ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 Cup - driveshaft issues after fitting genuine Renault part

Megane 225 F1
Hi there,

My car started to make a strange noise back in June 2010, like a grating noise under load mostly in 1st gear, but a bit in 2nd on rougher roads. Fairly sure it was the driveshaft (gearbox end). I replaced it myself with a genuine renault driveshaft (the noise went), but now just a few months later the noise is back again! So I figure it's chomped through another driveshaft.

I believe there should be a warranty with Renault parts - should they supply a new driveshaft for free? should they fit it too even though I fitted it myself?

Thanks a lot :)

Justin

Megane 225 F1
Hi Gray,

I'm not sure how I can test this for sure without dismantling and inspecting either end. Any ideas?

Certainly going by the noise I'm fairly sure it's the d/s. As i mentioned, replacing the driveshaft put this noise away originally.

Ps - is that a 225 trophy in your pic? I used to have one of them a year ago, before I had to go back to a 172 cup to save money. My trophy was mapped to 250ish though - good fun :)

Cheers :)

Megane 225 F1
it was a new renault driveshaft, not recon as the dealer i went to apparently no longer do the recon units... I looked for a re-con part before realising that literally nowhere could offer the exact same shaft as what was meant for the car.

182cup & 172 racecar
it was a new renault driveshaft, not recon as the dealer i went to apparently no longer do the recon units... I looked for a re-con part before realising that literally nowhere could offer the exact same shaft as what was meant for the car.

Strange that,I picked up two from renault last week.

Megane 225 F1
i tried all the usual motor factors up here in NE scotland inc. Reid for Speed, autosave, and autoparts. Autoparts supplied a re-con as far as they were concerned the correct part according to their systems, but when i tried to fit it and hand turn it - was clear it was slightly different measurements from what it should have been....

Both Renault Aberdeen and Renault Memsie advised they no longer offer recon shafts, so I was over £200 for a new one :(

Discounted 1*2 parts
cb1n and cb22 are type numbers for 172 and 182, although i think the cup has a different type number :S

We have a 172 in the workshop at the moment requiring a d/shaft and a s/exchange unit wouldn't fit

Megane 225 F1
Just to let everyone know - I resolved the noise (grating/grinding noise that sounded like a damaged driveshaft). The driveshaft was checked over by a Renault garage and is all ok, turns out it was the engine mount (below the battery) that had became loose and had allowed the engine to slip slightly back towards the windscreen, I think the manifold must have been hitting the heat shield or something). So I untightened this mount and the top engine mount at the other side, slid the engine forwards towards the lights, re-tightened both moutns and the noise went straight away! :)

I would never had expected it to have been this as I would have thought a loose engine mount would have caused a knocking noise - so it just shows you!

Now that I remember, when I fitted the last driveshaft, I did also tighten that engine mount! Checked it before going to Renault the other day though and it seemed tight (obviously wasn't tight enough and I also should have checked the engine hadn't slipped backwards!)

Thanks for your suggestions/comments anyway.

Justin

Clio 172 Cup
The noise is back! I've since tried doing what I did before to rectify it, but the engine mount beneath the battery seems to want to loosen itself after less than a mile of keen driving. I've tried tightening fully, and using locktite on the bolts, but it seems that the whole mount is slipping - causing the engine to then move backwards and hence the downpipe is hitting the subframe.

Any body else had this problem and if so how was it resolved? Im not sure whether the mount itself is knackered.

Thanks,

Justin