ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 poorly engine HELP PLEASE *ticking engine

Clio 182
Hey Guys,

I have recently bought another 172 after selling my 51 plate one, got my sell an 04 flame red with 37,000 miles on the clock,
I have had it for about a week now,

sat night when i dropped a friend off from work i pulled off fast in gear one then ever since that i have been hearing a clicking or ticking noise coming from my engine bay,

not only that when i start the car up it really really stuggles to stay on, i have to rev it a bit so it doesnt die, and when i press the throttle down the response feels so delayed,
Since Sat the ticking/clicking has got worse you can her it when im driving and it feels like its lacking alot of power and torque.

Oil level is fine, Cambelt, aux belt and service was done in Jan with recepits

Any help welcomed

thanks

Civic Type R
I'd guess possibly de phaser, although I am sure someone more qualified with be along to help shortly.. A video of the noise would help diagnose it.

I have a slight ticking sound too, but only when the engine is warmed up. From reading dozens of posts on here, mine is almost definately the dephaser pulley. If / when it gets worse, people describe it sounding like a diesel or a tractor. I dont think that would be related to the rev issue though.

Mine's best described as hesitant to drive for the first 2 mins until the engine's warmed up, and again, it's pretty common on these cars.

If you let it idle, I take it you can hear it ? If you blip the throttle does the noise get faster ?

Clio 182
annoying isnt it, i can here it when it idles, even if the engine is cold or warm? and the noise speeds up when the revs go up...

Clio 172 Cup
Mine is exactly the same, same ticking noise, exhaust popping and splutternig on and has the occasional missfire/ hesitation while driving, how can a tell if the dephaser pulley is goosed when ya strip it down and get to it ?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
You can pop out the camshaft setting point end caps and see if there's any free play in the inlet camshaft... these plugs WILL need replacing though so buy replacements BEFORE popping them out and do not run the engine without them.

Mick

Clio 182
Ok garage is lookin into the problem to see what it is, they said it will cost them 250 to find the fault ect.. Does that sound okay?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Ok garage is lookin into the problem to see what it is, they said it will cost them 250 to find the fault ect.. Does that sound okay?

Ring them up and tell them to fcuk off then go and find a decent garage.

Clio 182
Is it too late to tell them not to? I know the dephaser pulley has gone so I was thinking £170 ish for the pull £60 for belts then labour, be around £400 ish? I think they would be looking into everything? For the 250, but then I don't fancy paying 250 plus the 400? What should I do guys

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Common sense should be making the alarm bell in your head ring - Do what you like but I check the timing/dephaser for £35 and that includes new end caps... i'd tell them no thanks and go elsewhere.

Clio 182
Hey Guys, If the ticking gets faster when i rev the car could it be something other than the dephaser pulley?,,, just worried if i get the dephaser changed the problem might still be there and would mean £400 wasted.

Please advise guys

Thanks

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
yes it could be anything could even be a belt noise but without hearing it its hard to say get a video up 400 for a dephaser is way to cheap