ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Castor difference & wheel not returning to centre HELP!

B-shaw557

ClioSport Club Member
This weekend I replaced literally everything aside from the coilovers on the front suspension

(Hubs & northloopcup bumpsteer correction kit, cup wishbones, polyflex everything, new inner tie rods, new bearings, new driveshafts, PMS solid top mounts & brace) and probably other things I forgot. literally everything.

Noticed straight away the passenger side wheel looked to sit further forward

Driver:

48533929761_ee69609d73_c.jpg
IMG_20190813_105120 by B-shaw55, on Flickr

Passenger:

48533929351_8890d90e97_c.jpg
IMG_20190813_105109 by B-shaw55, on Flickr

Everyone one the CSOC facebook page jumped to the conclusion it was because the tracking hadnt been done and the bumper wasnt sat right

Got tracking done, and the chap was like, passenger wheel is almost 5mm further forward

48534086202_28f9a1eee2_c.jpg
IMG_20190813_221839 by B-shaw55, on Flickr

I'm not sure if that is 5mm, could anyone confirm? is that bad enough to cause issues?

On driving back I noticed the steering is very heavy and the wheel doesn't return to centre.

I checked the tracking from before and the castor is almost perfect, so I'm putting it down to something I've fitted.
All I can think is its an issue with the wishbones.

Can anyone help as I have a hillclimb event on Saturday and I need it sorted before then.

@NorthloopCup any ideas? Could I have fitted something wrong with the kit?

I've checked both wishbones are cup ones, as i did wonder if i had been sold odd ones.
I may bang the old ones back on to see if that cures it, but its a lot of effort when the cars my daily. if its doesn't solve it

Also remembered I had a right ballache fitting the drivers side wishbone, getting the washers in (powerflex bushes) on the left side of both bush was really hard, but the right side of the bushes was pretty much loose.
How much castor should cup wishbones have? which side is actually closer to being correct?

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
Dunno if this helps you. My car is a Cup and definitely has the right wishbones. I have K-Tec solid mounts standard Hubs and running Ast5100s. Black bushes were tight getting the washers in on mine too. What I have noticed is after I had a Gripper diff fitted the steering is a lot heavier but does centre ok. Anyhow. Here is my setup sheet and I seem to have more caster than you.
D764AACC-39D6-4415-9C0B-183B560F3253.png

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
This weekend I replaced literally everything aside from the coilovers on the front suspension

(Hubs & northloopcup bumpsteer correction kit, cup wishbones, polyflex everything, new inner tie rods, new bearings, new driveshafts, PMS solid top mounts & brace) and probably other things I forgot. literally everything.

Noticed straight away the passenger side wheel looked to sit further forward

Driver:

View attachment 1430002IMG_20190813_105120 by B-shaw55, on Flickr

Passenger:

View attachment 1430003IMG_20190813_105109 by B-shaw55, on Flickr

Everyone one the CSOC facebook page jumped to the conclusion it was because the tracking hadnt been done and the bumper wasnt sat right

Got tracking done, and the chap was like, passenger wheel is almost 5mm further forward

View attachment 1430004IMG_20190813_221839 by B-shaw55, on Flickr

I'm not sure if that is 5mm, could anyone confirm? is that bad enough to cause issues?

On driving back I noticed the steering is very heavy and the wheel doesn't return to centre.

I checked the tracking from before and the castor is almost perfect, so I'm putting it down to something I've fitted.
All I can think is its an issue with the wishbones.

Can anyone help as I have a hillclimb event on Saturday and I need it sorted before then.

@NorthloopCup any ideas? Could I have fitted something wrong with the kit?

I've checked both wishbones are cup ones, as i did wonder if i had been sold odd ones.
I may bang the old ones back on to see if that cures it, but its a lot of effort when the cars my daily. if its doesn't solve it

Also remembered I had a right ballache fitting the drivers side wishbone, getting the washers in (powerflex bushes) on the left side of both bush was really hard, but the right side of the bushes was pretty much loose.
How much castor should cup wishbones have? which side is actually closer to being correct?
Nah the hubs are very much plug and play buddy. You need to have a look at the subframe to see if the rear bolt holes have elongated. Definitely check your wishbones though, but the drivers side looks to be giving the correct cup castor offset.