ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Chris's 172 Cup Turbo

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
So this happened recently... fully stripped at the rear except for the roof lining. I was debating about it for a while, but given that I can keep the interior stored away in the shed for now I thought i'd try it anyway.

It's now extremely loud as everything is amplified and I love it. I weighed everything that I took out (not including standard seat) and it came to 35kg. It could just be the increase in noise/vibrations but it feels a heck of a lot quicker now.

Also managed to get one of the bucket seats fitted that I got from @masekwm :up:. Pretty tight fit for me but they look spot on.

Will get better photos at the weekend.

IMG_1175_zps1ohtc3bd.jpg

Got a Renault F1 sticker off of Ebay and stuck it on the sidemount, thought it looked kind of cool.
IMG_1176_zps9fpuzyjg.jpg

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Had a little go at cleaning up the new brakes earlier before giving them a couple of coats of paint. I've gone for yellow because they looked best in my Photoshop attempt (pictured below)

Got the E-tech caliper paint kit as i've seen some impressive results on YouTube. They look a bit crap in the picture after their first coat but i'll get more when they're complete!
IMG_1186_zps2niuzwjh.jpg

No mixing required with the paint and it leaves a decent enough finish.
IMG_1182_zps4wier2un.jpg

Here they are :tongueout:.
IMG_1184_zpspyej6ail.jpg

Started to paint them.
IMG_1188_zpsfbnuy4id.jpg

Was starting to think I could get a sponsor from McDonald's if I leave them like this...
IMG_1189_zpsotkgbxyb.jpg

Also found a unique way to hang them to dry in the back garden. Can't wait to fit them before Blyton :grinning:

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Finally got round to having a go at fitting the Brembo's today only to be stopped in my tracks because they don't clear the wheels!
I was under the impression you could run meg calipers with 280mm discs and cup turinis without spacers but apparently not.
This means the Brembo's will be put on hold until I can afford the money for the PMS stud conversion and 10mm spacers. Bit of a downer tbh.
IMG_1200_zpshfufbbvz.jpg

IMG_1199_zpsvfmvxmlu.jpg

Perhaps I don't have Cup turni's after all? who knows...

172 Turbo
Pop the wheel off and check the ET markings on the back.

I've got the MAPs studs kit, it's the same metal grade as the PMS kit

172 Turbo
@Dr Jekyll I bought the Loctite 271 as shown in the PMS photo
DSC_0012.jpg

They aren't listing any for the Clio at the moment, but the BMW stuff is the same tensile as the PMS stuff

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Tbh mate as long as the thread is m12 x 1.5 and whatever desired length, it doesn't have to be clio titled.

I have them on my watch list for a vw I think as the thread is the same. I have some 271 loctite too at work which is medium strength. I thought it would be good to use, but wanted to double check.

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
OMP subframes and some universal sidemounts from Ebay - here. If i'm honest the seat doesn't sit too well on the OMP subframes as they aren't central (either the seat sits slightly over to the left or the right) Could easily get around it by drilling some more holes in the subframes.
They were cheap so can't complain.

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Where is the caliper fouling the wheel? I understood they'd fit fine with Cup Turini's
Literally the only place that it's making contact with the caliper is on the face where the Brembo logo is. It looks as if the caliper will clear the inside of the wheel easily.
If I hover the wheel over the hub with about a 5mm gap (eyeballing it) it looks as if it will just about clear it.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Which brackets you using mate? Surely if it's not touching the wheel then it's fine? Even if it is 2mm clearance

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
It could be that I've mounted them wrong, I'm handy with a spanner but hardly the world's best at this sort of thing. Initially I did get the brackets around the wrong way and only realised after the pads wouldn't fit lol. Changed around and everything fits fine.

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Which brackets you using mate? Surely if it's not touching the wheel then it's fine? Even if it is 2mm clearance
The wheel is sitting on the face of the caliper mate so would literally hit it/get stuck by the looks of things. No idea which brackets i'm using as I got the lot from @Mash but believe they are for 280mm discs.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Strange. There's lots of info about the brembos fitting and I've got a set too.

Have you had some machining done to the calipers?

What's happening, the spokes of the wheel are hitting the face of the calliper did you say? If so sounds like the wheels isn't spaced enough

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Yeah I think there's something wrong in the install. 280 should clear the cup turinis without a spacer.

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
What's happening, the spokes of the wheel are hitting the face of the calliper did you say? If so sounds like the wheels isn't spaced enough
Exactly this mate. The spokes are making contact with the face of the caliper. Perhaps I have gone wrong on the install but god knows where.
The only other possibility excusing my mechanical incompetence would be that not too long ago I had that exact hub changed by a garage as two wheel bolts snapped off inside and got stuck. Not sure if this would have an effect as I believe they got the second hand hub from a breakers yard.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Have they used an incorrect hub perhaps?

If you know which brackets they are it might help..

Exactly this mate. The spokes are making contact with the face of the caliper. Perhaps I have gone wrong on the install but god knows where.
The only other possibility excusing my mechanical incompetence would be that not too long ago I had that exact hub changed by a garage as two wheel bolts snapped off inside and got stuck. Not sure if this would have an effect?
No that wouldn't be it.

For some info into the thread they're Chris Powells 280mm brackets.

In the most recent pictures are the brake pads in? as if you can get the pads in, that means you have the brackets the right way round, otherwise if offsets the calliper and it's noticeable that the discs isn't In the middle of the calliper.

Well yep can safely say they need spacing 5mm, answers to the above about cup turinis etc etc I have no idea.

I will have some 5mm spacers that I will have for sale within the week, which I can obviously do some reduced brake kit discount on for you :)

@NorthloopCup has knowledge with turinis/brembos

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah @Mash that's exactly what I managed to do the first time around. Had a lot of trouble fitting the pads until I realised what I had done lol. Just checked the wheels again and they're catching but only just so a few mm would do it. I'd be interested in the spacers mate, just let me know :smiley:.

I really appreciate the help everyone, cheers.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
It doesn't look like you've installed them incorrectly. I really hope spacers aren't required as I bought them on the premise that they would fit without spacers

Looks good mate!

yep they're set correctly, it's purely down to the offset of the wheel in question.

£10 and they're yours, will pm you later in the week when I won't need them :)

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Your issue is that you're running 280's mate. On a cup turini the spokes are fatter at the base, so this means that because the caliper is sitting lower it interferes with your spokes. Make sense?

I'll be running 295's and my turinis are now very close to the spokes - on 300's there's plenty of room. The 16" superleggeras are not feeling it at all, so I've re-engineered the bell to give me (hopefully) enough clearance without needing spacers.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
No that wouldn't be it.

For some info into the thread they're Chris Powells 280mm brackets.

In the most recent pictures are the brake pads in? as if you can get the pads in, that means you have the brackets the right way round, otherwise if offsets the calliper and it's noticeable that the discs isn't In the middle of the calliper.

Well yep can safely say they need spacing 5mm, answers to the above about cup turinis etc etc I have no idea.

I will have some 5mm spacers that I will have for sale within the week, which I can obviously do some reduced brake kit discount on for you :smile:

@NorthloopCup has knowledge with turinis/brembos
Annoyingly this mention didn't alert me to this! Got there in the end though. Lol