ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Chris's 172 Cup Turbo

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Lovely this. I run 205/45/16's too. Still not sure how I feel about them.
I'm in exactly the same boat as you. The only thing i've noticed so far is that the car tramlines a lot more on the motorway and now feels incredibly unstable at 70mph +. I'll probably go for 195's next.

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
A few small updates on what i've done recently. After changing the plugs and leads I managed to scratch the upper manifold so took it off again and sprayed it again. Here's a few other things:

- Removed the fuel rail guard as I don't think it will fit when intercooler pipes go in.
IMG_0695_zpsnjxgdt3d.jpg

- Sprayed top mounts so they don't look rusty.
- Gave the fuse box cover a spray. Not sure on the gloss look at the moment.
- Removed carpet from rear of engine bay and bonnet, looks way better just blue I think.
- Fitted uprated Ktec upper gearbox and engine mounts and now the car feels a lot better to drive, if not a little more rattly at idle.
IMG_0696_zpsf8kljnna.jpg

- Gearstick was worn down to black so rubbed it down, primed, sprayed and then added a sticker brought from Ebay. Lacquered after. Really happy with the result, it's one of the best but simplest things i've done so far:
IMG_0701_zpsmrvcjek1.jpg

To fit:
- Powerflex dogbone bushes
- Decat
IMG_0699_zpsobvfvjkf.jpg

I've also got a battery cover to fit which will go on after the cars been to engine dynamics. Drop off to them is on the 12th and I should be picking it up on the 19th, looks like it's boost for christmas this year!.
IMG_0698_zpsm401r484.gif

Megane R26
Good progress. It's the little things that make such a difference. Oh and boost is good too! Be you can't wait.

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Good progress. It's the little things that make such a difference. Oh and boost is good too! Be you can't wait.
It is indeed, the subtle mods are always the best and yes I am. Already counting down the days and even 2 weeks seems like a long way away right now, I want it now! Lol

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
So the car is now back from Engine Dynamics and wow, what an awesome kit it is. Not many photos of the car since it has been done but here's a few. The car made 231.6 bhp and 235.1 lbft, strong figures that you can really feel in the car. Absolutely loving the noise too.

First up, the power run. They had some problems at first with the car on the dyno. It was because I had put cheap supermarket fuel in the car (95 ron) and filled it right up. Luckily Andy drained the tank out and put the fuel in some canisters for me and then filled it up with some Tesco Momentum 99.
power%20run%20172%20turbo_zpsuunv38bu.jpg

Then there's the engine bay which now looks epic. That awful carpet is gone and replaced with a nice shiny heat shield. Actually really liking the all black pipes. Still looks fairly OEM and quite classy... for a clio lol.
IMG_0724_zpspz0zrdqq.gif

IMG_0723_zpsadpaaegh.gif

Cheeky bit of intercooler on show. Pretty noticeable in silver and will probably leave it this way. It's discreet and most people wouldn't even give the car a second look let alone notice the intercooler, only those that are into their cars might notice.
IMG_0720_zpslg6h5klg.jpg

Also got a battery cover off of ebay which finishes the look. Seriously happy with the way the car drives now. No real plans to track the car any time soon and during the commute to work I barely get above 50 mph so the power is more than enough. Here's a recap of all the mods and things i've done so far. I've spent SO MUCH MONEY on this bloody car it's unreal.

Brakes:
  • Front HC discs
  • Front M1144 pads
  • Rear Brembo discs
  • Rear Mintex oe pads
  • Supergold brake fluid
  • Goodridge brake lines
Engine:
  • Magnecor Spark Leads
  • New Coil Pack
  • All belts changed as well as Water pump and Dephaser pulley.
  • Uprated Engine Mount
  • Uprated Lower Gearbox Mount
  • Powerflex Dogbone Mount
  • Engine Dynamics 230 Bhp Turbo Kit
  • Full KTEC recessed exhaust system with decat
Suspension:
  • Eibach Proline Springs
Body:
  • Front Bumper Respray
  • New front headlights
  • Sprayed front grills in satin black
  • Wheels refurbished
  • New genuine OEM front splitter
  • New genuine Turini centre caps
  • New '172 Cup' badges
There's more probably, but that's off the top of my head. Not sure what I've spent... I don't want to add it all up tbh lol. I went into this knowing i'd spend a lot and there's still more on the handling side to be done. Next up will be new cup shocks all around but that will wait for now.

