ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Chasing a straight line Pt2

CursedTitanium 182FF
Following on from this thread: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...straight-line&highlight=chasing+straight+line

I have been to BTM a few times now, it's had the kinked subframe replaced for a straight one, new sump, new OS SMI tie rod arm, new top mount bushes and bearings, front wheel bearings, inner and outer FARB bushes, all three engine mounts and a cambelt and aux belt with water pump change.

I have fitted, newish shocks (still had the blue/yellow stickers on) bottom arms with ball joints (Genuine), track rod ends (Lemforder), OS drive shaft, front discs and pads (Brembo HC off G172), rear discs (Genuine inc spacer) and Eibach camber bolts.

Now I would have thought with all that it would drive like new, but it doesn't. I am getting a knock from the front right when playing with the throttle or just as you come to a stop and let off the brake.
It is also very skittish when hard accelerating and breaking, feels like the right wheel wants to make a break for it towards the on coming traffic.

When I did the drive shaft it went together very smoothly, no problem with the splines at all.

Been to Birchdown today to get the MOT done, it still has the ABS, Service and TC light on. Which was reading as a steering angle sensor fault: Reading 87000 deg when steering straight.
He cleared the faults got it through the MOT, but driving away the Service and TC light came back on, which he did say it would till fixed, but then further down the road the ABS light came back on.

I had Birchdown look for anything loose at the front but he said he couldn't find anything.

So to get to my point, does anyone have any clue as to what may be the problem. (It's driving me mad!)

Willing to travel (within reason)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
TBH if a couple of experienced people like BTM and Birchdown cant tell with the car in front of them, I dont see how anyone else is going to guess across the internet with much luck :(

Have you had a proper alignment check including caster?

CursedTitanium 182FF
I only have this one which shows the caster
th_Image_zps3876d8ae.gif

This is the latest one
th_Image2_zpsd3bbbace.gif

I understand what your saying about hard to tell over the web and I'm unsure if Birchdown had a real good look, just checked the obvious.

Last edited:
  CursedTitanium 182FF
This weekend, I plan on taking the whole OS/F suspension apart to try and get to the bottom of it. Do you think it's possible for the caliper to be making the knock.
I really would like to know what it is as this has been ongoing for three years now.

CursedTitanium 182FF
Just out of interest, do you know if a second hand steering angle sensor can be used to replace a faulty one or do I have to buy new?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
yeah you can use secondhand, just has to be lined up correctly

caliper mounting bolt loose would cause a knock, maybe really bad wear on the caliper could too

CursedTitanium 182FF
caliper mounting bolt loose would cause a knock, maybe really bad wear on the caliper could too

I know for a fact they are tight as I checked before I left my mates after doing the drive shaft. Would worn sliders have the same effect?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I know for a fact they are tight as I checked before I left my mates after doing the drive shaft. Would worn sliders have the same effect?

They would have to be really worn and even them in not sure, not one I have seen happen.

LY FF182
You should be able to get the steering angle sensor reset by someone with decent diagnostic gear

CursedTitanium 182FF
You should be able to get the steering angle sensor reset by someone with decent diagnostic gear

Took it to Birchdown, he said it was showing as 87000 deg when steering straight all the time. So probably faulty and he doesn't have Clip.
Anyone local ish to Shrewsbury other than Renault with a Clip? Thinking of getting an eBay special are they any good or will it do more harm than good?

CursedTitanium 182FF
Chip-mk1 Birchdown

Just been out to the car to have a quick check.

Put both hands at 12 O'clock on the wheel and yanked towards me and get a knock, sounds like it is coming from the hub.
Doesn't sound like a ball joint or rod end, the hub nut was checked by Birchdown and was said to be tight.

Any ideas?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Could be play in the shock or topmount, or could be wheel bearing, could also be any of the steering components like rods and ends etc or a bottom balljoint, impossible to tell without it in front of me really :(

Birchdown

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup / 172 Exclusive
I went through the car with the mot tester and they have a one man testing setup with motorised shaker plates and they are quite forceful and there was no sign of movement when tested. The hub nut was checked and reset to specified settings, it wasn't far away as it was to be honest. I drove the car 10 miles and never heard any knocking noise. The car was booked in for MOT and diagnose abs/ traction light fault. On your arrival you requested us to look at a knocking noise, our ramps were blocked with a tipper truck having a clutch fitted and I said I would check the best I could on the floor. We can certainly have a look in depth if you wish to rebook.
Regards Andy

CursedTitanium 182FF
Hi Andy, I'm going to a friends this weekend, we're going to have a good look over the OS/F. If I can't solve it myself, I'll give you a call. (Spent to much money on it the mo, bank manger hates me lol)