ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 172 cup common faults

280 bhp corsa
thinking of buying a phase 2 172 cup, I have around a £5000 budget,
just after a few tips/hints what to look out for.

ive read and heard about problems with

engine mounts
rusting and snapping exhausts
spark plugs blowing out
crank sencer faults
poor mpg fuel wise
expencive services and cambelt changes
and various others

is there much else I need to watch out for? :dapprove:

RB 182
tbh mpg is pretty good you wont get better with the same performance, i get on average around 36, 42 motorways and 32 across town.

try to look for one which has already had a cambelt change as will save you some money.

and just have a check through the history to see what has been replaced e.g new exhaust as they will fall off

RB 182
oh and look out for seat problems mine doesnt slide forward, and have a look at the quality of the turinis as they are prone to corrodin

280 bhp corsa
it does look nice that to be fair, id rather get a standard one also as I like to do mods myself so I know exactly whats been done.

thnks for the replies so far.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Rear brakes can cause problems, come MOT time, iirc it's something to do with them not having ABS.

The mpg is no different to that of any of then other 172's.

RB 182
yea ya need to mention to the MOT guy about the rear brakes, theres an article somewhere on here which ya shud printout and take with ya.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Rear brakes can cause problems, come MOT time, iirc it's something to do with them not having ABS.

The mpg is no different to that of any of then other 172's.

It's a problem with the car, it's a problem with MOT people not reading the VOSA thing.

Megane Trophy, Golf
Just an old CS ongoing joke about ABS (or lack of) and ditches!

Mines been sweet, never come off road yet. ;)

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Oh and watch out for winter! You'll come of the road cos of no ABS, hahahahaha :)

cant be any worse than driveing a 280bhp corsa 2.0 turbo ;)

so whats the fault with rear brakes then?

The rear brakes are different to the ones on the 172 proper...and there was an issue because the 172 should have ABS, but doesn't (which it shouldn't as it doesn't have ABS!)

Have a look on the last page of this http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/repository/MoT Issue 31 - Apr 2006.pdf (Thats what the issue is and I've had my Cup MOT'd in Telford twice without issue).

Which part of Shropshire you from then?

Not as bad as people **** it of though.

Its be covered time and time again though common faulty just do a search

Common Clio problems
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=108607

172/182 buyers guide.
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=276833

Unforftunately it would seem non-paying/new members cannot access those pages.

Do a search and the guides have been posted in areas you can read without being a member.