ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 ph1- black, OEM restoration.

cliocollins

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB's RB & F56 jCW
Proper inspiration. The results from the deep clean are excellent. Can't wait for the exhaust updates.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
What products did you use to get these results ?? My Exclusive has never been done and I'm looking to try and brighten it up a little ..looks great

It’s some old Menzerna coarse cut I’ve had for years, along with a DA, I think this is its replacement...

0C651D42-1215-4FE0-999D-93A9FCEB9341.png

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
It had a replacement Center section and back box in 2009 @ Renault so it would have come in two pieces.

from factory it would have been complete.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Like this a lot. Wish I had space for another car to do this with. Maybe when my M140 is returned I will have another Ph1 to do something like this with as I rarely use a car anymore for commuting so it would be perfect!

With the Menzerna polish, do you just use the heavy cut compound? I've used their stuff before but have then used the medium and then the fine compound after, but not sure if that was a little over kill. I am looking to do mine again this weekend (as there is nothing else to do).

Another job ticked off, bumper and lamps removed to clean all the crud out.
I had the rear bumper off my E34 over the weekend to do this, my neighbour said "have you really taken the bumper off to wash it" in a really condecending manner like I was an idiot. I do it becauce my 30 year old car is in better condition than the brand new Ford Kuga you drive.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Yep, rear beam off next and scrub all the underside.
There's a seller on eBay that sells febi bilstein rear beam bushes that come with new nuts and bolts for under £30, I bought a set purely for the nuts and bolts as Renault had them in back order and the bushes look fantastic quality, just as good as OEM. Doddle to change too

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Like this a lot. Wish I had space for another car to do this with. Maybe when my M140 is returned I will have another Ph1 to do something like this with as I rarely use a car anymore for commuting so it would be perfect!

With the Menzerna polish, do you just use the heavy cut compound? I've used their stuff before but have then used the medium and then the fine compound after, but not sure if that was a little over kill. I am looking to do mine again this weekend (as there is nothing else to do).

I had the rear bumper off my E34 over the weekend to do this, my neighbour said "have you really taken the bumper off to wash it" in a really condecending manner like I was an idiot. I do it becauce my 30 year old car is in better condition than the brand new Ford Kuga you drive.

Yeah I machined it’s with heavy cut as the paint was so dull and flat, I then went over it with auto glym super resin and collinte 476 wax to finish off.

Yeah neighbours probably think I’m mental constantly working/cleaning an old Clio 🤣 some people walking past stop for a chat sometimes.

Really do like the retro look of the phase 1s now.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I machined it’s with heavy cut as the paint was so dull and flat, I then went over it with auto glym super resin and collinte 476 wax to finish off.

Yeah neighbours probably think I’m mental constantly working/cleaning an old Clio 🤣 some people walking past stop for a chat sometimes.

Did you use a DA to apply the Autoglym stuff? I’ve got a bottle of that too and only ever applied it by hand.

I get it’s not a hobby for everyone, but that guy just annoys me. Yeah I’ve had a few people come up for a chat when I’ve been working on my E34.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Did you use a DA to apply the Autoglym stuff? I’ve got a bottle of that too and only ever applied it by hand.

I get it’s not a hobby for everyone, but that guy just annoys me. Yeah I’ve had a few people come up for a chat when I’ve been working on my E34.

Yea used a DA for the auto glym, then went over it by hand afterward :)

Kenich.

ClioSport Club Member
  172 PH1
Cracking job with those heat shields / exhausts. I had to laugh at the guys FB comments last night about why you were wanting to use the OEM system :ROFLMAO: #matureowner

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
im calling you out on the exposed heat shield bolts not being OEM ha

They are OEM, wire wheeled them and then spayed them all black 👍

the heat shields clips are also original, cleaned them up, painted green from factory.

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
They are OEM, wire wheeled them and then spayed them all black 👍

the heat shields clips are also original, cleaned them up, painted green from factory.
even those that fit the offside ? not those that install into the chassis but the crap design with the exposed threads