ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 track car

Clio 172
Rear beam strengthening in progress.
FB_IMG_1591356205860.jpg
FB_IMG_1591356202482.jpg

Clio 172
After reading the "My quest for the perfect fast-road suspension setup" thread, I decided to order a set of AST 4100 80nm front/ rear coilovers from @Simon@ASTUK as they are on offer atm through Cooksport and on the shelf for next day delivery (Wishbones and rear beam off the car so perfect time to get them on).

If needed, I can respring the rears for stiffer as recommended by Simon as didn't want to go too stiff and ruin the feel of the car.

So the BC BR coilovers with uprated 8kg springs will be coming off and up for sale soon. Not sure on price though🤔

Clio 172
Spoke to AST this morning, they will be dispatching the 4100 series coilovers Monday for delivery Tuesday. So the garage are going to be cutting the spring perch off the rear beam and welding on the remaining pieces to box in the sections.

Discs from @George@RTR_Parts should be delivered Monday/ Tuesday.

Have also booked my first Trackday for 12th August at Snetterton with Track Obsession.

Clio 172
So shes finally down on her wheels after a long time due to waiting on parts. Defiantly needs a good wash after collecting dust in the garage :O
IMG_20200629_182101.jpg

From the top view of the front wheel with the alignment to be done, can see the top of the wheel sits outside the arch quite a bit. Hopefully with some camber it will inside the arch. If not, Ill be looking at swapping the 16mm spacer to a 10mm spacer (the Pro-Am Racing geometry kit gives an additional 5mm width aswell).
IMG_20200629_182451.jpg

Had to raise the AST 4100 coilovers on the rear quite a bit when first installed, as had that slammed look :p
IMG_20200629_182457.jpg
IMG_20200629_182504.jpg

Couple photos of the Pro-AM Racing Roll Centre Kit installed, looks a great piece of kit from @Tomotek alongside the AST4100.
IMG_20200630_084207.jpg

IMG_20200630_084213[1].jpg

IMG_20200630_084658.jpg

Powerflex black rear shock bush pre-tightened down so looks like there very little thread to able to tighten the nut to.
IMG_20200629_174059[1].jpg

However, once tightened down looks okay.
Screenshot_20200630_191928_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

A few issues which have ran into during the garage stint:
- When ordered the PMS lightweight pulley kit with the standard crank pulley from PMS themselves, was sent the 4PK1295 belt. However then when gone to fit belt, its app. 40mm too short. Spoke to Nick, and said yes its the wrong belt as got to standard crank pulley whereas the lightweight pulley is smaller to enable to the use of the 4PK1295. So had to buy another belt, a 4PK1360 with the standard crank pulley and lighweight alternator pulley/ PAS pump pulley/ water pump pulley.
- Didn't have nuts for the rear AST4100 so ordered some nuts from AST themselves last Wednesday which should have been delivered Saturday but wasn't. Spoke to AST Yesterday, and said may have been an issue with royal mail wanting additional postage and should get a delivery note to sign for the extra postage so they sent out another set which was straight to the garage and should have been delivered today but again no sign. So had to search round and ended up going to a french car breakers and took the nuts of a shocks of the back of a standard 1.2 clio to be able to fit the coilovers.
- The rear AST coilovers appear to be very close to the inside arch so will require some "percusive" maintenance to give them some extra clearance. Could have been caused by the welding in of the PMS strengthening kit warping the rear beam or the beam is bent slightly.
- Battery required moving a bit as replaced the RamAir filter for a AEM dry-flow filter which is a larger diamater, meaning the battery had to be pushed back so it could fit into the same place.
- Had to order longer wheels studs for the front as the 75mm PMS studs were too short with the 16mm spacer, so had to order the 82mm studs.

From here, the clio is booked in for alignment of friday with a company called AutoTest who are very good at setting up geometry, and need to swap the seats over. Ive got a Cobra Sebring to go in, to replace the Sparco Pro-2000 seat.

Clio 172
Didn't realise that the roll centre correction had been fitted incorrectly, but @Tomotek spotted it straight away in the picture😅 the track rod end was set at stage 2 and the Wishbone was set to stage 1👀
Screenshot_20200701_094002.jpg

Spoke to the garage who fitted it, and they have now rectified it😁 so now both set to stage 1
received_1693321590816050.jpeg

Clio 172
So went to garage today again, as was going to fit my seat they advised not to just in case it gets dirty/ ruined whilst being moved around.

There was still some air in the brakes so required bleeding again, was taken down the road and still a small amount left in so requires bit more bleeding lol

Also, they fitted the new bonnet but have scratched the new one on both sides whilsr fitting the aero latches. So the bodyshop guy there (who fitted the aerolatches) is going to repair those.

Ordered a pair of each of the rear shims from PMS (10', 20'. 30', 1 degree) along with 10mm spacers to replace the 16mm spacers on the front and a set of new stub axle bolts for alignment tomorrow.

Clio 172
Car has now been aligned with shims from PMS used to rear to set alignment, and spacers on front have been swapped from 16mm to 10mm.
IMG_20200707_101403.jpg

Next stop is to go to the paint shop to sort the bonnet scratches, and then swap the drivers seat out from the Sparco 2000 to my Cobra Sebring.

Clio 172
Just out of interest, How much "gap" have you got between the caliper and barrel and have you got wheel weights on that section or had to have them placed on the wider part of the barrel?
Those aren't my brakes ;) they were photos from Russ/ HyperHatch for sale thread:p

Clio 172
Just seen this is up for sale. Absolute bargain with the spec imo! Good luck with the sale, don't reckon it will be around for long at that price 👍
Cheers mate, I'm changing jobs so going from an offshore role to onshore so taking a pay cut and won't be able to afford to run it. Also, won't have time to use it either so needs must.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Cheers mate, I'm changing jobs so going from an offshore role to onshore so taking a pay cut and won't be able to afford to run it. Also, won't have time to use it either so needs must.

Sorry to hear that mate. Good luck with the sale. Bargain!

Knew this wouldn't take long to sell. If I could have strapped my kids to roll cage for school run I'd have been calling you as soon as advert went up 🤣

stebat

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I’ve just had mine done and the Hunter suggested standard front toe is -17.
Any thoughts on this?