ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cheap 172 Air Con Delete DONE and running

172 PH1
This is a follow on from my other thread really.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?665154-Cheap-air-con-delete-90-done-today

Thought I'd start this new tidier thread for everyone to see.

Some of you know we had a little play with the air con on my 172 I.E. removing it. Not one for paying if bucks for things that can be done with a bit of thought, so we went at it. After a few weeks of searching, I found a nice pulley that looked good... even fits in the standard spot, uses the standard bolt and uses the same width belt. So easy.

Got the belt length right, fitted a new tensioner and wheel, lovely.

Finished her up, turn the key - she's sweet :)

Runs straight and true, 20 mile drive later on road test and all remains well.

Here we go:-

6DcXbl.jpg

G2UW0l.jpg

RF4ZRl.jpg

I'd say about 1.5 hours fitting in total, start to finish, simples.

All pics are of it running. I've got a vid which was awfully taken as I was on the ground and am a fatty, but it should give a better picture.

Enjoy.

172 PH1
Does indeed! Noticeibly more Lively on throttle pick up.

Nice to get rid of that lump of a compressor too.

172 PH1
What I may do is do a few small kits maybe box up 10 or so.

Then people get the idler wheel, belt and washer - everything you need to fit.

What I may do is do a few small kits maybe box up 10 or so.

Then people get the idler wheel, belt and washer - everything you need to fit.
maybe worth a try.. see if many peoples up for 1 and put the price etc and see how many you can shift

HBT 172 Cup
Just tell people which pulley and belt is required. Kudos for the great idea and result and for being the first to do it, but why then does it turn into a money making excercise. A universal pulley and a belt does not cost £65.

Just tell people which pulley and belt is required. Kudos for the great idea and result and for being the first to do it, but why then does it turn into a money making excercise. A universal pulley and a belt does not cost £65.

idea was already posted month's ago laine as some 1 else had done it with a toyota avensis pulley

Ph2 172 cup & 320d
He has spent the time and effort trial fitting with prob several belts & pulleys at a cost and these days u get nothing for free now! Being trade related, yes could def get the belt and pulley cheaper but without him sharing info then is it really worth trial and error for the sake of saving £20-30 or so?

Carbonraider

ClioSport Club Member
  Raider, 172, the van
Or just go to a scrap yard and pay 50 rips for the proper kit off a Laguna alternator included all you need then is a belt.

Cup In bits
Kudos for trying something new but I can't help think how vulnerable that belt is to coming/knocked of. You will find 95% of the time ribbed or shouldered pulleys are used on the outmost pulleys in a serpentine belt layout. We all know what can happen when aux belt comes off, good bye engine....

172 PH1
I can agree with that, the belt run is slightly longer than id like, but its a bit of 6 of one half a dozen the other, cost vs effectiveness or visa versa.

TBH best idea is ill run it for 500 miles and be a guinea pig, and if its still all good, ill do a guide for the members guides forum and put it all in there.

172 PH1
Still running this in, done 300 miles so far and she's been fine.

I'll do a guide over the next few days.

PH1
Pulley was an idler from a Saab 95 from memory, but I'm not 100% on the belt size, 1400mm rings a bell but its easy just to measure it with a piece of string.