ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 ph1- black, OEM restoration.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
even those that fit the offside ? not those that install into the chassis but the crap design with the exposed threads

you talking about these?
AFFEDE94-C53C-49DD-AC2E-4A7C03DD8174.jpeg

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
I wont be showing you the underside of my sunflower, lets put it this way it isnt blooming.

i am a little concerned about the metal work around the area of where the rear beam mounts against the chassis on the passenger side, i do hope it doesnt need plating. I think i need to drop the beam and see what i find, how do you go about dropping the beam ? are the bolts captive ? i see Renault have fitted the bolts upside down leaving threads exposed ?

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
the other side where the shields connect together with an exposed captivated nut, i had to grind them off and will redrill when i can find a sharp drill !

lol I’m not really sure which bit you’re on about? Screen shot it but u can assure you all the nuts, bolts, caps etc are original.

Hope and pray the nuts un do I suppose, I’ve been spraying mine down regularly in the hope they’ll come out.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Good work. Just needs banded wheels, stretched tyres, an induction kit, upswept DTM exhaust and a flamer kit.

Wonder how many of us have stock 1*2’s on here? Mine has never been modified from new in any way.

There’s a ph1 near me and the couple have had it years (must be 10-15) they ‘souped it up’ when they first got it (alloys, exhaust and Lexus rear lights). They took it off the road a long time ago & it’s been parked up on their drive for years now. They obviously are fond of it but hopefully one day they restore it.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Good work. Just needs banded wheels, stretched tyres, an induction kit, upswept DTM exhaust and a flamer kit.

Wonder how many of us have stock 1*2’s on here? Mine has never been modified from new in any way.

There’s a ph1 near me and the couple have had it years (must be 10-15) they ‘souped it up’ when they first got it (alloys, exhaust and Lexus rear lights). They took it off the road a long time ago & it’s been parked up on their drive for years now. They obviously are fond of it but hopefully one day they restore it.

Stick a note on the window, see if they’ll sell it!!

location?

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve got enough trouble! I get the feeling they wouldn’t sell it anyway as they’ve had it a long time and the fact it’s on the drive covered when they have a new Audi S1 parked on the road tells me they’re quite fond of it!

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
There's a seller on eBay that sells febi bilstein rear beam bushes that come with new nuts and bolts for under £30, I bought a set purely for the nuts and bolts as Renault had them in back order and the bushes look fantastic quality, just as good as OEM. Doddle to change too
Could you link me to the item, just what I need!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Taxed the ph1 today, first proper outing since I got it last year. Cracking drive, engine is super strong throughout the Rev range, gearbox is perfect.

Im sure the phase 1s were built better than the phase 2s, virtually no rattles etc.

Really pleased with this little car :)
E3064B32-C633-435E-946B-D8A7FB980042.jpeg
3D5CE59F-B57B-4EC5-813D-8C28E307742E.jpeg
052BF949-6FA5-4FF0-9719-4045C61DBA50.jpeg
F99EFB1F-8BAD-4789-8A22-A2DDB4DCCA86.jpeg
00415276-716B-4FD0-8974-68C3C1980303.jpeg
041A6E84-B8CC-4E76-BD78-21B75FCDDB22.jpeg
285D5C7D-2320-42F0-899E-7BFF5352C232.jpeg
48AF6AC8-2D74-4630-B156-F156950CCB05.jpeg

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Love it!!!

What’s next for it??

Get the wheels powder coated
Paint rear beam

Thats the main bits done then.

In time I’ll replace the lower arms, steering arms, track rod ends and probably all the cv boots, nothing wrong with them all just old.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
What did you use? Came out perfect!

Wish I took a before picture now!!

You’ll laugh but this is what I used.

Wet wipes to get all the crud and grease off.
Sprayed and wiped down with wd40 to clear any remaining grease
Washed down with fairy liquid and a paint brush
Dressed with auto smart dash dandy and buffed up with a clean microfibre.

Think I spent about 1.5/2hrs in total doing both sides, but they’re pretty much spotless now.