ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 vs 106 gti

Yesterday, me and a mate were on our private track, and both doing about 15mph in 2nd. Me in a completely standard 182, and him in a 106 GTi with BMC CDA, some manifold, decat and group N or O or P or Q ( :D ) exhaust.

He floored it, so I followed suit. Up until about 100 there really was nothing in it, I was maybe gaining a tiny bit.

My old GTi handled better though I think.

Mk4 .:R32
I think it is still a case of which you'd rather have!

A slightly slower match box with wheels

or a 1*2 make out of seamen and chocolate.

Ronaldo Clio 172 Phase 1
My clio beats 106 gtis hands down, not saying they are bad cars as a few ppl i know have them, ive always had 205 gtis before the 172 but i love my clio hes well nippy x

clio sport 172
Not bein funny guys,but most cars worth their salt would beat most other cars with a few mods, unless you start getting into turbo territory.

How close would a 106 GTI be to a 172 both with the same mods?

Im not sticking up for clios, i just think its a bit of a daft statement. No offence :)

Snotter's
its not all about performance though. Fair enough the 106 gives a 172 a good run for it's money, std v std the 172 will win, looks better (imo) and less chav-esque. The 106's are only a similar speed as they weigh 200kgs less. So if you strip some weight and make a couple of engine mods to up the power:weight then 106's shouldn't be a problem

Bit of a silly comment really,its like saying the 172 is only similar as it has more power!!! Bottom line is they are pretty much on par,the 172 will be a fraction quicker but a gti/vts will keep with one all day.

If you wanna talk about modding and reducing weight then i reckon £ for £ the gti/vts starts to make more sense.

Its too late now, the title pulled me in..

See, some people, like yourself are able to have an honest, unbiased view about both cars.

Then you get some people who will just stick their fingers in their ears and shout because nothing is better than theyre precious Clio.

I would much rather have a 182. But.. When I bought mine, at 19, I could just about afford a mk1 172, but not the insurance. I didnt want to pay a stupid amount every month so I bought the GTi.

Its maybe not quite as quick as a 172, but get a gear change wrong, not ready to go and the GTi will win. Its faaaaaaaaaaaaaaar closer than people give them credit for.

All round, the 172 is probably a nicer place to be. Better interior, better brakes, safer etc etc.

I think the GTi might out-handle it and id argue that mines looks as good as any 172, but some people need to wake up and realise that the 172 isnt the best car in the world.

Oh and the 106 isnt really as much of a chav car as people make out. I see just as many chav'd up Clios, if not more.

I think the GTi might out-handle it and id argue that mines looks as good as any 172, but some people need to wake up and realise that the 172 isnt the best car in the world.

to be fair a combi-van could out handle a 172, they are shite and totally over rated by the ignorant plebs on here. R27 is easily the best handling Clio standard, followed by the Williams... the rest are a WAY off.

MCS R56

to be fair a combi-van could out handle a 172, they are s**te and totally over rated by the ignorant plebs on here. R27 is easily the best handling Clio standard, followed by the Williams... the rest are a WAY off.

In your opinion. Rather harsh. Combi-Van?!

178hp 172 Cup
i think if ur on a small budget then a 106 GTi is perfect!! it aint all about straight line speed!! especially in hot hatches!! i am sure most will agree the clio is nippy but not rapid by no means!! but on b roads they are so much fun and much faster car will struggle to leave one behind!!

it all comes down to budgets IMO!! the cars are similar simply coz of power to weight but if i had the money it would b a CS everytime!! but for those on a smaller budget the 106 would b a great car to buy!!

how do the older 106's ( XSi ) compare to the GTi??

178hp 172 Cup
gotta admit never driven a Wiliams or a R27 ( hope the misses buys one however ;) ) but the cup is defo overrated as standard!! rolls like a boat as standard, thank god for H&R Coliovers ;)

are the Trophy's not upto scratch then??

to be fair a combi-van could out handle a 172, they are s**te and totally over rated by the ignorant plebs on here. R27 is easily the best handling Clio standard, followed by the Williams... the rest are a WAY off.

lol, the 1*2's aren't crap at handling. Obviously not the best cars in the world, but plenty good enough for the UK's b-roads.

lol, well having never driven them I didnt want to slate them!

Its too late now, the title pulled me in..

See, some people, like yourself are able to have an honest, unbiased view about both cars.

Then you get some people who will just stick their fingers in their ears and shout because nothing is better than theyre precious Clio.

Well, I'm not fussed on whether a car is faster than mine or not. I didn't buy my car because it was faster than x car. If I wanted the fastest car on the road, I would have bought the fastest one I could afford lol.

Even 1 second difference to 60 is hardly noticable on the road, and depends on the driver.

I suppose some people are insecure in life or something?

lol, well having never driven them I didnt want to slate them!

Trust me, over rated in the extreme. It's amazing to think that in 10+ years from the Williams to 172 all they managed was a longer 2nd gear to get a better 0-60 and give the impression of improvement. Sadly the same trick cant be used when it comes to the handling, I find the 172/182's shite in comparison (bar the Trophy which I've not driven) and a decent Williams with new suspension is in a different league. Now the R27's out that's notably better than the Williams, so really it's only 15 years for them to make any inroads.

My old Zetec S (the original MY 2000) was better round the twisty stuff than a 172, turned in sharper and better, just as much grip, less body roll, easier to adjust and play with etc. Shame they were so underpowered really.

LY R26
I have a Saxo VTS,
Ill safely tell you people that a 172 Cup has the edge over a Saxo VTS/106 GTi.

Its not a huge amount but the 106/Saxo fights hard all the way up too 100 :)

L Reg Clio RT, Polo X 2
106gti's are a relativly quick hot hatch . With a smaal amount of engine work lartge gains can be found . Handling isnt as bad as most would think . I imagine iff your mate enjoys modding cars he will of changed the suspension , Bushes and maybee even subframe to strengthen and aid handling .

I bet there arnt to many standard Peugs within the modifying scence nocking around at all nowadays .