ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying advice - RB clio 182

BG Clio 182 FF
Morning all :)

I've been lurking on here for ages and I've finally decided to get myself a Clio 182 cup. I've found one locally but I have a few concerns. Hopefully you'll all point me in the right direction. :D

It's a Racing blue 182 cup with 80k on the clock, advertised for £2995.

Alloys and bodywork are a little tired but I guess it's to be expected on an 8 year old car. No probs with that.

My biggest question mark over the car is the timing belt/aux belt and dephaser. There is a garage invoice from 2011 which states "investigate engine noise" and the parts list shows "dephaser pulley" and "aux pulley". But no mention of the belt itself. Bill totals £600 including some other bits (plugs IIRC). Now I would think that if your going to the effort of changing the pulleys you would also change the belts? Or would just changing the pulleys be a cheapy/half-assed option. And £600 seems a lot for a couple of pulleys + labour (non-MD)

Reason i'm concerned is that the car looks like it's been run on a budget. All four tyres are cheap "non branded" jobbies and the car has been of the road for a while. Tax ran out in April. Car is being sold untaxed.

Also, when I asked when it was last serviced, the father said "last January" but the son (who is selling the car) quickly butted in and said "no, this January". I asked to see the service book and the last recorded service was January 2012 but I was told "it's definitely been serviced this year, if you buy the car we'll send the book away for you to get stamped up".

The guy is not budging much on price - offered him £2600 initially, then £2700 - wanted no less than £2750 (since he's only just fitted front disks and pads). After we went through the paperwork I told him I was going to have a think about it. Really not sure about it now. When I first saw the car I though "right, your coming home with me" but the more I looked, the more I found. A little disappointing to be honest.

In it's favour it does have a fresh MOT, a Milltek exhaust of some type and has just had new front disks and pads (presumably to get it through the MOT) otherwise I suspect the owner would not have bothered.

Am I right to be concerned? Or am I just being fussy? Walk away?

Sorry for the rambling post :p

As above just keep looking that's been properly looked after.

Id be upping the budget to R-Sports RB 182 on here if I was buying.

I got a near mint RB with full MD service history for £2900 or thereabouts a year ago.

There are loads about and that one sounds like abit of a nail. I'd offer £2000 for it as a take it or leave it offer.

Then you can get the belts done yourself.

BG Clio 182 FF
Thanks for the replies so far guys - sort of confirming what I suspect.

Such a shame, fell in love with it as soon as I saw it - first RB i'd seen in the flesh.

Bummer.

The trick is not to buy the first one you see. I'm guilty of this, I've done it will all my cars, but it's really best to look at afew.

The belts etc for me on that one would need re-doing for peace of mind £500

Four new tyres £500

So your already at three and a half. Steve on here is selling a mint one for £4000, so there no point getting the nail.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Tyres tell you everything you need to know. If someone has bought budget tyres, then the chances are they don't care about mechanical condition.

Same with the Belt. They had the dephaser changed but decided to save £100 by not having the belt kit renewed at the same time.

Avoid.

BG Clio 182 FF
The trick is not to buy the first one you see. I'm guilty of this, I've done it will all my cars, but it's really best to look at afew.

The belts etc for me on that one would need re-doing for peace of mind £500

Four new tyres £500

So your already at three and a half. Steve on here is selling a mint one for £4000, so there no point getting the nail.

Just buy Steves if you want RB!

Can anybody link to me Steve's ad? Had a poke around the "for sale" section but canny find it.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Pay ££ to be a member on here. See cars for sale section, save ££££ by buying from a member (and most of the time, being able to trace some of, if not all of the cars history through the forum)

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Think about it for a few days mate, by the sounds of things its not going anywhere soon.
I bet you that after a few days the bad bits with the car start to out weigh the good and you will think yourself lucky that you didnt spend you hard earned money.

As daniel has said the tyres are the only thing that keep you on the road so if the seller has gone cheap with these i very much dought the other bits like servicing have been done in the correct manner. (crap oil and things not being replaced when they have needed to be)
If you where to up your budget and buy from Steve R Sports i can assure you that you will have trouble free motoring and the cars he sells want for nothing.

If not then just wait and the right car will come up.
Good luck and when you do buy the right car you will love it. :)

RB182cup&golf gti
West Wales - Kent is a bit of a stretch but there is a BG 182 fairly local that I might go and look at tommorrow.

If you want a minter then the stretch is worth it. Mint 182s are becoming rarer and rarer and RB is such a great colour too. If I was in your shoes I'd be calling Steve

Clio sport
I bought mine for 3k .. 60k ish miles .. RB.. Mines in pretty good condition (I think), seemed to be well looked after. I drove 6 hours for it (there and back)

It's always worth the drive if it's a good car also u if any thing goes rong I always think it's Guna happen in the long arse drive home lol so u no if it's a winner or not