ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 vs 106 gti

Meg 230 f1
I've eaten some 106's yet only pulled a bit on others.....are their different phases? Or just standard/modded?[/quote

these are the different ones aint sure if the last ones are gti
Peugeot106 GTi 1.6
Peugeot
106 GTi 1.6 (*135bhp)
Peugeot106 Rallye 1.3
Peugeot106 Rallye 1.6

Those figures arent accurate.

Me and Day (mk1 172) had some motorway playtime, nothing in it upto stupid speeds.

They may not be accurate but it's still around 5 seconds quicker to 100mph (the 172). That's a fair difference imo.

0-100 is a better test of a car's acceleration, I think.

I agree but id like to test that tbh.

Side by side upto 120 leptons suggests otherwise..

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
Me either.

Good ones and bad ones. And if Taylors is no quicker than a 1.6 8v Rally she's bought a dog lol.

it's just a Ph2 172, they all seem like that to me... quick ones seem to be exception not the rule.

im actually talking about my ph1
which was actually as fast / little faster than a standard cup

maybe i just had a quick rallye lol

RenaultSport 172.
...no matter what people say about gtis, theyre fast.

as said before, f**k up a gear change and its game over.

VaVa
having owned both i recon im more qualified to comment than 75% of people on this thread

I doubt it. You're female for a start which means you can take your opinion and divide it's reliability and accuracy by a third straight away. ;)

Seriously eveeryone has their own experiences - I guess there must just be massive coagulation of the countries most useless drivers where I live!

having owned both i recon im more qualified to comment than 75% of people on this thread

not just that, bridge test each car and it's a case of flooring it from a roll and changing gear... shame the 106 is gone, would have been funny to bring it to a meet and put it into practise

GDI 227bhp ITB`d 172 cup
gti`s r quick imo, but the 172 should just do it. me mates got a gti with breethin mods, exhaust n cams n that was just about keepin wiv my cup when it was standard

I doubt it. You're female for a start which means you can take your opinion and divide it's reliability and accuracy by a third straight away. ;)

Seriously eveeryone has their own experiences - I guess there must just be massive coagulation of the countries most useless drivers where I live!

gti`s r quick imo, but the 172 should just do it. me mates got a gti with breethin mods, exhaust n cams n that was just about keepin wiv my cup when it was standard

thats the thing, a Cup is also noticeably quicker than a 172 FF... basically it's only FF owners that think they are that quick lol

b/g 182, meg tourer
driven the same, the clio will have the edge, not by a vast ammount but it has the edge. like someone saig a couple of pages back. mess up a gear change and the gti will take it

a thirsty one
all gtis came with the same 1.6 16v 120bhp engine the earlier models (with bump strips down side and cloth interior) under the skin are the same, ran quite a few on various rolling roads and found most made a few bhp above the 120 factory figure. the later 2000+ gtis started to come with egr valves but performance wise the same.

i can only comment on the gti i had which was 140bhp and my 182 ff clio, the clio is quicker 0-60 and 0-100 if they both did perfect starts and gear changes, as for the different clios its all about weight in these little french hatches, im amazed at how even in the 182's you can really feel the difference when you have a few people in, takes the edge of the performance.

gti 0-60 = 7.4 and 0-100 = 22.2
172 cup 0-60 = 6.5 and 0-100 17.7
182 full fat 0-60 = 6.6 and 0-100 = 17.5

(from evo magazine tested themselves)

get a modded gti with its weight advantage and power to weight starts to play a more important role, weight difference between a gti and a 182ff is a massive 160kg. im getting old now the climate control, cruise control and xenons make it worth it.

172 Credit crunch edition

Well tbh my rallye was great fun to drive and if i could find a really really nice example i woulf F**k the cup off and get it (my rallye was on par with my mates Saxo VTS) (Both standard!!!!)
Not as quick as the cup but hey like previous posts have stated the cup is noticlbly quicker than a F/F.

Id still have a 106 GTi or Rallye over my 172 Cup any day of the week!!!!

Clio Sport xxx
I have a FF 172 and have had a race with a 106 gti from some lights, only a short race until the next set of light... long enough to reach the end of 2nd gear (60ish mph) though.

I can safely say i was a car length infront when we hit the brakes, and he defo had some sort of breathing mods... AND i short shifted in 1st (5500rpm)

106's are ok, clio sports are just plain better though in every respect... hell, my mk2 golf had a more desirable dash then the pug!! lol

clio 172 exclusive n
dont underestimate the pug up too 100 they are vey quick :) would choose the clio sport everytime though

i just wanna beat him cos every day he is bangin on about how he is going to win

you have a better car, if you use your head and don`t spin the wheels too much you will win, it`s all about power to weight, take your spare wheel out and everything else which could slow you down before you leave home (don`t call me if you have a flat though!;) )
be confident, make sure you have your car in top condition, not too much fuel for racing though and use some 102 ron unleaded from a BP garage, i bet he will! i get my fuel from BP Newport Pagnell LOOK FOR 102 RON! there is an improvement in performance!check the BP website.
YOU CAN WIN! IT`S UP TO YOU, the pug is a little lighter but the Clio has more power and quite possibly a more intelligent driver!
I reckon a mk1 clio with a 172/182 motor must be one of the best n/a combinations there is, so light yet so powerful.
My son has an rsi and it`s quite suprising how quick it is ( on the road, round the twisties etc) considering that it isn`t supposed to be quick at all really.

CX-7,westfield,ix20
I've owned a 106 gti and now have a 182FF.

The 106 is a crackin little car and if you know how to drive it, it is VERY capable.

In a straight line the 182 would have the edge but on a twisty road the difference between the two wouldn't be so good.

I never had much respect for the gti's whe nI had my rover turbo but once I actually drove one...I went out and bought one for some cheap fun!

