ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Catalytic converter prices

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
On the emissions side the gas analyser will communicate with DVSA while being plugged into the OBD port so no shoving the probe up the exhaust of Dorris' Honda Jazz parked next to the 800hp Evo 7 you're testing, also cameras live linked to swansea and brake rollers connected too.

Seems an awful lot of work to bring in a system right as we're supposed to be switching to electric?
I can't see camera's being worth a damn either, not with over 23,000 test centres to monitor.

Mind you it's not hard to pass the MOT, and if you clearly can't then your car really shouldn't be on the road anyway.

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
Cameras will record and store 4 weeks of logged on testing time, the data will be checked for anomalies and can be used in appeals, it won't be live monitored unless certain trigger points are hit or the test station is under investigation.

It's not hard to pass a test conducted properly, unfortunately there are just as many tests carried out at too stringent levels by garages wanting work, this system is to protect road safety standards from those just letting things slide and the public from being exploited by unscrupulous garages.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Cameras will record and store 4 weeks of logged on testing time, the data will be checked for anomalies and can be used in appeals, it won't be live monitored unless certain trigger points are hit or the test station is under investigation.

It's not hard to pass a test conducted properly, unfortunately there are just as many tests carried out at too stringent levels by garages wanting work, this system is to protect road safety standards from those just letting things slide and the public from being exploited by unscrupulous garages.
A car can still be rotten and pass though? Cant plug into an obd for that

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Yeah sounds like bullshit to me,

The costs of collecting and storing 4 weeks worth of video data centralised to the DVLA and paying people to sift through it would be astronomical.

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
Some public references, just google connected mot equipment

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
So what you're saying is that garages now have to be a certified CCTV tech and make sure everything is recorded just because the DVSA said so?

Not everyone has the money to afford that s**t so all they're gonna do is put smaller 1 man band garages out of business... Very good

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
So what you're saying is that garages now have to be a certified CCTV tech and make sure everything is recorded just because the DVSA said so?

Equipment will only have to upgraded when new stuff is installed for the next few years, then it'll become mandatory to have it by 2025 ish , Halfords and kwik fit are upgrading regardless.

Not everyone has the money to afford that s**t so all they're gonna do is put smaller 1 man band garages out of business... Very good

Current MoT Fee is for a class 4 £54.85, yet the smaller one man garages charge on average £38 so there is plenty of scope to cover the cost by charging the recommended amount.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Current MoT Fee is for a class 4 £54.85, yet the smaller one man garages charge on average £38 so there is plenty of scope to cover the cost by charging the recommended amount.
But how many people are willing to pay £54 mate?

It's one of them things where a lot of people will turn their nose up at it but nobody has a say in the matter because it's a lose-lose situation. They're not just gonna turn around and say "oh infect were not gonna go ahead with this now just because you cant do it"

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Some public references, just google connected mot equipment

I don't doubt garages will be required to have internet connected mot equipment that just makes sense and doesn't cost the dvsa anything.

It's the camera bit that sounds unfeasable given the DVLA currently needs to make 34% budget savings by the end of this year.

From the dvla business plan.

"moving away from a large scale IT contract and reducing IT consultancy resources and costs"
"reducing project capital costs which, as well as the end of life of significant legacy assets, reduced the depreciation cost"

"The delivery of our technical transformation, requires a significant investment of resource and effort. To support this we have implemented a Centre of Digital Excellence and moved to a squad and product-based delivery structure with an integrated talent, attraction and growth model. We have recruited 32 apprentices and 6 IT industry students"

I wouldn't worry if they can only afford students and apprentices there no way they can deliver a mass surveillance system on the cheap.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
So the cameras are all proposals at the moment, ill believe it when i see it.

Decat is hardly an issue or life threatening mot fail to be honest, bang a sports cat on in the normal location, or stock cat once a year, minor map adjustments around idle to suit. Im all for the dangerous cars failing that have the blind man mot, should not be on the road.

Id expect an increase in mot friendly maps in the future on modern stuff to accomodate for it.

Hopefully will never go to government run mot test stations like NI.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
So the cameras are all proposals at the moment, ill believe it when i see it.

Yea I can just imagine the uproar from loads of little MOT stations being told they must shell out for CCTV and such.

It doesn't look like the OBD equipment they've been testing is totally reliable either, plus not every car they test will have OBD anyway.
So they're still gunna need the provision to do the test the old way regardless.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Yea I can just imagine the uproar from loads of little MOT stations being told they must shell out for CCTV and such.

It doesn't look like the OBD equipment they've been testing is totally reliable either, plus not every car they test will have OBD anyway.
So they're still gunna need the provision to do the test the old way regardless.
Or cars that have a proper full on standalone management, complete new harness and dont have an OBD port anymore

Seems like a load of b****cks to me for very little gains

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
I know 100s of small local garages that do MOTs , Some have 10 members of staff and some have 3 members of staff.

Some work out of small 2 bay workshops and others work out of 6 bay workshops that are average and struggle to see how some of these places can afford or will want to run all this high tech OBD internet connected equipment with live CCTV and I cant see DVLA or DVSA putting there hand in there pocket and paying for all this to be installed.

There is some back street garages that are doing £25 MOTs and they are not actually trying to fleece you either, its a way for them to keep there everyday reliable customers that they have had for years.

