ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 172 vs megane 225

clio 172
Just been for a test drive in a 225 megane...and compared to the 172....

WOW what a difference!

the first thing i noticed was how quick it accelerates compared to the clio in the first 3 gears when the turbo comes on boost = :eek: :D :D :D

then came a different suprise...it is a bus through the corners compared to the clio. it really wallows and is mighty twichy if you touch a bump mid corner.so i can honestly say thaqt on a twist road..a clio would slay it...easilly!

would say that when you aint in the boost in top gear the clio would edge it.
but on a par.. the comfort, quietness and sheer driveabillity at all speeds of the megane makes it a better motor. no more knocking engine etc etc :rolleyes:
anyone else have the same thoughts?

i know why the cups,trophys & r26 are more sought after now...cuz if they sort out that twitchyness it would make it muchos better.

BMW M135i
If it was an early 225 then I wouldn't be surprised if it felt like that more of a cruiser than a hot hatch, a cupped one is a big step forward apparently. I'd say mine handles pretty much the same as my 172 but feels a lot more planted, even though down a very twisty road its in the 172s hands due to less weight i'd imagine. But everything else is far superior, try a mapped one!

clio 172
If it was an early 225 then I wouldn't be surprised if it felt like that more of a cruiser than a hot hatch, a cupped one is a big step forward apparently. I'd say mine handles pretty much the same as my 172 but feels a lot more planted, even though down a very twisty road its in the 172s hands due to less weight i'd imagine. But everything else is far superior, try a mapped one!

would that sort the lag then? what rpm would the turbo kick in with a map then?

BMW M135i
Ive had a couple of run ins against the megane 225's, indeed they are faster, but not what i expected seeing as they are like 60bhp more than my Cup...
50hp but another 300kg, so not a great deal in it until towards 3 figures.

would that sort the lag then? what rpm would the turbo kick in with a map then?
You'll never get rid of the lag with a turbo, boost comes in about 2.5k which was the same before tbh. Only difference is I get 400nm from 3k instead of 300nm before.

53 Clio's & counting
the thing is turbo cars always seem faster, because you have lag, then the power comes in in a big hit,get an engine that produces a good wave of power througout the rev range and you can be up the road before matey is even on boost lol

ITB'd 172
ive been interested how the maganes perform and this sounds promising.
i own a clio but a future, larger hothatch possibility could be a megane cup or R26
hmmm goes to ponder what the bank will say...

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
You only get lag if you off the throttle for a while and try to plant it back on in a high gear.

You don't notice any lad when accelerating, due to it's tiny turbo.

Remap brings the engine alive, as mine felt very tame standard and i preferred my old 172's engine.

Have driven a non-cup chassis'd one, didn't feel as planted but still more than a 172 would be at speed.

225 isn't really faster than 1*2 up to three figure speeds, after which it will pull away.

however with a nice remap you can start keeping older M3's honest. philmots has an F1 edition (i think) with 265bhp and 300+ lb/ft and that flies AND handles - it just doesn't roll like the clios do and grips more too

like people have said, it's the turbo effect that makes it feel faster

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Had a run with an R27 on the A30, was pulling on him up till triple figures... suppose 185bhp & around a ton of weight makes mine a little quiker than most 172's :eek:

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Standard for standard i couldnt put up with the mpg difference for little performance gains.

If it wasnt an issue then a mapped one would be great

2002 172 monaco blue
i think the 225 is a nice car, hows it compared on specs againt the mighty v6???

wiley

BMW M135i
Standard for standard i couldnt put up with the mpg difference for little performance gains.

If it wasnt an issue then a mapped one would be great
My mpg hasn't differed pre and post remap. Slight improvement if anything.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Yes but at least you have the extra power now,as standard there not a million miles appart.With a map it justifies to me at least the extra running costs

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Yeh I have heard that remaps help MPG, but its still going to be s**t on a Megane which is all Ian was getting at.

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
225 isn't really faster than 1*2 up to three figure speeds, after which it will pull away.

however with a nice remap you can start keeping older M3's honest. philmots has an F1 edition (i think) with 265bhp and 300+ lb/ft and that flies AND handles - it just doesn't roll like the clios do and grips more too

like people have said, it's the turbo effect that makes it feel faster

They are quite similar speed wise, but you can catch a 1*2 out of below 5.5k and pull away easy. The 225 pulls very linear standard, doesn't feel like a turbo and there is no noticeable kick.

I understand what Ian is saying, standard 225 is slighter quicker and the mpg is worse. But you do have much more torque standard and alot lower down the rev range.

My Megane was stuck to a E46 M3 Cab's bumper all the way 100buttons the other week, then it pulled away comfortable. It was very neck to neck from a rolling start - 100.

cock mobile.
Yes but at least you have the extra power now,as standard there not a million miles appart.With a map it justifies to me at least the extra running costs

Yeh I have heard that remaps help MPG, but its still going to be s**t on a Megane which is all Ian was getting at.

MPG on the Megane isn't that bad, about the same as the 197 from things I've read.

Plus compare the Megane to a ST, VXR, etc which are of the same class.

Focus RS mk1
get a 1*2 cammed and a standard megane wont pull away, i had a little run with 1 other nite 3 times we went for it rolling start and standing start and there was nothing in it at all, if anythin i had an edge on the standing start.

get a 1*2 cammed and a standard megane wont pull away, i had a little run with 1 other nite 3 times we went for it rolling start and standing start and there was nothing in it at all, if anythin i had an edge on the standing start.

Thats like saying get a Megane mapped, IC, exhaust and start *****ing about blah blah etc etc.

Standard on standard a Megane will be quicker? no?

130i, 306 hdi, vrs
Dont f**k about just get a r26 you will never look back !
bedford041.jpg