ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying advice needed by newbie.

Hi guys, I have just had a test drive in a MK1 2001 Clio 172, it has done 38,000 miles, with FPSH and is in very good shape (cheap tyres aside). The only issues that I have with it is a 'treacly' feeling gearbox (otherwise nice and prescise) and 'treacly' steering (like thick treacle is in the steering box). Also the throttle action was stiff and difficult to modulate, nothing one second then........oh my god this is quick!

Is this all OK/normal/reasonable/terrible?

Would you buy it?

In case youd like to know it's $16000 (about 5200 pounds)

I am writing this from New Zealand where Sport Clio's are so rare that this is the only 172 for sale in the whole country so I can't compare to others or just walk away and wait for another. I have been told that only 10 of these were ever sold here and the next one for sale could be 2 years away.

Can you help please?

Last edited:
  172 cup'd extreme
gearboxes are crap
throttle cable may need to be replaced
if the steering is hard the pump might be on its way out - listen out for whines

i'd say if its only one of a handful available to you, buy it otherwise you'll kick yourself if you dont. that is if its what you really want,