ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 Engine Problems

ph2 172
Hi there

I bought a 51 plate clio sport 172 three days ago, all was well untill the second day when the car would not start, and when i finally got it started the dam thing kept cutting out. Today i was driving it and one off the warning lights came on and the car would not go above 20mph, when i came to stop the car was revving wildley.

its gone back to the garage now but i was wandering what to look out for when picking it up becoz i have the feeling they are going to try and cut every corner to get the problem fixed.

when i first picked the car up on sat i was informed that they could not remove the service light as they did not have the equipment to do so, but on taking the car to the garage today i was told that the light could not be removed as there is a fault???

the radio also turns off after 20 mins even when the car is being drivin and the climate control has a mind of its own!

any help would be much appreciated

thank you

tom

2002 Clio Sport 172
Hi mate, Dont really know what to say other than if you bought it from a garage and you have a warranty then the engine management light being stuck on IS UNACCEPTABLE and if the garage cant sort it out themselfs then they should pay for it to be looked at by renault... I bought my 172 7 weeks ago and only prob was the external temperature gauge reading 32C.. (would be nice) went back to the garage i bought it from and they advised that it needed replacing and booked my car into my local renault dealer and paid for the repairs... :D renault even cleaned it inside and out :rasp: ....

Get on at them mate... if it has a warranty thats what its there for... Hope this helps. Also think about trading standards if you have that many probs with the car.... My brother bought a car from vauxhall and it kept cutting out and when it did the steering and brakes didnt work so he let the garage fix it and then it started happening again so he went back and went abit mental :mad: saying that the car was unsafe and he couldnt have his kids init and demanded a new car and told them that he would contact trading standards, They let him pick one and added the difference to his finance payments....

ph2 172
hi

thanx for your reply, the car is at an approved renault garage at the moment as the dealer would not shell out for main renaults £80 an hour labour charge.

im just worried that when i get it back the fault could then re appear after the pathetic 3 month warranty.

how many miles on average do u reckon u should get from a full tank?mine drank £36 in two and a bit days with a average of 30.6mpg doing 220miles???

tom

how many miles on average do u reckon u should get from a full tank?mine drank £36 in two and a bit days with a average of 30.6mpg doing 220miles???
Depends how you drive thats not that abnormal sort of economy.
when i first picked the car up on sat i was informed that they could not remove the service light as they did not have the equipment to do so, but on taking the car to the garage today i was told that the light could not be removed as there is a fault???

the radio also turns off after 20 mins even when the car is being drivin and the climate control has a mind of its own!

Radio switiching of it a fse in the fuse box I forget which. Either than or somoene had a different radio in it and not connected the new one up and cut the wiring loom and done it wrong instead.

The service light means there a fault nothing to do with service when they plug it into the computer tthey will find the fault code and be able to clear then and hence clear the warning light.

Sounds like it might be your throttle body being a problem.

clio 182
sounds electrical,they suffer from poor connections in the bulkhead wiring block which gives varied problems but can b a bugger to trace! good luck m8..but then again it's a renault so anythings possible!!

Clio 172 mk2
Definately sounds like electrical s**t which is beyond me.

Hope you get it fixed....I'd find a good independent dealer/garage myself if you don't want to get ripped off.

ph2 172
hi

had the paperwork back today from the transfer of my private plate, the dvla have sent me a new MOT plus an advisory note that was supposed to be given to me when i bought the car.

just wandered what a front constant velocity joint gaiter is?

tom

Mountune Tractor
I had similar problems when I bought my 02 plate 172 a few weeks ago. I took it back to the garage immediately and they carried out the repairs. I also had a problem with erratic revving/ecu light and I told the garage I would be taking it to Ren-Tech to be hooked up on the diagnostics. I will be sending the bill to the garage I bought the car from. Don't take any s**t from them mate.

MINI JCW
Where you based mate? Someone I worked with had a 51 plate silver 172 and they had similar probs, they got rid in the end? I wonder if its the same one??

ph2 172
had a call from the garage today

seems as though someone has bodged the car as it has 3 airbags gone off and not replaced, bulb taken out of the airbag light and the rear axle is bent!

total to fix excluding the engine problems £1600

have offered to refund money but with me taking the loss of transferring my private plate

do u think its worth keeping or have money back and find a different 172?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
As said . definitely get your money back . Sounds like its been in a bad accident and you'll probably have nothing but problems .Loads about , check out autotrader .

ph2 172
bridgwater, went and got me cash back today so on the look out for another 172!

anyone know of any good ones about?

ph2 172
Hey

just to let you know i bought a 51 plate silver 172 from swindon today, pick up on sat so back on the road at last!