me for the last year there was not a better car out there. Will only change to something quicker and stuff ride.

320d
If you're going to get a 1*2 for motorway miles then keep it standard. They're actually pretty comfortable cars in standard trim.

Inevitably if you're like me it will end up with a decat exhaust system and lowering springs and as such not be as comfortable as it should be.

I've just switched to a brand new leased Ibiza FR and for day to day driving its great. I can now use roads I simply avoided in the 182. I miss the 182 but it wasn't a great daily driver, mainly due to the mods.

Rover 200 Vi
Good shout, a remap and that'd be a good cruiser but with plenty poke

Bit expensive for me. My budget is pretty much the value of my Rover (not much!) plus whatever I can borrow on a credit card. 1500 quid max basically. Sensible option is to get a DCi as I would save about a grand a year in fuel over the Rover but it depresses me to think I will be then cruising around in something that could not knock the skin of a rice pudding!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I've had 2 LPG converted 172's.

Pretty pointless tbh. 35-40mpg is hardly crap on fuel!

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
On normal petrol? What MPG do you get from that?

Seen this one not a million miles from me. Worth the cash?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-Clio-Sport-172-Belts-Dephaser-Pully-Done-66k-Miles-Swap-/161048003317?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item257f3582f5

S
trangely its about 25 quid extra a year for the insurance for the 80/100 DCi and only 41 quid for the 172 with LPG!

The 172 is getting surprisingly tempting!

Have you ever seen one for sale with it done?

The one the OP posted says it's LPG although I'd want to double check that with the seller 1st. I've also seen a few other over the years...

PH2 RS172
172s and motorways do not mix. i love my 172 to bits but if i had to do major motorway miles in it it would be a used as a second car or sold. leaving fuel econ out the equation they rev way to high for regular mway use imo unless you do 50mph everywhere which kinda defeats the point of owning one. 6th gear required badly... :-/

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
I love my 182 to bits, but it'd get tiresome if I did plenty of motorway journeys in it. I think they're amazing cars when you fancy a drive, but mine does annoy me driving home after a long day at work, when I'm not up for a drive.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
172s and motorways do not mix. i love my 172 to bits but if i had to do major motorway miles in it it would be a used as a second car or sold. leaving fuel econ out the equation they rev way to high for regular mway use imo unless you do 50mph everywhere which kinda defeats the point of owning one. 6th gear required badly... :-/

Eh??

They do 40mpg on the motorway, who cares what they sit at rev wise? :S

Focus ST-2
I find it irritating on the motorway - 75 mph & near 4000 rpm. That said I did a 200 mile round trip last week and saw 46mpg.
​I'd get a VAG diesel, as fast from 30 - 80 mph.

PH2 RS172
Eh??

They do 40mpg on the motorway, who cares what they sit at rev wise? :S

read what i put dude... i said fuel econ out of the equation. i love my clio... but after a one off trip to leicester the other day which isnt a million miles from me is a firm reminder that they are no rep wagon. if you can put up with the drone of 4000k revs for however long your journey is then thats your preference but really... a clio 172 as a reg motorway car? youd look like the pea out of a whistle after a few weeks.... i do the odd a road blasts every other day which are good fun but not big miles... no way....

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Unless you've got a silly loud exhaust I don't see how 4000rpm is much of an issue myself. I've travelled thousands of miles around europe in mine and always found it comfy.

I've done Birmingham to Taunton and back in a day at least 12 times in the last year in my ph1, 3 or 4 times with no radio. They are fine for long motorway journeys and I'm a big wimp when it comes to long drives!

Renault clio 2005
Looking at a converted one. Not going to buy one without. Anyone running a 172/182 on LPG? What would they cost to run?

Any thoughts on the DCi? Or are we all proper petrol heads on here? ;)

My dad has a dci 86 and it goes well will do 120 top speed and loads of torque atm he can`t drive so I have been driving him around in it and the torque is lovely but there is a small amount of turbo lag so does not feel as responsive as petrol until it gets above 2000 rpm on average this car has returned 54.8mpg with mosly rural and town driving.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
I do about 12k miles a year just communicating in a 182 that's done 105k miles and has cost me £1500. Its averaging 40.7 over the last few fill ups.

What the hell else could compare with that? fcuk lpg!

PH2 RS172
for me the clio revs overly high for mway use as a reg. these characteristics though are what makes it an awesome car off the mway. i have just a stealth back box which is louder than standard but it was still loud though with the stanfard (from an inside cab point of view) as is my mates 172 with standard exhaust. im wondering if its because the exhaust on a 172 in reverbing under the car as opposed to the 182s out the back exhaust setup which in turn is making the car appear a lot more like its screaming its head off all the time..... havent been in a 182 for ages but last time i did i dont remember it being as loud as the 172s ive been in...

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Admittedly they're not as quiet as a big rep mobile but I really didn't find my 172 with its standard or powerflow exhaust annoying sat at 70-90 on the motorway. I didn't feel I had to have the stereo on full whack to hear it... Same with my 182 with an RS192 and K-tax induction.

And believe me I'm not a big fan of loud/boomy (all the time) Clios. I'm far too old for that...