ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CanClip problem help

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Hi all,

Just installed CanClip, have the Chinese tool etc. Installation instructions followed patches done etc.

CLIP starts up fine, communicates with the iteface and reads my VIN. From here I hit 'Computer Test' and it looks like the application exits, launches internet explorer and tries to head to a Renault website. Internet is disabled on this laptop.

Vid below - any advise would be mint. Im just uninstalling and reinstalling incase I did something daft.

Rob

PS status bar jumps because I paused the vid, not because it actually does that

msco0207

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Not sure what to suggest, possibly an activation issue? Or maybe one of files that needs to be copied/swapped after install?
It does usually close clip when you click computer test, but launches something called a multiplex network test, where you can go through the individual modules from there.
Sorry not much help!

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Old laptop 1 just ended its self, onto old laptop 2 which is substantially faster. Exact same thing.

Just checked and its 64bit arse! Thanks for pointing that out!

Seem to have ubuntu on here with XP under virtual box... now to see if I can get 7 32bit on VB and make the usb work... why do i do these thing to myself

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Right, after about 5 hours on this today and it works. Can't program anything (yet) but thats a whole new topic.

@Archtronics was c**k on. This (V178) will only run on Windows 7 32bit. TBF it does say that in the advert but who reads those before impulse purchasing.

Solution:

Download virtual box (other virtual machine platforms available VMware etc). I luckily had Ubuntu already installed on one of the old laptops with a XP running as a virtual machine.

Download dodgy as absolute f**k Win 7 pro 32bit. I just googled it and virus checked everything (alot).

Technically I think not breaking any laws, I have two unused laptops with 7 pro with intact product keys - i tried to download from Microsoft however kept hitting an error (not a deny, just a sever error, perhaps a bad day).

Install Windows 7 under Virtual box, install Virtual box extension pack (let you use USB), on Ubuntu make sure your part of the vboxuser group (google it, lots on USB info). Launch your windows 7 install and run guest additions. Plug in a USB stick to test the USB works.

Install CLIP as per instructions

Go out to car and test.

Pretty crappy instructions - if anyone wants some more specific (thought about during the day for more than 5mins...) let me know.

For me the end result is that I have cleared the faults generated by running the engine with various sensors unplugged (mong).

Good luck

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
There are definitely advantages to doing this as a virtual machine, for one your not editing your actual windows install registry etc.

I have lots of diagnostic kit for ford/jaguar/citroen/BMW and now Renault and historically have had driver conflicts. From now on I will install each under its own VM, which can also be backed up and restored easily should the laptop die. All this software takes an actually eternity to install.

plees

ClioSport Club Member
  S/C Iceberg 172 Cup
Unfortunately for you, looks like you’ll be getting a PM as you seem to know what your talking about 😂

Why V178 and not V195 for example? Cheers

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I know nothing - but will try to help as best I can. V178 is what came with my CAN clip, I bought from eBay after a recommendation from a few on here.

However the software says it will expire on 31/12/2020 which is not great. Apparently V200 expires in 2029 so I will likely buy/download that when it comes to it.

I would like to be able to program a couple of new keys I have, for that it looks like I will need a Pin Extractor Tool, Considering buying this:

But first I need to make it through the MOT.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Ren0link is epic for programming keys too if you want to invest in some more software and an obdSX lead. It has an option to pull the isk/pin off the uch, super easy to do.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Ren0link is epic for programming keys too if you want to invest in some more software and an obdSX lead. It has an option to pull the isk/pin off the uch, super easy to do.
Like this @Brigsy?

In fact i think it was you who recommended the CAN clip I bought - it works so cheers :)

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
@Touring_Rob the cartool version with red cable should be ok, i use the same cable and version 1.87, i got my cable off amazon and hoped to use a “borrowed” copy but ended up buying a licenced copy as my lead was blocked, was not too bad around £50 on ebay.

Clip is great, might be worth having a shot on coding keys with it if you have isk/pin available.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Clip can't f'ing diagnose this through can it.

Just went for MOT, got petrol - started engine battery light/stop light on. Arse.

Headed for home (2mins away from petrol station) smoke pouring out of bonnet, won't stop with engine off, no tools. Closed bonnet went straight home, battery cable off - 0.7 ohms measured across battery leads, so that would be a dead short in the alternator.

Absolute c**k monkeys.

Attachments

• PXL_20201217_123543927.mp4
    13.2 MB

plees

ClioSport Club Member
  S/C Iceberg 172 Cup
@Touring_Rob @Brigsy

Finally got Win 7 32 bit installed.

Clio loaded up. Finds the vehicle from the vin, but when you click “computer test” the screen closes like normal but “dll non trouve “ appears.

Presuming a fresh install may help?

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Can't help too much with V195. But the clip window is closing to open the multiplex network test as msco0207 suggested above.

Have you 100% installed 32bit? Also I might be wrong but I think later versions could run on windows 8 and 10.

Did you follow the install instructions to the letter?

From my notes (my install was not from .iso, yours might be, in which case you will need to mount as virtual drive)
  1. Right click on crack and select merge. Click yes a couple of times
  2. Install CLIP, allow comp to reset - do not open clip yet
  3. Find a file in the install directory called CLIP RSR, hit ctrl X (cut) this out to your desktop for later use
  4. Find same file within the patch directory, copy that to the install directory and run in as admin (right click, run as administrator)
  5. Enter licence key etc.
  6. Find the RSR file you dumped on the desktop, cut, paste into your install directory - select move/replace when prompted (replacing the patch RSR with the original).
Run Clip.

However, it looks like a file is missing. This link suggests that you need to install an older version (V178 for example) then upgrade to the newer version

plees

ClioSport Club Member
  S/C Iceberg 172 Cup
Yeah followed to the letter. Instructions I received with the Clip interface.

Will wipe it and start again. Nothing to lose! Failing that il have to see about installing an older copy I guess

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Id try reinstalling it again, sometimes needs a second attempt to get it running ok. Ive stuck with 178 as works and stable.

plees

ClioSport Club Member
  S/C Iceberg 172 Cup
Might sound stupid but is there an easy way to wipe it?

Fresh install win 7 last week so nothing else on the laptop just a shame to have to go through the windows install again if that’s the way

Thanks again for the help so far!