ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CLIO IV RS - Trophy from page 111

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
PCP Deal for the 200t

http://offers.renault.co.uk/cars/cliorenaultsport

At the end of December sales/orders of the 200T crossed the 5000 mark (they are built to order unlike the standard model). So despite what the experts on here think they are selling for Renault presumably in the numbers they are happy with, so why would Renault care what the internet gurus in the UK think.
You should hopefully see more ST's on the road as Ford Stocked their Dealers with plenty before they launched them a good six months (could be wrong) before the 200T was on the road and it is £2K cheaper and they had their PCP deals already sorted. Renault being French tend to do things arse about face which is their way.
You can say the Montune kit for the ST makes it quicker than the Clio for £500, a very nice addition but on a standing start comes in to its own after 60mph after keeping head to head with the Clio, if you've seen the Chris Harris vid, where it then leaves the Clio behind and out of breath.
Now if the figures from Superchips are to be believed for £400 you can up the power and torque on the Clio so it may tip the balance back in the power and torque stakes if that's all you're bothered about.

The Clio is a quick car and handles very well - so before you post any more drivel about how Renault have lost it, drive one then you can moan about the gear box as that does take a little longer to get the feel and how to use it properly.

I would argue that they should care what the UK market thinks, simply because it has historically been a large market for their cars. I have no issue with it. I'm sure it's great, but it's very difficult to convincingly argue in favour of the launch handling in the UK. They may well not give a s**t about the UK market, but surely that only serves to justify the dislike on these shores?

Renault Clio RS 200T
I would argue that they should care what the UK market thinks, simply because it has historically been a large market for their cars. I have no issue with it. I'm sure it's great, but it's very difficult to convincingly argue in favour of the launch handling in the UK. They may well not give a s**t about the UK market, but surely that only serves to justify the dislike on these shores?
Actually Steve wrote, "why would Renault care what the internet gurus in the UK think" I believe they do care what the UK market thinks. Us Brits seem to struggle with accepting change, it's of course a matter of debate whether it's a change for the better or worse. But people who only use disguised (and not that well) four letter words as their only input, can't and shouldn't be taken any notice of.
I like the previous 200, there is one in my area which has on more than one occasion suffered problems with the gearbox. All pervious RS Clio's which undoubtably are a damn good quick fun car to drive don't cut it for me because I needed something with a boot larger than a kiddies purse and easier access than two doors offered, now as a second car that's a different matter but my budgets at the time
wouldn't allow that. However the 200T gives me bigger boot easier access to the rear due to rear doors, it's fun and quick when required so I don't need it as a second car. PCP did not affect me, with deposit from my previous car I paid the rest in cash so it's all mine.

Renault Clio RS 200T
A few of my mates on Facebook (one of them a photographer, all of them Renault enthusiasts) didn't even know the RS was out, or that it was 5 door only. It's been nearly a year Ffs
Funny that! I knew early last year, there was a large article in Auto Express. Just shows, Facebook isn't the B all of what's going on in the world.

Renault Clio RS 200T
Yes, but what does all that have to do with Renault making a complete pig's ear of the UK launch?

Well I read about it in Auto Express, spoke to my Dealer ordered it in May received it the Last few days of June. So I'm not really aware
of any pigs ear Launch. I do know that the cup version had a long waiting list.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Funny that! I knew early last year, there was a large article in Auto Express. Just shows, Facebook isn't the B all of what's going on in the world.

lol just because i seen it on facebook doesnt mean the real life people posting on the other end of it didnt know. jesus accept its been utterly s**t in the uk and stop defending the brand because you like the car

Renault Clio RS 200T
so you don't agree that there is going to be a massive demise of the RS brand?

the Clio 200 was the best car in its class by a long LONG mile!, nothing came close, the reviews raved about it, the cheap PCP deals sold it.

This time round the reviewers seem to mostly dislike it, the fiesta ST is the new king, its cheaper, its quicker, the sales figures and reviews tell you everything.
I agree the 200 is a good car, however not everyone agree with us on that.
I looked over a Fiesta ST, King or not I didn't like it. I wouldn't rubbish it because it's not for me, but I certainly don't think it's the best thing since sliced bread just because all the Brit Auto mags think it is.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
very few people who actually own a 200 EDC next to none of them are previous renaultsport drivers, they are as has been mentioned above in a few posts "it has a bigger boot", "its good on fuel", "its refined around town" they are people who are looking for an alternitave to a golf GTI.

