ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing upper engine mount- how much ofa ballache is it?

Allan H

ClioSport Club Member
  Ford Puma, Focus
Changed to a decat and am getting massive vibrations at low revs- top engine mount is moving quite a bit and the bolt on the cam cover section nearest bulkhead has threaded. Got a replacement cam cover bit that hopefully has good threads- is it easier just sourcing a bolt that's a few mil longer and changing the rubber mount or am I better changing the whole part? I have the kangoo mount to go on the inner arch too btw.
Cheers.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Its a doddle to do both, Support engine and remove/refit. Change the upper cambelt cover its easy to do. I have retapped one and used a longer bolt to get me away but not ideal.

Allan H

ClioSport Club Member
  Ford Puma, Focus
Does the alternator need to be undone? Worried about the aux belt tensioner but have heard a jubilee clip takes the tension out ok..

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Don't need to touch any of the belt system, just jack the engine up and undo the top mount bracket and remove the bits you need to replace.

I'm such a pikie I don't even remove the undertray, just jack it up till it supports engine, lol

Flamer Barn Find
Upper engine mount is 5 minutes literally. Support engine weight with jack, 4 bolts attaching mount to the chassis leg and then I think 4 bolts attaching the upper cambelt cover. Pull the whole lot off then undo the 16mm IIRC nut in the middle of the engine mount then reassemble.

I highly recommend the powerflex / poly insert for the upper engine mount.

Allan H

ClioSport Club Member
  Ford Puma, Focus
Upper engine mount is 5 minutes literally. Support engine weight with jack, 4 bolts attaching mount to the chassis leg and then I think 4 bolts attaching the upper cambelt cover. Pull the whole lot off then undo the 16mm IIRC nut in the middle of the engine mount then reassemble.

Aye I've got one of those too.
Thanks.

Allan H

ClioSport Club Member
  Ford Puma, Focus

It's the lower mount too tho!

Flamer Barn Find
It's the lower mount too tho!
lower one in the passenger side wheel well that goes from gearbox to subframe - 10 mins maximum. again just suspend the weight of the engine / box with a jack.

Whilst there take the time to clean up the earth strap and ensure you refit it nice and tight as this can stop a lot of issues occuring in the future.

Flamer Barn Find
If it's the twisted dogbone that goes from the gearbox to the subframe - again - 10 mins.

If you're replacing that to reduce vibrations, I personally recommend the flo-flex dogbone mount. I've found the EVOL ones give a lot of vibration but are really good.

Allan H

ClioSport Club Member
  Ford Puma, Focus
lower one in the passenger side wheel well that goes from gearbox to subframe - 10 mins maximum. again just suspend the weight of the engine / box with a jack.

Whilst there take the time to clean up the earth strap and ensure you refit it nice and tight as this can stop a lot of issues occuring in the future.
Sorry. It's the upper mount lower bracket that's needing done.
Either that or I get a longer bolt as the thread in the lower mount is away.
80mm xm10 bolt?

Allan H

ClioSport Club Member
  Ford Puma, Focus
Sorry for confusion folks. It's the upper engine mount lower section where one of the threads has gone. Trying to decide if I could just get a new bolt or fit the spare lower mount section I have.