Its your Arnold clarks / Halfords / Kwik Fit's that charge £40/£50 an MOT due to there overheads as its only £1.50/£2.00 a MOT Slot and it will be them that can afford to install all this and the MOTs will hike up also.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Question is, who in their right mind would bother to decat a clio anyway. It just makes zero sense to me on a 170bhp NA car. Forget decats and get a good quality set of new tyres, that’s the only mod a road going 1*2 needs.

Turbo cars generally react really well to a decat but an NA car just makes extra noise (and not in a good way, a raspy NA with a decat way)

I remember years ago (before cats) hearing they were coming in and think F that! Now when I work Classic cars I just think god they stink and make your clothes stink. Just that alone is enough to make me glad cars aren’t like that anymore.

I also work in a garage part time and when we get cat’less cars on the MOT bay it’s f’ing horrible being in the workshop. I can’t imagine what it’d be like with every car being like it, I’d not be working in a garage that’s for sure.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
There is some back street garages that are doing £25 MOTs and they are not actually trying to fleece you either, its a way for them to keep there everyday reliable customers that they have had for years.
My mate does this and TBH the general car driving public is that f**king oblivious to safety that he has enough on his plate without trying to make up failures with the amount of tyre cord, pads down to the metal and snapped springs he comes across on a daily basis

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
My mate does this and TBH the general car driving public is that f**king oblivious to safety that he has enough on his plate without trying to make up failures with the amount of tyre cord, pads down to the metal and snapped springs he comes across on a daily basis

Exactly, Its old Mrs Smith who is 82 driving her P plate corsa she has had from new that keeps on going back to Old Norman who is in his late 50s thats doing the MOT and its him that comes across a bald tyre or snapped spring so he is happy to take the £25 for the initial MOT and another £40 or what ever he charges for doing the coil spring that he bought from his local motor factor.

Do you really think Norman wants to install all the Equipment and CCTV and stuff just for a £25 MOT and a snapped coil spring ?
If so then his MOT price goes up to possibly £35/40 to cover costs of all this equipment and old Mrs Smith goes else where and gets fleeced buy a main workshop and old Norman loses a pile load of customers and money

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Exactly, Its old Mrs Smith who is 82 driving her P plate corsa she has had from new that keeps on going back to Old Norman who is in his late 50s thats doing the MOT and its him that comes across a bald tyre or snapped spring so he is happy to take the £25 for the initial MOT and another £40 or what ever he charges for doing the coil spring that he bought from his local motor factor.

Do you really think Norman wants to install all the Equipment and CCTV and stuff just for a £25 MOT and a snapped coil spring ?
If so then is MOT price goes up to possibly £35/40 and old Mrs Smith goes else where and gets fleeced buy a main workshop and Norman loses a pile load of customers and money
This is EXACTLY what I was getting at with the £16 price difference s**t earlier

Everyone shops around for the best deal and because an MOT is supposed to be the same standard across the board people pull the wool over their own eyes. So they go for either the cheapest MOT or the most convenient for them

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Didn’t realise these were going for that much these days, over 5years ago you couldn’t give them away 😮

I’ve still got my 40+k mile cat here from my old Cup after I replaced it for a BTB modded 182 cat.

AB17C92A-0096-4A81-AC68-A99590BCBA21.jpeg
9ED9E183-FA72-466B-82A8-B1B9513C1428.jpeg

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Question is, who in their right mind would bother to decat a clio anyway. It just makes zero sense to me on a 170bhp NA car. Forget decats and get a good quality set of new tyres, that’s the only mod a road going 1*2 needs.

Turbo cars generally react really well to a decat but an NA car just makes extra noise (and not in a good way, a raspy NA with a decat way)

I remember years ago (before cats) hearing they were coming in and think F that! Now when I work Classic cars I just think god they stink and make your clothes stink. Just that alone is enough to make me glad cars aren’t like that anymore.

I also work in a garage part time and when we get cat’less cars on the MOT bay it’s f’ing horrible being in the workshop. I can’t imagine what it’d be like with every car being like it, I’d not be working in a garage that’s for sure.
I better take all my mods off and just leave the ad08rs in place then as my cars a daily. Been doing it all wrong for years!

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Never have I heard such rubbish in all my life. Sound like my dad 😂

True though. Great cars standard for our roads and most kids would rather put a noisy exhaust and an induction kit on than a decent set of fresh tyres.

A mate of mine had a trophy with a full system and it was terrible to be in and obnoxious from outside where it’s just screaming about its 180bhp.

They’ve actually got a pretty decent tone stock and the older I get the more I realise manufacturers generally get things right for the road.

As time goes by I’m sure we’ll see more people putting them to original, a bit like older cars like 205 GTI’s etc.

But don’t let my opinion offend you, it’s only that! It’s plenty of other people’s opinion that the clio is a better road car with a loud exhaust and lowered ride height.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Yeah apparently. They'll pick up again tho. Folk stock pile them and cash in when price goes up.

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I checked back a few weeks ago and was offered £405 which is still decent but it isn't £500 lets be honest... I'll just sit back and wait for this to all blow over

monaco 172
Prices change aLL the time.

A couple of weeks ago I was offered 340 for one, and then last week I sold it for 385 to the same bloke.