RenaultSport turned there back on all the loyal fans from the minute the roumours started about the gearbox going back long before the launch the reaction was terrible, the amount of people on here that have had everything from a ph1 172 to a 200 cup and now are driving fiestas.

and I hope they re consider and offer a manual at a later date but I think even then it may be too late

Renault Clio RS 200T
lol just because i seen it on facebook doesnt mean the real life people posting on the other end of it didnt know. jesus accept its been utterly s**t in the uk and stop defending the brand because you like the car
OK Jaff, it a complete piece of rubbish. Horrible to drive slow as a snail dammed ugly, oh! And will never sell. come Renault what were you thinking? I want my money back immediately, what was I thinking defending your car because I like it? Guess I should have realised that you only defend and praise something you don't like!!!! :quiet:

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
OK Jaff, it a complete piece of rubbish. Horrible to drive slow as a snail dammed ugly, oh! And will never sell. come Renault what were you thinking? I want my money back immediately, what was I thinking defending your car because I like it? Guess I should have realised that you only defend and praise something you don't like!!!! :quiet:

lol you completley missed my point, confirming the fact thet your more interested in defending the car because you have one than opening your eyes and seeing what has actually happened

you are right though. it is damned ugly!

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
very few people who actually own a 200 EDC next to none of them are previous renaultsport drivers, they are as has been mentioned above in a few posts "it has a bigger boot", "its good on fuel", "its refined around town" they are people who are looking for an alternitave to a golf GTI.

RenaultSport turned there back on all the loyal fans from the minute the roumours started about the gearbox going back long before the launch the reaction was terrible, the amount of people on here that have had everything from a ph1 172 to a 200 cup and now are driving fiestas.

and I hope they re consider and offer a manual at a later date but I think even then it may be too late

This forum is so blinkered - believe it or not, not everyone who owns a renault sport is on this forum or any forum. Perhaps they have bigger minerals and don't feel the need to seek their peers approval. I seen the pictures of the 200t back in October 2012 when the spy shots of the black one were released and thought yes please and I admit the thought of it just being an auto did throw a spanner in the works but it wasn't the end of the world so I ordered one in April the following year then when mine was delayed I then had a go in a demo car in July just so I could make my own mind up and either cancel the order and buy the unregistered 200 on the forecourt for £18k the interior of which I think is bland or stick which the new one. Well I believe I made the right choice and haven't got any complaints with the car although the R-Link is a separate issue.
I like the interior and styling on the 200t which is one reason why I bought one it's a nice place to be and the fact it does have five doors got the approval of the mrs otherwise i would have bought the focus ST. VW's are bland in their exterior styling IMO so wouldn't even look at them not saying they are bad they just do nothing for me.
It's the so called loyal fans who have turned their back on renault as RS clio numbers have dropped since they brought in the 197.
People cried out for an RS version of the Twingo, Renault duly obliged and the numbers didn't match to those crying out for it to the numbers sold - so it was dropped.
As for the gearbox as soon as the words auto were mentioned the so called internet gurus slated it before they knew the full ins and outs of it and not wanting to lose face have stuck to their opinion slating something they know nothing about, only a few have actually tried it, some changed their opinion not their minds, while the rest of the internet sheep followed blindly.
The car is not perfect, I think the steering wheel is too small and the lack of xenons is a step backwards, but it handles great on the cup chassis and the turn of speed is impressive and leaves the 182 for dust.
I have not knocked the 197/200 in any way just that the interior styling was not for me so I have passed on those models. They have not been without their own issues as other owners have frequently complained about them.
The point being after all this waffling is until you've tried it don't knock it for something you know nothing about. If it's the styling that puts you off then fare enough you don't need to drive the car for that.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I think they look great, I was going to buy one, I was ready to buy one, yet despite the order books being formally open my local dealer did not want to know (even after an intervention from Jeremy Townsend)...hence the ST. Option prices announced at launch turned out to be pure fiction. The spec I wanted would have taken months and months and months to be built (as poor Steve found out!).

