ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing the dashboard illumination

fastest passat in't world
Has anyone done the full conversion yet?

I have bought a dial conversion LED kit from ebay and fitted it, changed the electric window switch LED;s, the ESP button and the rear screen and door lock button. Im now in the process of changing the LED's for the data screen on the top of the dash which will just leave me with the climate control to do.

Took it out for a spin last night after I had converted the clocks and the entire car's look is transformed, i went for red but used blue for the digital screen and they look amazing, the other switches are also red and im doing the digi display for the radio and climate in blue.

Am i the first then or has anyone else decided that orange is about as exciting as a conversation with Steve Davis?

For anyone interested, the dial kit on ebay is sold by crazyleds

182 - conneries de c
Sounds cool!

How easy was it to change the LEDs? Any soldering involved?

Interrested in doing this myself as want to match the display in my 182 to a new headunit I'm look at getting.

Any chance of some pics, please?

Every one needs soldering and the stereo display needs the inners removing, de orangeing then refitting with blue or red LED's. i will get some pics up when ive finished the full conversion, just got the climate control to do now, hopefully it will come out nice:)

1.2 MK2 PH2
on the sellers s**t says they are only for 172/182/v6, but if im right all the dials ect are the same so this could be applied to all clios 2+ right? i wouldnt mind doing it... probably in green though :D

Just completed the full car now, it looks amazing, all my screens are blue and all the switches and dials are red, going to fit some mood lighting LED's into the interior light section and then it will look even sweeter.

Its taken a while and isnt particularly easy, but now i know what im doing i reckon I could do a full car in a couple of hours.

Will get some pics taken tonight if anyone is interested.

R35 GTR
I can convert all the leds in the car. Surface mount stuff isnt advisable for people new to soldering. Send me your switches/displays, some cash and I'll do it.:D

Bye Bye 182....
Dave3141 said:
I can convert all the leds in the car. Surface mount stuff isnt advisable for people new to soldering. Send me your switches/displays, some cash and I'll do it.:D

woow slow down champ

we havent even finished mine yet honey??

R35 GTR
my_cougar49 said:
woow slow down champ

we havent even finished mine yet honey??

shhhhhh!!!!!

Get your ass down to the bbq.lol. Its pissing it's down perfect weather!

cya at 9ish yeh?

Stanced Honda S2000
unikarl said:
Just completed the full car now, it looks amazing, all my screens are blue and all the switches and dials are red, going to fit some mood lighting LED's into the interior light section and then it will look even sweeter.

Its taken a while and isnt particularly easy, but now i know what im doing i reckon I could do a full car in a couple of hours.

Will get some pics taken tonight if anyone is interested.

howmuch would you want for all doing in a neon blue ?

Rich_M said:
howmuch would you want for all doing in a neon blue ?

Blue surface mount LED's are 69p each for the dash and climate screen, you need 10 for the dash (clocks) and 28 for the climate. the LED's for all the switches are just 3mm jobbies that are around 50p each and you need 6, three windows, 1 esp switch, 1 heated screen and 1 door lock, thats the easy part done, the difficult part is the radio display as i need to make my own circuit board which needs abouit another 20 surface mount LED's.

In cost alone it works out at £43.02. It would take me between 2 to 3 hours to convert the entire car, thats providing you remove the parts and refit them.

I need to get a good picture of mine but every time i take one, the red looks orange. Anyone near Leeds thats good with a camera?

Bye Bye 182....
unikarl said:
Blue surface mount LED's are 69p each for the dash and climate screen, you need 10 for the dash (clocks) and 28 for the climate. the LED's for all the switches are just 3mm jobbies that are around 50p each and you need 6, three windows, 1 esp switch, 1 heated screen and 1 door lock, thats the easy part done, the difficult part is the radio display as i need to make my own circuit board which needs abouit another 20 surface mount LED's.

In cost alone it works out at £43.02. It would take me between 2 to 3 hours to convert the entire car, thats providing you remove the parts and refit them.

I need to get a good picture of mine but every time i take one, the red looks orange. Anyone near Leeds thats good with a camera?

do you have a link for the type of sm leds needed for the climate control and clocks? Are they the same? Thanks

Yes, the LED's for the climate are the same as the clock, you can get them from ebay off of crazyleds.

The part you will struggle with is the radio screen and the climate screen. These both have an orange filter, I sanded the filter down so it was transparent again then put a fine layer of white paint over it, not you can shine any colour you like through it.

Bye Bye 182....
unikarl said:
Yes, the LED's for the climate are the same as the clock, you can get them from ebay off of crazyleds.

The part you will struggle with is the radio screen and the climate screen. These both have an orange filter, I sanded the filter down so it was transparent again then put a fine layer of white paint over it, not you can shine any colour you like through it.

Thanks a lot matey

Monaco 172 2/468
unikarl said:

Where abouts in Leeds are you ? I would love to get this done :cool:

Ibanezman said:
Where abouts in Leeds are you ? I would love to get this done :cool:

I live in Cookridge mate, work in Bradford if thats any easier for you? I have enough spare LED's left over to do another car as I bought loads incase i shagged mine up!!

Monaco 172 2/468
unikarl said:
I live in Cookridge mate, work in Bradford if thats any easier for you? I have enough spare LED's left over to do another car as I bought loads incase i shagged mine up!!

Erm how freaky I also live in Cookridge lol, small world, I can come and see you and have a look..... might even be close enough to walk.... erm, nah i'll drive :cool:

....you don't drive a black 172 do you ??

Last edited:
Ibanezman said:
Erm how freaky I also live in Cookridge lol, small world, I can come and see you and have a look..... might even be close enough to walk.... erm, nah i'll drive :cool:

....you don't drive a black 172 do you ??

Lol, nope, mine is silver with black/silver wheels. Not seen you around TBH.

I work in the Fox and Hounds at the bottom of tinshill lane/road and the car will be there tonight if you want to have a look, just pop in and i'll give you the keys mate :)

You might have seen my last car around, it was a bright yellow LCR, KRL on the plate, black lights and tints.

Do you live on Tinshill Rd by any chance?

Clio 182 Trophy 047/500
That looks amazing, not sure i would go and do all that work though. For some reason i prefer the Orange look, I know i am weird.

I notice that the radio display you can actually see where each of the bulbs sit, does this make it hard to read the display when the radio is on???

SteveC047 said:
That looks amazing, not sure i would go and do all that work though. For some reason i prefer the Orange look, I know i am weird.

I notice that the radio display you can actually see where each of the bulbs sit, does this make it hard to read the display when the radio is on???

The radio display was OK until i hit a big pothole and the LED's slipped inside it. They just need moving about a bit and it will be pretty even again.

I fancy adding a few more touches now like backlighting behind the door handles and little things like that. I eventually want it to light up as nice as my old golf V5 did.