ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Catalytic converter prices

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Seems to be the most guarded secret on the fb groups and is a proper gripe of mine.

What are people's Thoughts on all these characters asking to buy cats on rhe pages, clearly only to sell them on at double the price?
Really doesn't sit right with me. I get someone breaking a car cos that takes space and effort, but not the sneaky tactics on fb where folk are knowingly offering low payments for oem cats to sell on.

Seen a post today that a 172 one is being offered for 240, which to mw suggests it's worth more like 400.

One thing i like about this forum is that it'sa community and profiteering is explicitly unacceptable. Fb groups really lack this, its a shame forums are dying off (except this one)

dan's cast offs.
buying one at £240 isn't going to leave much profit i wouldn't of thought? one of the cat buyers who comes to me was gobsmacked at the price i said as he was genuinely told £165 from the place he sell them to.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Well the bloke whos been buying civic ones at a massively low price for ages has started asking for 172 cats saying he pays 240, so going off that they're worth a hell of a lot more!
Eg, fn2 cat was offering 120, i sold mine for 225

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
To be fair you can just say this with anything. I think if people aren't willing to do the research on what they're selling then that's their own fault. Everyone loves a bargain, and if something comes up cheap then you buy it.
I think cat recyclers are able to get the maximum profit from them because they're literally at the last stage of the process. They will still have overheads like anyone else, and you can't ever expect to get full value for the precious metals yourself.

It's like saying 'oh the scrapyard only offered me £5 rather than the £10 they'll make melting it down but you'd have no-one to sell to if there wasn't profit in it.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
To be fair you can just say this with anything. I think if people aren't willing to do the research on what they're selling then that's their own fault. Everyone loves a bargain, and if something comes up cheap then you buy it.
I think cat recyclers are able to get the maximum profit from them because they're literally at the last stage of the process. They will still have overheads like anyone else, and you can't ever expect to get full value for the precious metals yourself.

It's like saying 'oh the scrapyard only offered me £5 rather than the £10 they'll make melting it down but you'd have no-one to sell to if there wasn't profit in it.

I get that, but these guys aren't scrappers. They're not advertising prices and instead using private messages to low ball and keep it off the public view. Then sell them to scrap yards at their true value which is a lot more.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Aye, I used to buy them for £60-100 and get £150 at one point. Me and mates usually buy 172's on the cheap, decat them and then sell em on after doing a few bits to em🤣 Easy money and if they're absolute nails then they get broken.

Prices are just retarded for scrap now. My local was £96 a tonne for vehicle steel not too long back, got £40 for a completely gutted Clio shell, was f**king off me tits with that result🤣

It might have a factor to do with #BrexitMeansBrexit

Clio 172 cup
Aye, I used to buy them for £60-100 and get £150 at one point. Me and mates usually buy 172's on the cheap, decat them and then sell em on after doing a few bits to em🤣 Easy money and if they're absolute nails then they get broken.

Prices are just retarded for scrap now. My local was £96 a tonne for vehicle steel not too long back, got £40 for a completely gutted Clio shell, was f**king off me tits with that result🤣

It might have a factor to do with #BrexitMeansBrexit
i got £130 for my mrs old swift , i was genuinely amazed that it was that much

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Who? Facebook message me mate 👀👀 got one here
Just ring the number on the window mate

Screenshot_20190830-071157_Chrome.jpg

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Why do 1*2 cats have more platinum in them as opposed to say an ST?

monaco 172
I bought a brand new cat2u cat for 100 quid for my 172 and it never failed the emissions test.

Why did Renault feel the need to put so much precious metals inside of it could have been done alot cheaper?

I bought a brand new cat2u cat for 100 quid for my 172 and it never failed the emissions test.

Why did Renault feel the need to put so much precious metals inside of it could have been done alot cheaper?
Improved design and/or technology since the Clios were made, I would reckon - although AFAIK they're all pretty much the same!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
We need a cat for a customers yaris.

New about 130. Second hand about the same.

As above its to do with how they are made.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
I don’t see how you can be mad at folk with a bit of guile making some money? Jealousy?

If someone is stupid enough to not check eBay/forums before selling something like that then that’s their problem.

It’s how any company makes profit. Charge more for the product/service than it costs

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
I don’t see how you can be mad at folk with a bit of guile making some money? Jealousy?

If someone is stupid enough to not check eBay/forums before selling something like that then that’s their problem.

It’s how any company makes profit. Charge more for the product/service than it costs

Guile? Lolz. I could quite easily join in and underhandedly rip people off and do exactly the same. All they're doing is buying them and selling them on.

My point is that these forums are supposed to be a car community, but then these blokes are just cashing in for their own gain. I'll always post up on someone's for sale thread stating that they can get £x for their cat if they wanted to, rather than have someone snapping up every single cat for sod all, purely to make a fast buck off that person.

That's called helping someone out, or I guess having no guile.

I remember when folk used to give away parts on these forums when they sold their car and moved on, as a thanks for all the help they'd received while being a member/user. You wouldn't get that now.

Breakers as I say are different, they have to use their skills/resource to break a car and sell bits on.