ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cable help please.

McGherkin

Macca fan boiiiii
ClioSport Club Member
I've had a nightmare trying to ask on a dedicated forum so I'm resorting to CS.
Has anyone found a micro USB male - female extension cable, which has all 5 pins connected up?
Most eBay cables have pins 1,2,3 and 5 connected, but as pin 4 is usually not required a lot of eBay cables don't bother connecting them up.
The application I'm using the cable for is for my mobius camera to output video, and to do this it has a harness which plugs into it which shorts pin 4 to ground, and therefore pin 4 needs to be connected.

If someone could link me to such a cable, that'd be fantastic.

McGherkin

Macca fan boiiiii
ClioSport Club Member
That's what I have, but I can't fit all that next to the mobius. So I need a Mini USB extension cable which plugs in between that and the Mobius and allows me to have the harness elsewhere, but it needs to have all 5 pins connected - there's plenty of mini USB extensions available, but not many that have all 5 pins connected.

This is what I'm after, but there must be cheaper ones than that which still work.
https://www.usbfirewire.com/Parts/rr-2mbr01-ext-xxgl5.html

182, SQ7, Trafic
Just get a multicore cable, cat 6 would be fine.

Send me the cable and I'll do it for you.

McGherkin

Macca fan boiiiii
ClioSport Club Member
That'd be great if you could!
I'd have to buy a new harness but it's probably easier if I pay you for the job now and you buy it directly from the link in post 2, if that's OK?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
or you could just use a normal micro usb cable, cut the USB end off, buy some of those ends from maplin and make your own cable up (so you have less joins)

edit - surely you only need the power for when its in your car anyway? or are you connecting it up to you hu?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Correct, it'll be outputting to the screen so I can playback etc.

Length needs to be about 2m.

these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-or-10-P...olled_JN&var=600346106723&hash=item4629b34170

and one of these (provided its the right end type, hard to tell from the picture, you get the idea though): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-10FT-..._MobilePhoneDataCables_JN&hash=item2ec04ffc05

cut the large end off, put JR connectors above on.

job done and no joins (nice n tidy, plus cable is more fixable then cat5) :smile:

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Someone just said I could short pins 4 and 5 in the connector on a boggo cable, how would I do that?
are you sure? Sometimes Pins 4 and 5 on a micro usb are a V++ and ground?! - actually ignore that, pin 4 is just an ID, so yes it should be ok to just short pin 4 to 5 provided that what the unit is expecting on pin 4

182, SQ7, Trafic
I'm just going to extend the usb side so you can still disconnect the plugs if need be.

I don't get what you mean about cable being more fixable than Cat5 though? I will probably use a multicore cable we stock for door entry systems as its a little bit more flexible.