ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Cup vs Heavily modified Volvo v70

Clio 172 Cup
Hi as you know the Clio 172 cup is the fastest thing in the planet.

Anyway a friend is getting a highly modified fwd volvo v70r (1996)which has apparently over 300bhp and possibly over 400nm torque.

In all comparisons of speed, his is faster with claims of 0-60 in under 5.5 and all that, but are there any aspects which the clio would still outperform?

The volvo has a LSD but a heavy front end. Clio would do nicer mpg at least haha....

But yeah, general discussion, apart from the Clio looks nicer and not like an OAP car what can it outdo on?

For a private road and or racetrack of course, Internet police.

Please no s**tting about saying "Hurr racecar" because this is for comparison chat and wanting to one-up each other :p

Ta

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Country Lanes would be your strenght I imagine. More nimble & better under braking I'd imagine.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
I'd be surprised if it's not more like 500+ nm of torque to be honest. My S40 is currently only 277bhp but 440nm of torque.

I'm not sure what the older stuff handles like, will be pretty barge like i'd imagine. Straight line, you have NO CHANCE. you may have him off the line (if it's anything like my car, it's hard to get the power down) but as soon as he hits second gear you won't see him for dust. You may start to catch on twistys, but he'll have so much straight line speed advantage that it's very unlikely.

My advice would be to stay clear of played with Volvo's (as a fair few cars have recently found out with mine ;))

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I'd be surprised if it's not more like 500+ nm of torque to be honest. My S40 is currently only 277bhp but 440nm of torque.

I'm not sure what the older stuff handles like, will be pretty barge like i'd imagine. Straight line, you have NO CHANCE. you may have him off the line (if it's anything like my car, it's hard to get the power down) but as soon as he hits second gear you won't see him for dust. You may start to catch on twistys, but he'll have so much straight line speed advantage that it's very unlikely.

My advice would be to stay clear of played with Volvo's (as a fair few cars have recently found out with mine ;))

Yep, I had a Golf GT up my arse the other day, tried to loose him (redline in every gear y0), he sat on my bumper all the way. Spoke to the guy (nice bloke actually) & it'd been mapped. Was pretty quick for what it was, love a sleeper.

Clio 172 Cup
I've been told to include that this volvo also has uprated coilovers, uprated ARB and bigger brakes which would also help its handling, but it sounds like I may be able to throw around mine a bit more because it weighs almost half a tonne less

Z4
The volvo undoubtedly weights as much as a 3 bed semi so the power to weight is probably not too far off the Clio in reality.
Totally different cars, but if I wanted a B road blast I'd jump in ten french tin can

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
The volvo undoubtedly weights as much as a 3 bed semi so the power to weight is probably not too far off the Clio in reality.
Totally different cars, but if I wanted a B road blast I'd jump in ten french tin can

A lot of it is torque though, they put out so much! And it's exactly what the clio hasn't got lol.

Clio 172 Cup

Yeah looking at yours already,

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/volvo/s40/saloon-2004/29039/

The standard 2.5 T5 already beats the Cup off the line, and that's only with 216bhp let alone 277

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
If it's modded, it'll be much more than 300bhp and 400nm. Thats the std figures for the V70R. Unless it's a modified T5? Either way will be nippy.

Not as heavy as you'd imagine either. 1500kg max i'd have thought. It's easily 200+ bhp per tonne.

Clio 172 Cup
Here's two images of the car, the colour makes it look quite fancy. If it was one of those plain silver ones now that would be a proper sleeper!

NdZQpXH.jpg

vuREf3f.png

But insane figures on the standard turbo still I believe.

Yup had a look, think it's minimum 202 bhp/tonne. Whereas mine is about 160-162/tonne

Clio 172 Cup
That looks s**t. Proper grandads colour too. That said, it's the perfect sleeper.

Haha Lee, it's the Ryan guy who commented on my Facebook status about iphone chargers. Picking it up on Sunday.

"Gay gold" as he puts it

I posted this thread to him so feel free to insult!

Oooh it's him! it's not a sleeper any more, because no right minded youngster/young adult would 'roll' in a lolvo. He's too baby faced to pull it off, and that's coming from me, who acts 12> looks 12> is actually 25.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Start with 10 gallons of fuel each and tape up the fuel filler, see who can get somewhere 300 miles away the fastest.

