ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CLIO IV RS - Trophy from page 111

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Too true.

I actually saw my first one out on the road today, it looked good but I think it's too small a car for me these days.

Renault Clio MK3
true. but hes after a clio which is 5k less... if he wanted a 265... your point would be valid....it therefore isnt..

I thought he was saying why buy a clio when a meg 265 is only 5k more?
You can keep going up 5k on any car and get something different IMO.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
this seems to have gone quiet! no sign of any uk special edition models? gearbox software updates? manual boxes? more power?

just lying back and letting the fiesta st out sell it by the bucket load!

baysthebest

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172/172Cup/182
I believe there is a more powerful model coming out but won't be for the UK market as it is so small and increasing power a bit won't drastically alter sales. It will still be 5 doors and still have an EDC box which are most peoples gripes.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I don't mind the 5 doors, or the turbo engine or the gearbox as long as they work as they should and the gearbox is killing it for me! if they do some sort of software update to improve it which will come id imagine then id have one!

The non existent deals are also a joke.

The first time I have been able to buy a brand new car and I've gone for the Fiesta.

Not because it's a fundamentally better car, but VFM it was a no-brainer!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I'm about to trade my Leon in for an st-3, can't wait! Didn't even consider the Clio. And while looking up reviews very little has been said about the Clio.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Clio 200T is DOA imo... just hope they learn from it and makes changes next generation, would be a tragedy if they gave up on the Clio Renaultsport altogether :(

200 EDC LUX + CUP
We paid 18.2k for a LUX + CUP in Mercury Silver which was just shy of 3k less than the OTR price they currently retail for. The ST is cheaper but when spec it up to the LUX is not as cheap, imo, the interior is not as nice, exterior not as nice and it's not as quick. The Clio also sounds beaut when you toe it in RS mode compared to the ST that didn't sound sporty at all.

We test drove the RS, ST and the 208 GTi and found the ST the less desirable but, as always, it's horses for courses isn't it. We regretted selling our RS250 last year because the driving experience in a RS is like no other. Yeah, the EDC box is a little tricky in the beginning but it's pretty nice not having to change gear, plus, the launch control is awesome.

I'd point people towards the GTi if it comes down to price, it drives very very well and sounds nice when you toe it!!

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
I never understand why manufacturers change a winning formula? If it ain't broke, DON'T FIX IT!!!!

People complain when they do that as well though. Look at VAG. Evolutionary as opposed to revolutionary designs. They sell like hot cakes and people still complain about it. There's no winning.

baysthebest

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172/172Cup/182
so the reason the ford fiesta st is outselling the clio is purely because ford have a bigger market share?

not because they are offering the customers what they want? at a good price? with the prospect of better residuals?

No, but it will be a factor. the Ford is what people want right now and because they are heavily discounting the cars on contract hire this makes them more attractive. If Renault offered stupily discounted prices to fleet companies then I am sure they would sell a lot more. under £200pm with low deposits are affordable for most

We paid 18.2k for a LUX + CUP in Mercury Silver which was just shy of 3k less than the OTR price they currently retail for. The ST is cheaper but when spec it up to the LUX is not as cheap, imo, the interior is not as nice, exterior not as nice and it's not as quick. The Clio also sounds beaut when you toe it in RS mode compared to the ST that didn't sound sporty at all.

We test drove the RS, ST and the 208 GTi and found the ST the less desirable but, as always, it's horses for courses isn't it. We regretted selling our RS250 last year because the driving experience in a RS is like no other. Yeah, the EDC box is a little tricky in the beginning but it's pretty nice not having to change gear, plus, the launch control is awesome.

I'd point people towards the GTi if it comes down to price, it drives very very well and sounds nice when you toe it!!

The clio is slower when you consider you can Mountune the fiesta and still keep it under the price of the clio.
Imo the fiesta is the better car so much so I bought one. Not finance or leased bought.
I prefer the interior in general and especially the seats on the fiesta, looks wise I dont think the fiesta is good looking but its better than the monsters Renault and pug came up with.
Don't know what the fords reliability will be like but it cant be worse than what my clio was. My three previous cars gti6, saxo vts, 1992 astra were all way more reliable than my Clio turned out to be and if they went wrong they were much cheaper to fix.

Fabia VRS & Yeti
I saw my first one on the road yesterday morning, I was one car behind it in a queue, I thought it was just another normal mkIV then I saw the exhausts and badge. Looked just like a normal mkIV too.
I passed it in another lane and the middle aged grey haired gentleman driving it was indifferent to my obvious interest as I passed (in slow moving traffic).

The end.

Lotus Exige, 182
I had a brief go in the colchester demo today and I actually thought it was a pretty good car. It actually would suit me quite well as I am in the market for a 5dr hot hatch. I didn't mind the fact it looks pretty similar to a 1.2, it went well, handled nicely and was easy to drive quickly. There are, though 3 issues which put me off, and the fact that I am certain renault are working on 2 of them doubly puts me off as I'm sure they will be fixed in a year or so (as with the 197/200 changes):

1. No recaro seats - imagine these will be available within year or so.
2. Gearbox, while better once you get used to it is too slow and unresponsive. It really needs to fire through up shifts and the engine needs to blip faster on downshifts. I think this is a software problem and will be fixed when renault are happy it won't impact warranty claims. It just takes too long to have a think once you request a gear.
3. The finance deal - a c200pm monthly payment, which I could do, requires a 4 year term and a big deposit (even more than They were willing to value my 182 at).

Brembo brakes would be good too...

They would love to be selling these cars more, but the guy to took me out acknowledged that the ford finance deals, coupled with the negative sounding reviews compared to the fiesta st, mean that they just aren't getting numbers through the door to try them in the first place. I went in looking for a 3yr old 200, which I'm still in the market for (golf gti in competition and the 5dr is a big plus there) and when asked why I wasn't interested in the new one, listed half a dozen reasons off the top of my head. But he offered me a drive of the new one anyway and, like I say, it's a much better car than I thought. He's even offered me a day long loan if I wish and I might take it up. The demo was fully spec'd with leather, monitor, cup chassis etc and it was a really nice place to be and rode the awful local roads well even with the cup chassis. But the bottom line is that at c3.5k down, then 200pm for 4 years (more like 250 with a decent spc) and a 6k balloon, even with the dealer incentives, it's just a bit too dear for me particularly when I have concerns that renault will resolve the issues above in the next couple of years.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
we had placed an order on a fiesta ST and had to cancel it as my mrs pranged the car we were ment to be trading in, its all sorted out now but the ST has got far to common (for good reason of course) and around here is driven by plonkers going flat out everywhere so not going to re order one.

I would buy one of these clios for her if they were doing good deals as the auto box would actually suit her quite well and they look alright its just the bloddy cost of them!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I've still only ever seen a Clio 4 RS on the static Renault stand at the Festival of Speed...that's it.

Quite a few STs have passed me by now though...unsurprising considering the sales numbers!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
The wheels are shat, it seems to look like a normal 208 imo, subtle though. And the interior seats, and steering wheel position isn't a patch on the Fiesta imo.