ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 36k service - what did you pay?

I wouldn't go there edde, I made a comment along those lines also made a couple of relevant points. Then another forum user (who will remain nameless) decided to make stupid remarks trying to provoke an arguement with me which had nothing to do with labour rates. All of the posts subsequently got removed.
Arr right thanks for telling me.

Shame the forum still happy to put down dealers for no reason.

Im glad Im making sence to one person.

Perhaps because what I know about the motortrade would, unlike most of the rest of the forum fill more than the back of a stamp.

Maz

LY 200
I wouldn't go there edde, I made a comment along those lines also made a couple of relevant points. Then another forum user (who will remain nameless) decided to make stupid remarks trying to provoke an arguement with me which had nothing to do with labour rates. All of the posts subsequently got removed.

I hope that your not refering to me :S because that was not the case.

No not you Maz, you were talking about the point in question. The person I am referring to tried to start an arguement about something completely unrelated. I can only assume he has some personal problem with me.

Anyway mine is due it's 36k not long from now but there wont be alot of point me putting up my quote. Although it will be from a main dealer I have connections there and will be supplying my own oil so wont really be comparable.

Maz

LY 200
Ok fair enough but what you need to take into account is that people will speak from experience or most will and thats what I was doing before the posts got removed.

If a dealer tells me a job is going to take x amount of hours costing x amounts of pounds and I come on here and ask how long it should take and edde says x amount of hours and its less than I have been told by the dealer surely you can understand why people lose confidence and have the attitude like myself that its the labour time + costs that bump the prices up.

I dont mean to be rude but maybe in future instead of losing your rag and speaking to people in the tone you do, you should give them the chance to explain what they mean as not everyone on here are idiots that talk sh1t.

The same could be said of people (the majority) on here who make sweeping statement about the motortrade, it's pricing and practices when they know nothing about it. It seems accepted that people can make strongly derogatory comments about the motortrade but when someone (like me) who is blunt makes any to the contrary in the same manner then I'm accused of being the bad guy. I am blunt and to the point and tbh thats my perogative, if people don't like it I don't really care.

As for book time's at dealers vs how long a job "should" take that is a massively grey area. There are shortcut's that can be taken on some jobs, as I said in one of my deleted posts dealers have book times for jobs. For example using the correct tools and removing the items as trained may take 3 hours. An independant taking a shortcut may do it in 2 & 1/2, this doesn't mean the dealer is trying to rip you off. Their mechanic is following correct procedure for a job where the independant may not. Whether you could pyshically do it quicker is besides the point. It's also worth mentioning that if we take on a job that has a book time of 8 hours then the customer only gets charged 8 hours. Even if the car is hanging every nut and bolt rusted solid and it takes 16, we lose out but you never hear that side of the story.

Maz

LY 200
I had two different prices from two different dealerships both within a 20 mile radius, both quoted different amounts of time for the same job to be done and the difference in cost was nearly £100.

But anyway thats not what this thread is about, its about prices for a 36k service, apols to the OP for going off topic.

plus he's from Bristol, be nice to him ;)

I'm not from Bristol you helmet I'm a 40 minute (ish) drive from there :rasp:

Maz, could be a service advisor taking a guess at the labour time, isn't uncommon unfortunately. I still firmly believe service advisors should have a certain amount of technical knowledge however most seem to be clueless dolly birds with no interest in cars at all.

Last edited:

Maz

LY 200
Maz, could be a service advisor taking a guess at the labour time, isn't uncommon unfortunately. I still firmly believe service advisors should have a certain amount of technical knowledge however most seem to be clueless dolly birds with no interest in cars at all.

I agree it could be but it doesn't look very good and thats my point.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Another vote for Alex at Carlton, worth the trip :p

Had a 72k service done with just the aux belts (no plugs or cam belt as that'd been done a little while ago) and it was cheaper than the other quotes on here, and that's with the full aux belt kit (least that's what it says on the invoice!).

Trophy #267
i'm led to belive so laingo. Id just speak to reno 1st to confirm those are correct parts for your car as im sure slight variances exists depending on model etc but certainly looks to be what I had done (still waiting on price btw)