The only one I've seen so far was on a static display at Goodwood. 2 further registrations of interest with the promise of calls from other dealers when a test drive would be available have so far generated nothing.

It may be getting a hard time, but that's hardly surprising considering the farce that was Renault's launch of a car clearly not ready to be launched yet. Throw in a few unknowns for people (auto 'box, 5-doors, and fancy dampers that change the complete character of the RS Clio) and sadly it's been doomed to fail from the outset.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
The sad thing is that when I drove it, apart from me not understanding the gearbox properly /r****d, and the steering wheel being too thick, I felt it was a really really good car to drive at the limit.

The chassis felt brilliant, I even got a bit of oversteer. The car felt really good, its a shame more people haven't driven them before stating their opinions.

I still really want one, lowered and mapped it would be perfect. I just can't get past the none available to test drive and renault dealers attitudes, knowledge and 'assistance'.

Suzuki Jimny
I just can't get past the none available to test drive and renault dealers attitudes, knowledge and 'assistance'.

Also found this.

The several times i've enquired about a test drive, i've just been told it's stupidly fast, and 'so much faster than the 200'. Think they want me to order one just on that opinion!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Also found this.

The several times i've enquired about a test drive, i've just been told it's stupidly fast, and 'so much faster than the 200'. Think they want me to order one just on that opinion!

Wait outside Renault for one to go on a test drive, gun past it in your 200, ring them and say 'so much faster? Pal?' Then wheelspin off into the sunset going 'yeeeeeaaaaahhhhh!'

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
I think they look great prob a little nicer than the ST and would prefer the auto box, its much more suited to guys in there 30's (me) than there 20's like the ST. Which probably a smaller market as your meant to grow out of hot hatches ...

thats exactly it^^^
the old 200 was never seen at our place in terms of company cars.the new 200t has come in and all the bosses are waiting to swap their cars for them, most of them are 50 plus with no desire to drive quickly just use auto mode!

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Perhaps Renaultsport could do a track day for Cliosport members, when its not raining, so we could all have a good go in one, as you are hardly going to drive a car fast on a dealer test drive. I will wait and see what the promised cup/gordini looks like but it will have to be good to make Suzanne part with her racy blue 197 she loves it. We both wanted the new car to make us feel like the Smurf but it fell well short and why you would need a screen etc in an RS model is beyond me. We dont want a boring BMW or a gadget laden Fiesta ST wake up Renaultsport. :race:

clio 182 trophy
I posted on cliotrophy before it came out about the box and have mentioned it on here. It is not about how good or bad the box is. I couldn't give a s*** if it was one of the best going, I just do not wan't one. It is simple. This is where they went wrong. If both options were given and a bit more pace and styling then maybe, but paddle shift and 5 door only, no thanks. Another reason is that they haven't raised the bar of performance, hence me keeping my Trophy.

Renault Clio RS 200T
lol you completley missed my point, confirming the fact thet your more interested in defending the car because you have one than opening your eyes and seeing what has actually happened

you are right though. it is damned ugly!
:D Actually ( here I go again) I think the rear end is quite attractive. :p I like the front as well, but can see that it won't be everyone's cup of tea. Think the diamond has been taken from a lorry parts stock.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
:D Actually ( here I go again) I think the rear end is quite attractive. :p I like the front as well, but can see that it won't be everyone's cup of tea. Think the diamond has been taken from a lorry parts stock.

Agree the rear of the car is the best looking part of it

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I posted on cliotrophy before it came out about the box and have mentioned it on here. It is not about how good or bad the box is. I couldn't give a s*** if it was one of the best going, I just do not wan't one. It is simple. This is where they went wrong. If both options were given and a bit more pace and styling then maybe, but paddle shift and 5 door only, no thanks. Another reason is that they haven't raised the bar of performance, hence me keeping my Trophy.

spot on, regardless of how good or bad the box is its just not an option I would ever have wanted, not a problem with the likes of the golf GTI where you can choose!