ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 cup versus EP3 Civic Type R

172 Cup
This has been a debate between me and my old man for several weeks now. I recently purchased a 172 cup and my old man has an 2005 EP3 Civic type R, he claims his type r would wipe the floor with my clio, however i beg to differ. Both cars are standard.

Just wanted to know what other peoples opinions are and any experiences they might have had taking on the civic, before i take him on and whoop his ass!!

Apologies if there has been a similar thread in the past, im new to the site.

Recaro'd 182
have a race on the track you will be pleasantly suprised, tell him to put his money were is mouth is

clio trophy No56
Ive had two 182's, a FF182 and now the Trophy, there is nothing in it, mostly down to the driver. I had a play with a black ep3 just 2 days ago, he started about 5 car lengths ahead and coming off roundabouts i gained on him every time, i then give up coming off the last roundabout when i realised i was nearly in his boot and i was satisfied i could have passed him. He then started on to drive like a loon swerving in and out of traffic which is not my scene, i value my life and car too much.
Just my experience like, im sure this has been reversed many times, its happened to me before, like i said down to the driver.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
have a race on the track you will be pleasantly suprised, tell him to put his money were is mouth is

I would not bet mony on that would be close but would give the nod to the Type R . Not that im biased or anything ;)

Golf 7R
Wow we have not had a 172 vs CTR debate for at least a few hours.... similar to about 80-90 then the CTR will pull!

172Petey

I have now owned both, i would say that the Cup is just a touch in it but would be down to the drivers, top end is for the type R and the type R is much better built.

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
played with a few won some and lost some. standing start to around a ton i can get ahead but after that they come back. also cup is far better coming out of corners/roundabouts so lots of ground can be made. beware the modified v-tec though...... different story. ar5e handed to me on a plate. but i didnt know it was supercharged did i!!!

get daddy to get his wallet out and find a good bit of road....

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Had my CTR since last weekend. So the 172 is still very much at the forefront of my mind.

Initial acceleration seems faster, mid range the Clio has a bit more linearity, then the VTEC on the Honda kicks in and the sensation is immense. Straight up to the limiter without so much as a hint of strain. [Doesnt sound like bolts are going to fly out the engine]

Mine was a standard 172 with catback s/s exhaust, ITG panel and re-map.

The handling on the Type R is in another league. Cant comment compared to the Cup though, as I havent driven one.

172 Cup 2003
Same position my clio felt alot rawer on acceleration but the CTR is defo quicker the V-TECh is the Ti*s

MCS R56
Cup v CTR - no difference really in terms of performance. Both cars have their plus points but no matter who is quicker in either car, I reckon the Cup driver will have more fun.

Honda should stick to trimming lawns.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Your not geting cold feet are you Danny boy get the EK9 :approve: . You no you want a type R again and not a girls car :rasp: :rasp: :rasp:

Oh no, i might be able to keep the Ph1 aswell as getting the 9 if i get this new job! The 172 will most definatley become a track weapon:evil:

No you want to make the ek9 the track weapon and keep the clio for GF as it is a girls car LOL:rasp: :rasp: :rasp: No im messing i want my one back i no sell me yours ? do you take IOU :)

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
pmsl^

Why dont you sell the ATR and buy a farking ph1 lol

No chance id track prep the 9, shes too pretty a lady to confide to the track, and you know this! lol

Fiesta ST Stage 3
pmsl^

Why dont you sell the ATR and buy a farking ph1 lol

No chance id track prep the 9, shes too pretty a lady to confide to the track, and you know this! lol

Sell the type R Taxi never its just to dam good anyway its off the road at the moment sh*ty jap crap LOL Yeah your right but must be an animal on the track to :approve: :approve: :approve:

I

invisible man

Stig lap times on T.G. website:-
Clio Cup 75th @ 1.33.8
Focus ST 78th @ 1.34.9
Clio V6 85th @ 1.36.5 (believe in the wet)
Civic Type R 86th @ 1.36.5 (wet or dry who cares)

It all depends on the driver, on the day & on the conditions. I wanted a Civic type R, but like previous comments, I could not cope with a gear stick that looks like an erect c**k sticking out of the dash. I also beat a Civic type R the other morning when he tried to cut me up, which left him rather red faced.

Ph 1 172
to be fair the phase 1 172 will have them both just to add fuel to the fire ha ha ha.. does it matter just a s**t shift will see you lose in a straight line or a difference in driver ability

my mate has a ep3 i have a 182, weve done 3 track days together and were together regularly on the road, theres nothing in it, if anything the 182 pips it

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Been in a CTR driven hard and I must say it felt a lot quicker than my 182...

Not sure about round a track but obviously that video shows the CTR wins there too!

123D Coupe + MK1 MX5
The civic, is the faster car, fact.

However the Clio holds it's on very well as there's such little in it performance wise (0.3 secs to 60 or so)

However having recently swapped my 172 for an ep3, I know which car is better to live with ;)