ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Chris's 172 Cup Turbo

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Thats frustrating. I was told 280 would work without spacers using cup turinis. The whole reason I went for them in the first place..

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Exactly the same here mate, not sure if I want to run extended wheel bolts with 5mm spacers so now looking at more money for the stud conversion kit which sucks.

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
You've got a good point there, that might work out better. There's a waiting list for more of Chris's brackets so i'm sure it wouldn't take long for these to sell.

5mm, should work with your current wheel bolts i think? but yes i would go studs anyway as they're just better in every way.

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
KTEC seem to do a set of studs in either 68mm or 100mm. I want to run 10mm spacers now as it might help if I ever get a second set of 15" wheels for track. Should I go for 100 or 68mm?

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Some goodies arrived today in the post. 16 x M12 50mm studs from Driftworks and some Neo Chrome wheel nuts. Spacers from Pure Motorsport also arrived. Trial fitted to make sure everything fits ok and now just waiting on the 271 Loctite in the post :smiley:
Studs seem to fit fine... felt a little lose but only hand tightened them.
IMG_1233_zpsebt8kl7o.jpg

Spacers on (are they the right way?)
IMG_1231_zpsvxetlgmh.jpg

IMG_1228_zpsceqfpsuz.jpg

Finally wheel on with Neo Chrome bolts
IMG_1219_zpsubhcuype.jpg

So much room now...
IMG_1221_zpsq4hnp8g1.jpg

IMG_1223_zpsusb8prrn.jpg

Role on Saturday so I can get to fitting them over the weekend.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Some goodies arrived today in the post. 16 x M12 50mm studs from Driftworks and some Neo Chrome wheel nuts. Spacers from Pure Motorsport also arrived. Trial fitted to make sure everything fits ok and now just waiting on the 271 Loctite in the post :smiley:
Studs seem to fit fine... felt a little lose but only hand tightened them.
IMG_1233_zpsebt8kl7o.jpg

Spacers on (are they the right way?)
IMG_1231_zpsvxetlgmh.jpg

IMG_1228_zpsceqfpsuz.jpg

Finally wheel on with Neo Chrome bolts
IMG_1219_zpsubhcuype.jpg

So much room now...
IMG_1221_zpsq4hnp8g1.jpg

IMG_1223_zpsusb8prrn.jpg

Role on Saturday so I can get to fitting them over the weekend.
If the spacer has a chamfer on both sides of where it passes over the spigot, then yes they are fitted correctly. If not it needs swapping over so the chamfer is on the face of the disc.

^^^^in fact scrap that! Lol it's only applicable the way I've stated it on the rears.

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Love the look of this car, and the changes.

Makes me want a Cup again. :cool:
Thanks mate. Seen a fair few decent spec Cups up for sale recently, just saying :tongueout:.

If the spacer has a chamfer on both sides of where it passes over the spigot, then yes they are fitted correctly. If not it needs swapping over so the chamfer is on the face of the disc.

^^^^in fact scrap that! Lol it's only applicable the way I've stated it on the rears.

Still very useful info as they actually only have a chamfer on one side. I'll flip them around when fitting. Thanks pal

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Haven't posted on here for a while so thought i'd update. The car got its first ever beating around a track this week at Brands Hatch. There where some pretty quick cars their but that didn't seem to matter, on multiple occasions I had 2 maybe even 3 laps where I didn't have to move over to let AMG's, Caterhams etc past.

First half of the day the car performed fantastically... then I booked some tuition from an instructor. It was the best £25 I think i've ever spent but since I was pushing the car harder than ever it failed on me coming down Brabham Straight in 4th at about 105 mph. Huge misfire 😞. More than likely ignition related but getting it resolved soon.

To summarise:

- Car went fantastically first half of the day.
- Despite the Mintex M1144's being squeaky on road they didn't fade once on track (or squeak)
- 4 Pot brakes where amazing.
- PS3 tyres where good enough for a noob like me.
- The car would have kept some of the Scooby's and Evo's there at bay on Brabham Straight but I moved over like a gent as i'm really not quick in the corners.
- Overall very happy!

Here's some photos.
cup_zpszxifnawq.jpg

SS_160411_MSVT_BH-950_zpsmnsyhf8g.gif

Trying my hardest to tripod the car for the photographer 😂.
SS_160411_MSVT_BH-533_zpsey8k9i81.gif

SS_160411_MSVT_BH-355_zpsgmx7azfy.gif

SS_160411_MSVT_BH-86_zpskv8a4kcn.gif

Finally, keeping AMG's at bay. We'll ignore the fact that he's only just come out of the pits. 🙈
SS_160411_MSVT_BH-61_zps4jd0p0xx.gif

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Car looks great Chris. Had perfect weather by the looks of it. I'll be up for some days in the summer in my cup so would be good to see you up there.
I had tuition there too with an older guy, was a great great help, really wanted me to push the car and it definitely improved my laptimes.

Megane R26
Hey man, I live in Tunbridge Wells now so give me a shout if you're ever about, would love a passenger ride in it, I'll bring out my R8.

