ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 with Nitrous Oxide - Info/Help Please - US Style System

Hi All,

ok to cut a long story short, clio 172 is driven occasionally.. i bought a sniper wet nos system a while ago for my subaru to use as spool for my GT30.

Anyway as it happened, i didnt research before hand, i did it after purchasing the kit which meant i soon realised how inferior these kits were compared to Wizards of Nos Kits.

SO i went and bought a WON kit for the subaru.. but that all beign said i still have this american nos system with 50hp and 80 hp jets. now im thinking maybe its time to use it as i cant get rid of it, so im thinking stick it on the clio 172. has anyone fitted this style kit to a clio?

secondly ive just managed to source a minimax progressive nitrous controller cheap via ebay, so hoping that will make it a little more reliable on the clio bring it in slow.

so basically, what issues am i too expect fitting this style kit? and also from those with experience any recommended settings etc.

Thanks

Eddy

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The main issue you are to expect is solenoid failure from the rubbish american solenoids if you run them PWM controlled with the minimax TBH. (IIRC the NOS manual last time I checked stated the solenoids to be rebuilt after SIX minutes of pulsed use, where as a wizards solenoid will last your lifetime)

I'd not put that kit on an engine with fragile piston crowns like an F4R, if I did I would only want to do so with a wizards kit.
Although I guess I should declare a bit of a "registered interest" in that Trev (the wizard of nos) is a lifelong friend of mine.

would it be any better if i got solenoids from WON or are they not interchangable? other option i guess is to run 25hp jets, look online for a set and not run it with the controller.

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You can use wizards solenoids with an american bottle potentially mate yes, although personally rather than do that I would just sell the complete american kit and buy a complete wizards kit TBH

Yes im sure 25bhp from the american kit with no controller will be fine, I would use an RPM window switch just to be safe though, dont let it in under say 4K rpm.

true only issue is ive tried selling it numerous times, hence why i thought if i'm stuck with it why not use it. lol let me see if i can find a 25hp jet

Evo
I ran progressive 50bhp shots in an old 182 of mine for a good year and it never gave me any trouble. Pound for bhp still one of the best mods out there, turned a standard 182 into an Evo destroyer!

All my hardware was WON though.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Its certainly the cheapest way to increase power significantly on an F4R, the only downside is with them being such slow cars to begin with you will end up using the gas all the time if its for trackdays etc, great for drag racing though where you dont need it for long so not a problem if costs you 20p a second to use.

just out of interest how much are the won kits for a 172? im guessing its the sb150i kit? us kits seem so unreliable

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
About 600 quid new at retail price, can be a bit more depending on what options you pick, yeah a SB150i is what you are after.

Lots of good secondhand kits out there though if budget is tight.