172 Turbo
That RR graph makes me want to try another one, I didn't like the power deliver of the one I went out in.

172 Turbo
Why was that mate? did you go out in their 172 ph1 exclusive demo car?
No, went for a spin in a car with a ED kit fitted was going to buy the kit but the boost felt really intrusive. Maybe I should give Andy a call and go out in his dads car

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
No, went for a spin in a car with a ED kit fitted was going to buy the kit but the boost felt really intrusive. Maybe I should give Andy a call and go out in his dads car
Yeah mate I would, i'm sure they'll be more than happy to help. It might only be 230bhp when compared to a lot of the cars on here running 300+ but it's still seriously good fun and feels exactly like a standard car when you are driving around town or to the shops etc

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
i woulld like to try a clio with 230bhp, must be pretty rapid and great fun as long as its dry, lol.

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
A little update on what has been going on with the car. 1,000 miles since I last posted and the car has never let me down once. Managed to get myself some new genuine Cup shocks all round for just £157 so thought it would be rude not too!

Cleaned under the arches whilst I was there. Planning on giving it a better clean and maybe sanding down the subframe and freshening it up with some paint when the weather gets better. No more plans as of yet but booked my first track day at Blyton with the CSOC lot so really looking forward to that!

So many pictures, sorry.

So not long after the Turbo I gave the car a wash and took a couple of pictures...
ATTACH]
IMG_0872_zpsxsqqy7jg.jpg

IMG_0876_zpsvrwxz9zy.gif

IMG_1974_zpsocxmwyfk.jpg
IMG_1971_zpswdbkboqw.gif

Fitted new cup shocks all round and cleaned under the arches the amount of crap that was under the rears especially around the fuel cap on the inside was shocking!
Here they are before:
IMG_0919_zpsdcryrmzh.jpg

And after:
IMG_0922_zpsk5oonqbe.jpg

No before and afters of the fronts, but here's the new shocks in with the Eibach Proline springs. The car is far more eager to turn in now and is less crashy on bumpy roads.
IMG_0932_zpsrklrymu4.jpg

Next up is MOT, tracking to be done and removing any play in the steering. Photo below taken today. I love this car!
IMG_0934_zpsr84s4reu.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0872_zpsxsqqy7jg.gif
    IMG_0872_zpsxsqqy7jg.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 66

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Love the car! What are your thoughts on the 172 cup badge on the bootlid? I'm unsure as to whether to do it on mine or not... Where did you get your shocks from? I need some and I want to use standard cup shocks. Have you considered going to solid top mounts?

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Love the car! What are your thoughts on the 172 cup badge on the bootlid? I'm unsure as to whether to do it on mine or not... Where did you get your shocks from? I need some and I want to use standard cup shocks. Have you considered going to solid top mounts?
Cheers mate for the kind words. I quite like the badge on the back, I have no idea if the car came with them on the rear from factory but it looks good in my opinion...

I got the shocks from here, 40% off at the moment, all genuine Renault parts and super fast delivery. Not sure on solid top mounts, I want them but i've heard they can put too much stress on standard shocks which causes them to squeak a lot, others say it's fine so i'm not sure.

Last edited:

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Think I've found my perfect car. Mine used to look like that a long time ago
Cheers mate, it's always been my intention from day one to keep it looking almost standard
Looks lovely mate .What silver were the alloys refurbed in?
Thanks mate, I had the wheels refurbished by Lepsons. They did them in a colour they call 'Bright Sparkle silver' which was their nearest match to the brand new Turini centre caps I showed them. The match is pretty much spot on.

Dooby

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Boosted cup buddies :up: Car looks great fella. I'm also on track at blyton. Look forward to seeing it there. Pic was from blyton last year.
FB_IMG_1444081864746.jpg

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Absolutely perfect!

That shot from the front with the cheeky intercooler peeping through. Needs silvervisions and tu.... oh wait you've got the latter.
Haha cheers man, i've literally just ordered some silvervisions now!
Boosted cup buddies :up: Car looks great fella. I'm also on track at blyton. Look forward to seeing it there. Pic was from blyton last year.View attachment 145837
Nice car mate, never been on track before so will be good fun, yours looks a little higher spec though. What sort of power/mods do you have?

Dooby

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
To much to list but basically forged, GTX3067r turbo, 02M box with quaife, B14's, R26 4 pots .

Dooby

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Where abouts are you from Chris ? Just seen Kyle did your car so must be fairly local ?

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Where abouts are you from Chris ? Just seen Kyle did your car so must be fairly local ?
I'm in Tunbridge Wells mate, about an hour away from Kyle. I take it you live pretty closely to him as you're in essex?

Just checked Facebook and realised I've met you briefly before at FCS last year. You were parked up next to him weren't you? the car looked epic. Mine was completely standard at the time and parked on the end at Cup Corner. I remember your car getting a lot of attention

Dooby

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Arr fair play, yes he's a good mate of mine. Lives just round the corner to where I work. Add me on there mate . We often meet up at lakeside. Will send you a pm next time we are out