ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 vs 106 gti

a thirsty one
i was comparing pug models and range to renault model and range not gti v rallye or 172 v 182.

you own a s1 8v or s2 16v?

CX-7,westfield,ix20
Totally agree with the 'natural progression' comments.

I used to think straight line speed was fun until I got rod of my rover turbo and got my old 106 gti to save cash when I moved flats a while back.

Planned to run the 106 for a while then get somethin with BIG power again but it totally transformed the way I drive and think about driving if you know what I mean.

Did contemplate getting TB's for the 106 but need my car for work so wanted a relatively standard car (for reliability) - clio was the only car I found (and I tried a lot!) that could match the 106 for fun/handling etc.

Only other cars that were real contenders were elise and s2000 but couldn't get in the elise without the roof off and there wasn't enough room for my legs in the s2000 lol (I'm 6' 3" ish)

To some up the drivel I just wrote lol..

The clio is just a grown up 106 IMO

David

a thirsty one
yeah sorry blonde moment 1.3 in s1 and 1.6 in the s2 but both 8v always liked the look of the s2 in white with some white speedlines, when you say better in terms of cheap handling and thrills then yeah but as far as day to day performance and creature comforts (and safety) im glad i moved onto the 1*2 range.

Snotter's
I think what you meant was you associate 106 gti owners WITH chavs !!! i would class a 172 with after market rims chavvy

Gem

Racing Blue 182
No his sentence was in fact, correct. Perhaps worded wrongly, but correct nonetheless. :)

VaVa
Come to the midlands Dan. We'll film your 106 sticking with my 172 and then it'll be put to bed forever...........Or another thread will pop up next week with the same amount of BS in and no one will pay a blind bit of notice to anything but the figures in Evo. lol

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
my old GTi would of minced 172's (in fact it did on the lakes run)

then it blew up

memories.

pug006.jpg

62a5a6be.jpg

pug008.jpg

then

DSC00041.jpg

DSC00043.jpg

DSC00044.jpg

M140i
Had a couple of runs against a late model GTi and there wasn't that much in it to 120ish (on private road) had the edge the whole time not by much though

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Mods,

Cat 708's cams
4-2-1 Raceland
Ecosse Filter
De-cat
De-cat back exhaust
Ported head
kevlar clutch
Re map
Bilstiens

a few other bits :)

R/R at 160hp!

a thirsty one
ben p - crikey that must have been rapid, mine went bang as well after a garage fitted a new cambelt over tight and it sheared the woodruff key on the bottom crank/pulley and went bang. i was sat in traffic at the time it took about 4 inlet and a few exhaust valves out with it.

when it went boom i was considering cat cams and going the whole hog but couldnt get the money together so just repaired it instead.

clio 172 cup
has anybody seen the supercharger off ecosse for the 106 takes the power to 190bhp i reckon 0-60 of about 5.odd secs

Mk4 .:R32
I quite like 106 GTi's. I suppose it could be classed more of a "chav-mobile" cos they are cheaper to buy and insure than 172's and very similar thrills in terms of performance.

Astra CDTI XP & ZX6R
Ive had two 106 gtis and my mate has a 172, the last one i had was 150bhp and that about the same speed. Im after a clio 172 now sooooo that says it all.!

Mk4 .:R32
its not all about performance though. Fair enough the 106 gives a 172 a good run for it's money, std v std the 172 will win, looks better (imo) and less chav-esque. The 106's are only a similar speed as they weigh 200kgs less. So if you strip some weight and make a couple of engine mods to up the power:weight then 106's shouldn't be a problem

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Great little cars for the money and not a million miles away from the 172 on a good a/b road

Astra van,Mk1 nova
no phase 1 Ever beat my old 172 in any trim of tuning!

Anyway 106 isn't all that impressive, tanked numerous!

Who have you tanked round aberdeen mate ?

fill me in guys;) , my mk1 16valver used to smoke them for fun, could not get beat for a while until the scooby boys came knocking lol, really cant see a 106 gti having the cup, not knocking the 106gti, very nice little cars when not chaved up:)

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Its mainly the handling that carries them so well,if you get a good driver and a badly driven 172 then your introuble

Plus the 106 gti's are so easy to control with just a set of springs

172 cup
I have a completely standard 53 plate 172 cup. My younger brother has a slightly modified 03 plate 106 GTi with lowered suspension, strut braces, induction kit and sports exhaust. We both do a lot of track days in our cars and our Dad's track prepared 350z so know how to drive fairly well.

This summer, just after buying my car, we did an evening session at Donington. I was expecting to have no problems beating my brother's GTi......didn't happen! I couldn't shake him off my tail all evening, they are amazing little cars considering they're a 1.6, group 12 insurance!!!

Still prefer my cup tho!

CX-7,westfield,ix20
^^^Group 13 but agree with you...

Cracking cars for what they are!!

Had a race with a mate in his impreza when I had my old one...he pulled away but not by a lot!!!

Think he was as shocked as I was. I thought he was toying with me but he assured me he was trying lol.

Very easy car to drive fast aswell and even when you push it TOO far it's still very forgiving!!

Nissan Pulsar GTiR
I think it's all down to the driver.

I don't know if anyone remembers but, on 5th Gear many moons ago, when it was a decent programme, they pitted the 172 against a Saxo VTS around a track. Tiff Needell was driving the Saxo and that Butler-Henderson thing was drivng the 172. Needless to say, Tiff was pushing her round the track.... literally.

When it comes to the two cars, the power to weight ratio is quite similar so, with drivers of equal ability, it will be very close. I suspect the 172 might just edge away, ever so slightly, as the speeds rise to triple figures.

EP3 Civic Type R
Interesting discussions in here
Ive owned 4 106GTi's tuned to varying degree's and im not in ownership of my 1st ph2 172, and i can say there isn't alot really between them.

First of all the 172 is quicker hands down, yes up to 30, 100 or 130 whatever, however id say the GTi handles that little more so better, however I would like to point out ive seen many a VTS/106GTi run low 15's on pod days, and infact my first 106GTi pulled a 15.3 when it was 100% standard, since then ive rarely seen a 172 in standard form get much quicker than this really, certainly not enough to warrant the term 'tanked' anyway.

Mods on a GTi are leathal... my 2nd one remapped, decat, full system, manifold etc, seen a sub 15 standing quater, and could easily hold its own against 172's ph1 and ph2, id really wish it was still kicking around as id be interested to see if it's quicker than my clio

End of the day its horses and courses, personally theres very little in each, 172 quicker ever so slightly, but a couple of choice mods and the 106gti is more than a worth oponent