ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 Cup

Hi all,

Picked up my new toy last night, a 2003 Clio 172 cup, Interior has already been stripped out and has been fitted with Cooksport springs. Plans are to get it nicely prepped for some track days. Currently has a Race Yozzasport exhaust with Decat which sounds awesome but a little too loud for me.

IMG_1893_zps1ba87406.jpg

IMG_1891_zps43673529.jpg

IMG_1887_zps49f7592c.jpg

Last few previous cars have been VAG due to working at Revo Technik, Best being my 370bhp Stage 2+ Leon Cupra. This was sold due to very high fuel costs as you can imagine.

3.jpg

Currently sourcing some bucket seats, nice steering wheel, RARB, bush kit and a nice brake setup. May be a long build, trying to see if any of our suppliers can help me out on some things.

Anybody have any other tips on what may help?

RB 182
Cracking little car this! The engine is very strong and tidy on track, I took Boycey on his first track day with it a while back. Get some cams installed when you have the cambelt changed, this will be a proper weapon then :)

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Nice one mark :)

looks ka tidy when mines back on the road getting mot in dav I'll have swing by Revo.

Cracking little car this! The engine is very strong and tidy on track, I took Boycey on his first track day with it a while back. Get some cams installed when you have the cambelt changed, this will be a proper weapon then :)

Yes it pulls very well, need to get some brakes sorted, seat and wheel. It has a horrible driving position.

Nice one mark :)

looks ka tidy when mines back on the road getting mot in dav I'll have swing by Revo.

Yes mate pop down for a coffee! Whens it being MOT;d?

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Not sure yet need to change the drive shaft and just ordered some uprated wishbones as everything is rusted or bodged up lol

Yeah, ill be replacing tie rods, track rod ends and bushes this week hopefully. Where did you get the tool from?

Sprint 172
Looks like a good starting point for your project. Maybe look at some light 15" wheels at some point to give you more choice (and cheaper) tyres. Do you live in Daventry or work there?

Do you work with Kev then? He's an ex Clio RS owner.

Yes i work with Kev, hes my manager!

Looks like a good starting point for your project. Maybe look at some light 15" wheels at some point to give you more choice (and cheaper) tyres. Do you live in Daventry or work there?

Yeah ive been looking at these, may opt for some pro race 1.2's. I live in Southam and work in Daventry.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Yes i work with Kev, hes my manager!

Tell him Tom says hi!

Have a chat with him about what to do. But the first things for going on track really are (if they haven't been done already) Brembo HC discs with decent pads (DS2500/3000, RC5+, Yellowstuff), braided lines and good brake fluid, Vibratechnics engine mounts and Powerflex dogbone, 15s with some decent tyres (mytyres have Federal RSR for £56 a corner at the moment), suspension refresh (new dampers, bushes, mounts etc.), steering refresh (tie rods, rod ends, rack bushes), poly exhaust mount, 5w50 or 10w60 oil.

Rally design to some nice seats for cheap. I paid £275 delivered for a pair with sliders and bought some OMP subframes, the seats are essentially the same as Sparco Pro2000 and weight 7kg each.

I had a RARB, it seemed great after fitting it but I didn't miss it after removing it!

Tell him Tom says hi!

Have a chat with him about what to do. But the first things for going on track really are (if they haven't been done already) Brembo HC discs with decent pads (DS2500/3000, RC5+, Yellowstuff), braided lines and good brake fluid, Vibratechnics engine mounts and Powerflex dogbone, 15s with some decent tyres (mytyres have Federal RSR for £56 a corner at the moment), suspension refresh (new dampers, bushes, mounts etc.), steering refresh (tie rods, rod ends, rack bushes), poly exhaust mount, 5w50 or 10w60 oil.

Rally design to some nice seats for cheap. I paid £275 delivered for a pair with sliders and bought some OMP subframes, the seats are essentially the same as Sparco Pro2000 and weight 7kg each.

I had a RARB, it seemed great after fitting it but I didn't miss it after removing it!

He was showing me some photos of your car yesterday with your new suspension, looks well!

Im really wanting to get this Yozza exhaust off, too loud for me and could do with some money to purchase some worthwhile mods. Any feedback of a standard exhaust with de-cat?

Just fitted new inner tie rods and track rod ends on my lunch, getting it tracked tomorrow. Hopefully it feels tighter at the front end now.

Got a slight oil leak on the sump, will get this sorted out when i get some time. Brakes all round have been ordered along with some hose technik lines.

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
The track rods all good yeah buddy?

I've got a ktec system and sports cat and still quiet loud lol :)

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Good good. I found the new rubber boots harder to put on lol

cool, should look at a ktec stealth exhaust don't think there as loud. My work should be able to get you the standard system iirc

Yeah they were starting to stress me out!

Where is the best place to go in Warwickshire for a cambelt, dephaser and aux belt change? Rough price? Cambelt on this has only done 30,000 miles but was changed in 2009/10.

Sprint 172
Where is the best place to go in Warwickshire for a cambelt, dephaser and aux belt change? Rough price? Cambelt on this has only done 30,000 miles but was changed in 2009/10.
Fred at BTM in Birmingham (airport area) I would have thought. Just had mine done by him, superb.

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Try Long march motors in dav. Andy chan, good mate of mine he might do it for ya. Or beanie sport just off j14 m1 he's top guy.

My my work stock the genuine dephasers if you need one ;)

So, last nights journey brought me these...

$_57.jpg

Fitted my rear brakes tonight, will be fitting the fronts and lines all round tomorrow or weekend. Also ordered myself a wheel, boss and subframes which should all be here tomorrow.

So managed to fit both seats, will be changing the side mounts soon as they are sh*t. Connectors for pre-tensioner had been removed and just soldered so i need to figure out how to get the airbag light off. Also fitted my 350mm steering wheel which makes world of difference, so nice to drive now.

IMG_2084_zps471f9e81.jpg

IMG_2082_zpsc69d7526.jpg

Attachments

• $_57.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    377 KB · Views: 47
So i had my first trackday in the Clio at Bedford, was performing well. The car was on T1R's and were a big weak point. I will be getting a spare set of wheels and tyres for track. Really happy with my brake setup, no fade whatsoever.

Here are some images, ignore the undersize helmet.

RS_140819_MSVTBACARSEVENING_0009_zpsb5bda471.jpg

RS_140819_MSVTBACARSEVENING_0241_zpsc0370b89.jpg

RS_140819_MSVTBACARSEVENING_0312_zps5604664d.jpg

RS_140819_MSVTBACARSEVENING_0350_zps9f6b72c9.jpg

RS_140819_MSVTBACARSEVENING_0558_zpsdf55fb53.jpg

RS_140819_MSVTBACARSEVENING_0612_zpsda339654.jpg

RS_140819_MSVTBACARSEVENING_0684_zpse0d200bb.jpg

RS_140819_MSVTBACARSEVENING_0762_zps5ec1de47.jpg

RS_140819_MSVTBACARSEVENING_0834_zpsb506b87b.jpg

RS_140819_MSVTBACARSEVENING_1003_zps7ac3da3f.jpg

The car is also now running a home made intake with cold air feed along with the 98ron map from RStuner. I am currently looking at some new seats, engine mounts and a roll cage.

photo_zpsefa137f1.jpg

photo1_zps8cd9288e.jpg