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Car looks great Chris. Had perfect weather by the looks of it. I'll be up for some days in the summer in my cup so would be good to see you up there.
I had tuition there too with an older guy, was a great great help, really wanted me to push the car and it definitely improved my laptimes.
Cheers man, it was great weather most of the day. That's exactly what I found, before the tuition I was all over the place tbh lol. That would be cool, just let me know when you book!
Hey man, I live in Tunbridge Wells now so give me a shout if you're ever about, would love a passenger ride in it, I'll bring out my R8.
let's do it! would love to go out in the R8 too!. Perhaps sometime next weekend we could meet up if you're about?
Such a cool turboed clio dude. I gotta do a track day print in my clio.

Me and me mate are thinking lyden hill I thinks.
Cheers dude. Only ever been to lyden hill on a drift day to spectate but the track seems like it would be good fun in a Clio

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Thanks mate. Studs can be found here and the wheel nuts here.
Hope you don't mind me asking but would these studs work on Megane? Just assuming that Renault use the same thread pitch on all their models. Sorry to spam the thread. The Clio looks awesome and like the moody garage pic, I'm hoping to be at Brands the end of May.

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
A little update and finally a few shots of the interior. Misfire sorted thanks to some new spark plugs. Apparently the old ones look fine but it seems to have got rid of the flat spot. Cheap fix at £11.40 :smiley:. Gaps on the old ones were probably off but not sure.
IMG_1567_zpszgatu1kh.jpg

Too lazy to unbolt throttle body etc lol
IMG_1569_zpsrk6nbi0o.jpg

Gave it a good clean this bank holiday and finally fitted some new matts with the Cup logo that I got as a gift at Christmas!
Next plans just involve giving the brakes another coat of paint, getting a smaller front plate and some silvervisions before French car show.
Picked up a few stone chips since the respray last year. Annoying.
upload%206_zps7oqskcw2.jpg

upload%201_zps6ijdwc9x.jpg

upload%205_zpswuoawdln.jpg

car%201_zpsyeg4vuj1.jpg

Some interior shots of the world's tightest bucket seats. I'm not exactly huge but there's not a lot of room but at least they look the part 😂.
Also fitted all the rear interior again except for the rear bench. Stripping it out was an experiment but it was starting to look like a tatty shed.
upload%202_zps9v9hzun9.jpg

upload%203_zpso5ix6mqz.jpg
upload%204_zpsgkmj2dyu.jpg

That's all for now. Cheers for looking!

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Few updates, an another issue which has put me in a predicament concerning FCS. Car is still holding back and has a flat spot at around 5k. Engine Dynamics are taking a look on the 6th but have advised to use the car as little as possible as a precaution until then - FCS plus the trip to see @Kyle 86 for a detail the day before totals around 500 miles - yikes!

Not sure if it's too much on an issue as the car drives ok other than that. Anyway here's a few things i've done over the past few weeks.

Was going to go for a drive with this lot (none as quick as the Cup may I add) until on my way there the car lost all boost. A phone call and a few emails later to ED and it turns out the wastegate was stuck open. The fix was simple enough - pull on the rod to the right until in released and closed.

IMG_1735_zpsuefxvyai.jpg

Here's the offending cause of no boost. No idea why it was stuck open like this. Yellow marks the position it should be in. I've been assured that if it happens again they'll have it in to take a look.
IMG_1754_zpsebi8u6r1.jpg

Then I decided to paint my rear beam. It looked rusty and tatty and although it's not the best finish in the world (far from it) i'm happy enough. Some before and afters:
IMG_1663_zpsreodig2x.jpg

IMG_1668_zpshugw1hu5.jpg

After:
IMG_1670_zpsgfht5hco.jpg

IMG_1685_zpsxyomsfiy.jpg

Some paint on the rear calipers whist i'm there.
IMG_1679_zpsiibzsyua.jpg

IMG_1682_zpsqjke1btu.jpg

Now on to the coolant. It was absolutley horrendous. Decided to pull the radiator out and flush it with a hose etc which was quite fun taking things apart.
Cheeky intercooler shot.
IMG_1714_zpspieeimiu.jpg

IMG_1721_zps6smpnyss.jpg

Coolant was awful.
IMG_1719_zpsunpe4ntz.jpg

Coolant now clear, but not got any pictures as of yet. Cheers for looking. Still not sure if i'm going to bother with FCS now :confused:

Last edited:

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
So today was FCS. I was on the CSOC stand but had a good look around the .net stand as well. There were some nice cars on show!. Was brilliant to meet old friends and make new ones. Here's a few photos of the Cup after a mammoth 4 hour clean the day before.
IMG_2532_zpsgr90bbui.jpg

IMG_2536_zpsyy0n3nky.gif

IMG_2549_zpsnsgpwxkz.gif

IMG_2553_zps57pvjvwq.gif

I just had to include some of these photos too. I've got a serious soft spot for the MK1's.
IMG_2466_zpsn5hjmdxz.jpg

IMG_2471%201_zpsl1eag7di.jpg

IMG_2541_zps8pu2oxrz.jpg

IMG_2551_zpsopfb4nq6.jpg