ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I have a 2011 Clio 1.2 16v - same engine as the Mk2 Clios.
Was going fine, turned the car off, jumped bsck in it and nothing happens when i turn the key.
The electrical fault light is on;
download.jpeg

If i attach jump leads this light isnt on, its like nothing is wrong with the car, if i turn the key i can hear the starter motor clicking but it doesnt get the car started.

Please help!

Smartie93

ClioSport Club Member
So if you attach the jump leads the problem goes away? Or if you attach the jump leads you can get the starter solenoid to click?

So if you attach the jump leads the problem goes away? Or if you attach the jump leads you can get the starter solenoid to click?

Theres no lights on the dash and the starter clicks but doesnt turn the car over.

Im thinking either the battery is too dead to give the starter enough power, or the starter motor is dead or maybe the coilpack and leads need changing.

Whats your thoughts?

That your battery is really dead.

Do you have a multimeter? Or can you swap the battery from the other car?

Dont have a multimeter unfortunately, i really should invest in one for all they do cost and i dont have another battery.

I do have a fast charger for a battery, ill try and hook that up, if no joy then ill replace the battery instead. If that doesnt help then ill try changing the starter motor, coilpack and HT leads. Spark plugs are only 3 months old

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
Sounds like the battery has had it. Give it a good charge or leave some leads on for half an hour but tbh a new battery is £40 from ecp. Peace of mind it’s not going to catch you out again.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Dont have a multimeter unfortunately, i really should invest in one for all they do cost and i dont have another battery.

I do have a fast charger for a battery, ill try and hook that up, if no joy then ill replace the battery instead. If that doesnt help then ill try changing the starter motor, coilpack and HT leads. Spark plugs are only 3 months old

Why do people do this lol. You engine isn't turning over how would coil packs/spark plugs/ht leads make any difference? Don't waste the money yet.

Out of curiosity - does it have any oil in it?

If yes, change the battery then check what your alternator is doing before driving the car anywhere.
If no, get on eBay and get car shopping.

Smartie93

ClioSport Club Member
Will it jump start?

If not then you’ve got a starter motor issue.

Not necessarily, just chucking jump leads on a dead car won't make it start if the battery is truly fubar. Most jump leads are of poor quality the jaws of which make poor connections that are only designed to help a tired battery.

You can, as has been suggested, leave the jump leads on for half an hour or so to use the running car's alternator to put a bit of juice into the dead battery before trying to jump start it.

Why do people do this lol. You engine isn't turning over how would coil packs/spark plugs/ht leads make any difference? Don't waste the money yet.

Out of curiosity - does it have any oil in it?

If yes, change the battery then check what your alternator is doing before driving the car anywhere.
If no, get on eBay and get car shopping.

Yes theres oil in it, i check that regularly, its 3/4 full last i checked.
The motor factors opens on 5 minutes so ill het on the phone to them and get a new battery and starter.
Im more confident its 1 of the 2 now after speaking to you lads on here.

Smartie93

ClioSport Club Member
The motor factors opens on 5 minutes so ill het on the phone to them and get a new battery and starter.

Don't waste your money on a starter yet!

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182

Will it jump start?

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
No. Tried that. Im waiting on a starter motor turning up at a local garage so i can go pick it up with a battery they have in stock then i can have a bash at it and get the car going again.

Did you connect the negative to the engine block or the negative on the battery?

Immobiliser lights not on or anything?

Did you connect the negative to the engine block or the negative on the battery?

Immobiliser lights not on or anything?

Connected the leads to the battery and left it for a while before trying to start it.

No immobiliser lights on at al, just the electrical fault light which is only on if the jump leads arent on the battery which is strange...

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Connected the leads to the battery and left it for a while before trying to start it.

No immobiliser lights on at al, just the electrical fault light which is only on if the jump leads arent on the battery which is strange...

Before you start changing any parts try jumping it with the negative on the engine block this should rule out a bad earth.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
I think there’s some ambiguity in your description about the non start.

When you say the starter is working as you can hear it clicking.

Do you mean it’s turning the engine over normally or it’s not turning the engine over and you can just hear a click noise when u turn the key?

I think there’s some ambiguity in your description about the non start.

When you say the starter is working as you can hear it clicking.

Do you mean it’s turning the engine over normally or it’s not turning the engine over and you can just hear a click noise when u turn the key?

I hear a clicking noise when i turn the key. It only does it when i have the jump leads on though

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
If it turns out to not be the battery it could be the starter solenoid, not engaging the starter?

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Yes could be. But if your car doesn't have a constant drain with ignition off, and you didn't leave light on etc. Then its unusual for the battery to die to totally and suddenly - after driving.

Worth getting or borrowing a cheap multimeter and having a quick test. I've seen cars with a fault regulator which massively overcharged the battery.

Yes could be. But if your car doesn't have a constant drain with ignition off, and you didn't leave light on etc. Then its unusual for the battery to die to totally and suddenly - after driving.

Worth getting or borrowing a cheap multimeter and having a quick test. I've seen cars with a fault regulator which massively overcharged the battery.

Well the last time it happened i was listening to music whilst cleaning the interior but the headlights were on and i never noticed coz it was during the day.

Ill have a look at it anyway bud