Then he will appreciate what an epic allrounder the clio is with its great blend of performance and economy.

Big cars with turbos are fast, but they are very dear to run, especially on trackdays where their weight destroys expensive tyres etc.

Clio 172 Cup
Definitely be interesting to see, I was in a stripped out 2L 300bhp golf mk2 on Sunday which felt fast because of the amount of wheelspin and speed, but this has a hell of a lot more torque

This will be interesting.

I've recently bought an 850 T5 and it's laughably quick. I've done around 400 miles in it and yet to get over 17mpg. The fact the lambda light is on and there's probably a fault somewhere won't be helping.

Hoping to take it to Combe in a couple of weeks so look out.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
This will be interesting.

I've recently bought an 850 T5 and it's laughably quick. I've done around 400 miles in it and yet to get over 17mpg. The fact the lambda light is on and there's probably a fault somewhere won't be helping.

Hoping to take it to Combe in a couple of weeks so look out.

I'm easily seeing 25+mpg out of my S40 so I'd say you have something wrong! lol

a friend of mine has a v70 t5 estate running 350bhp,proper suspension,brakes,exhaust,wheels/tyres etc etc etc.....it's a f**king rocket of a car.

One of the quickest things i have been in/driven and it's automatic!!!!

Been tuned by a place up near birmingham,think they are called KLM or something similar?.

as for your friends one don't even bother trying to keep up,he will just laugh as you disappear in his mirrors...unless he can't drive then you MIGHT have a chance lol.

Also would have steered away from the "R" version...good luck when he starts having gearbox problems;)

clio 182 trophy
On a nice B road he wouldn't have a chance. Coilovers or not, not a sniff against the clio. Would be in the hedge with some of the roads we went down on Sunday. As everyone else has mentioned though no chance in a straight line.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
If you want to waft by in comfort and have silly power at your disposal. Volvo.

if you want something chuckable on a good B road, Clio.

i had this dilemma recently over whether or not to get an s4 instead of the Clio. I enjoy the Clio on B roads more than flinging down a motorway in comfort though

clio 182 trophy
If you want to waft by in comfort and have silly power at your disposal. Volvo.

if you want something chuckable on a good B road, Clio.

i had this dilemma recently over whether or not to get an s4 instead of the Clio. I enjoy the Clio on B roads more than flinging down a motorway in comfort though

This is going to be my problem when it comes to buying my next car. Want something a lot quicker in a straight line but love the trophy on the back roads. I was thinking 335i but they wont handle half as well.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
This is going to be my problem when it comes to buying my next car. Want something a lot quicker in a straight line but love the trophy on the back roads. I was thinking 335i but they wont handle half as well.

I really, really want a v8. And Audi avants are awesome but I get no joy whatsoever from planting my foot on a straight road

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Bends, that is it. A straight line it would embarrass a Clio. Mine for example hands down is far quicker off the mark than any Clio or previous car I've owned. All about driver ability or should I say disregard for public safety on the road. The Clio is a great car and should be appreciated for what it is.

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
I know the volvo in question, helped fit the milltek to it and been for a blast around castle combe in it as well. Very capable car & surprisingly good fun to drive, I'm actually on the lookout for the saloon version of it, S70R, as my boring/fun daily hack but for the balls out uncompromised trackday fun I'll always stick with the clio

clio 182 trophy
I really, really want a v8. And Audi avants are awesome but I get no joy whatsoever from planting my foot on a straight road

Why do you want a v8 then? Most are only good for going straight. I love the feeling of a silly powerful car. Having a balance of both is where it is at. Cars like that cost serious dollar though so.lol. M3 CSL is a perfect car for me tbh. Yours RS4?

Clio 172
My brother in law had one when I had the Williams In a straight line I would lose big style he would just waft past me then on to silly speeds while I was bouncing valves out the bonnet.
But when it came to a roundabout or a really tight road it was a lot more even.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Why do you want a v8 then? Most are only good for going straight. I love the feeling of a silly powerful car. Having a balance of both is where it is at. Cars like that cost serious dollar though so.lol. M3 CSL is a perfect car for me tbh. Yours RS4?

Purely for the noise. Partly for being able to chuck the dog in the back.

ive not driven enough cars to have an educated decision, but on paper, an m3 also. Comfortable when you want but capable in the corners.