Bang per buck...quite hard to match the 106 in terms of power delivery and fun factor (IMO of course)

David

Nippy white cup
I have only had a couple of runs but I would think standard for standard with both engines running right the Clio would take it but as we all no you can have good and bad ones with most engines and if you fluff your start you would struggle to make it up before the end. On a 50mph roll though (which tends to be what my blasts entail) you should pull pretty well from him (in my limited experience anyway)

http://media.putfile.com/Cup-vs-106-GTi

Chris

Some people in this thread can have a balanced look at things, based on experiences and know that the same cars, with the same engines can differ.

Some people will swear blind that theres no difference because their Clio is the best thing to ever roll on the planet.

Its funny how the GTi is much slower when theres a very small gap in the figures, but when its a 1*2 vs a Evo/Scooby/M3 there is very little difference when in reality the gap is much bigger.

Titanium 182
no phase 1 Ever beat my old 172 in any trim of tuning!

Anyway 106 isn't all that impressive, tanked numerous!

That has got to be the biggest load of bull i have ever Ali sorry mate but it is

For the money you cant get any better the a gti, and if its got breathing mods it will put a good fight u!!!!, believe me i have done it loads of time in my old vts and my old gti, no matter weather is was a 182, or 172 the vts/gti was right behind it

It was only 100 mph+ that they would get away, and by that time my point was proven

BMW bus
I had a VTS and now i've got a Cup. For me the Cup is in a totally different league where straight line performance is concerned. Like people have said previously, you get good engines and bad ones, and i know the FF is marginally slower than a Cup, but imo the 172 should beat the 106 everytime (as long as you dont balls the start)

you have a better car, if you use your head and don`t spin the wheels too much you will win, it`s all about power to weight, take your spare wheel out and everything else which could slow you down before you leave home (don`t call me if you have a flat though!;) )
be confident, make sure you have your car in top condition, not too much fuel for racing though and use some 102 ron unleaded from a BP garage, i bet he will! i get my fuel from BP Newport Pagnell LOOK FOR 102 RON! there is an improvement in performance!check the BP website.
YOU CAN WIN! IT`S UP TO YOU, the pug is a little lighter but the Clio has more power and quite possibly a more intelligent driver!

Are you for real?

"YOU CAN WIN! IT'S UP TO YOU"
:lolup:

i just wanna beat him cos every day he is bangin on about how he is going to win

I reckon a mk1 clio with a 172/182 motor must be one of the best n/a combinations there is, so light yet so powerful.
My son has an rsi and it`s quite suprising how quick it is ( on the road, round the twisties etc) considering that it isn`t supposed to be quick at all really.

You clearly dont drive a Clio.

Cooper S
Having owned a number of French Hot Hatches (AXGT, Saxo VTS, FF182 and now 197) they are all cracking cars, you can't beat them for value for money, as long as you can live with the sketchy reliability!

IN my 182 I had a few encounters with VTS' and 106 GTI's and on a normal road there isn't alot in it, it is alot to do with how good/brave/stupid the driver is....

I got left by a VTS on a twisty road once, he was 3 up, simple fact was:- He was willing to kill someone, I wasn't!

They are all good fun and you can get alot of car for not alot of money. For me RS Clio's are a logical progression, especially if you do not want to cane a car all day everyday to be able to overtake safely/easily etc. They are alot better built as well.

That said, if I ever got desperate for cash I wouldn't think twice about selling up and grabbiong myself a tidy 106GTi for £1500!

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
I think you'd be surprised I've owned a 106 before my 182 and they weren't slow :)

Snotter's
i have a ctr and a vts,i also have a friend with a 172 ff and another with a cup both standard. The vts against the 172 ff is pretty much the same up to the top end of third then the 172 pulls and then around 100 the gap seems to remain the same. The cup however is quicker all round imo there is a noticeable difference between 172 ff and a cup.

E46 M3, x2 GTT, RS250
Having owned a number of French Hot Hatches (AXGT, Saxo VTS, FF182 and now 197) they are all cracking cars, you can't beat them for value for money, as long as you can live with the sketchy reliability!

IN my 182 I had a few encounters with VTS' and 106 GTI's and on a normal road there isn't alot in it, it is alot to do with how good/brave/stupid the driver is....

I got left by a VTS on a twisty road once, he was 3 up, simple fact was:- He was willing to kill someone, I wasn't!

They are all good fun and you can get alot of car for not alot of money. For me RS Clio's are a logical progression, especially if you do not want to cane a car all day everyday to be able to overtake safely/easily etc. They are alot better built as well.

That said, if I ever got desperate for cash I wouldn't think twice about selling up and grabbiong myself a tidy 106GTi for £1500!

All of the cars above would be destroyed by a good 5.

Cooper S
All of the cars above would be destroyed by a good 5.[/quote]

I'm sure they would, but I was always deterred by the widely reported reliabiltity issues e.g overheating and the insurance cost given that I was only 18 when I got the AXGT. By the time I could've really have afforded to run an R5GT there were far too many bad ones around! Still think a standard grey one looks Ace though!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I raced a yellow 106gti in my old 172 mk2.It looked really nice and had black wheels and was very low.It was only after 70-80mph that i got the legs on it.Around the bends and everywhere else he was all over me

a thirsty one
the RS clios are the natural progression from cars like the 106 gti, when i was looking at a change nothing peugeot had interested me but the clio 182 fit the bill as as a suitable replacement, the 1*2's and the pug gtis have the same thinking behind them, both are slightly over engined hatches.

think 106 gti think 1*2 ff
think 106 rallye think 1*2 cup

i went for a 182 as it seemed the next step up, same principles but a more grown up and newer car.

still have my old modded gti as my screen saver though.