ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 197 steering wheel melting.

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
mine went in last monday
they said hand cream you use is the main
prob for them brakin up:S i dont use hand cream
so they will replace under warrenty:rasp:
Next they'll be telling us the rattling is caused by us "shaking" the car excessively.

clio trophy No56
I'm asking fo sho then.

Make sure you do ask though, i had one replaced on my old 182 no probs when it was in for a service. Then i got the Trophy 6 months later and put it in for a service but forgot to mention the Steering wheel being papa. Went back a few weeks later, still warranty left on the car and they said NO, wear and tear bla...bla..bla...crap.:mad:
My mate asked for a new seat for his R27 three months ago, they said they would replace it under warranty and they would ring him when they had it in, they still havent rang him yet!

and so it begins again.... lol

Indeed. I'll stop short of 'I told you so' but I have long been saying that soft touch plastic does not equal better engineering. I always thought the 197 would also start falling apart and, unfortunately, it does seem to be exactly so.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Strange? Mines an 06 plate with very nearly 40k and the steering wheel is as good as the day i got it?

Megane R26
Mine has started from nowhere in the past week or so.

There's a sound young lad at Renault Wolverhampton who is very useful, so I'll go and see him. They have agreed to replace my Recaro recently too...

I do wonder what kind of state these cars will be in, in 5 years time!!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
What age are all the cars affected? Bad batch maybe? (doubt it though ;))

williams and trophy
swap it for a mk1 wheel. never had any trouble with these. reno's build quality has seriously deteriorated since the good old days tho. ;)

RB 197
Mine is pretty bad between about 3 and 5 o'clock. Don't know how best to describe it, but its gone smooth / shiny, all the smalls holes are now filled in and there is a thin raised line of material that seems to grow / raise up more when its parked up in the sun / heat lol

Its an 07 plate, done 20k.

Another great feature is the bloody wheel nuts are rusting. I got them changed under warranty about 6 months ago (the dealer suggested I might have been washing the wheels in some kind of acid and they would need to send the old ones away to be looked at - I mean wtf, but they are going the same way already.

Absolute piss poor quality.

I'll be having words come service time, but that will be fast approaching the end of the warranty period so expect the wear and tear card to be trotted out. Lost the will to take it in everytime a problem crops up as I'd spend all my bloody time there.

Barge
Make sure you do ask though, i had one replaced on my old 182 no probs when it was in for a service. Then i got the Trophy 6 months later and put it in for a service but forgot to mention the Steering wheel being papa. Went back a few weeks later, still warranty left on the car and they said NO, wear and tear bla...bla..bla...crap.:mad:
My mate asked for a new seat for his R27 three months ago, they said they would replace it under warranty and they would ring him when they had it in, they still havent rang him yet!

They came into the country from Dieppe week beginning the 7th so I was told. I'm still waiting for the stealers to ring me for mine.

My shed is falling apart. FLOL. Mint.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
mine was nov 2006 registered. 56 plate.

37k on the clock.

Clio 197
Mines a 56 plate and when I requested the replacement in June, it had only done 22000 miles.

I was all ready with a big speech on how theres no way these things should wear out after on 22000 miles, but they just said OK we'll replace it it!

Renault should change it no quibs, it depends where u take it tho. When i worked there I changed anything like that, not my money at the end of the day!

The dealers try to not change things like that as they fear they wont get paid for it by renault due to the whole 'wear and tear' thing.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Mine is in pristine condition and am looking to keep it that way.. can't believe renault still havent fixed this problem. The 197 looks/feels like proper leather though ?? wierd.. anyway I too have started putting a towel over it in sunny days.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Mine is in pristine condition and am looking to keep it that way.. can't believe renault still havent fixed this problem. The 197 looks/feels like proper leather though ?? wierd.. anyway I too have started putting a towel over it in sunny days.

I have always checked a jumper, or micro-fibre cloth over mine on hot days, that's what i reckon has saved it from melting.

Rally bus
I took mine to the garage yesterday to complain about the steering wheel wearing (started at 30k miles). According to the dealer computer it's a 100% warranty item so there shouldn't be a problem with anyone else getting one?

missmy257bhp r5/ got evo6
renault really cant get the hang of making a good steering wheel must be done by the same department who do the gearboxs ;)

197, M3, Ronart + KTM etc
Saw this Thread after I took my 197 in for a couple of Warranty issues including a similar fault on my steering wheel :mad: Didn't want to say anything till it was confirmed, so Great News; after a wait of less than 2 weeks, it's been replaced :race:
Go forth and claim ;)

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
interesting, i have to pop in to Renault for a new key card so I will make enquires about mine too.

Clio 172 LHD
I called Renault UK and the customer services woman promised me she'd get back to me and as I have come to expect from Renault, I am still waiting.