ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CLIO IV RS - Trophy from page 111

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I still havent seen a single 200 EDC and i live near a Renault main dealer lol.

Fiesta ST's are everywhere, as are M135is.

Judging by the number of them at the recent PH SS, they are the current hot hatch of choice, but hey, we all knew that ;)

So basically, it's gearbox is turd, it struggles with traction and it beeps at you!

It's looking more like a total lemon with each review.

Renault would have done better just putting a manual 1.6T into the Mk3 RS.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Renault would have done better just putting a manual 1.6T into the Mk3 RS.

This!! the development cost for that shell etc was already done so they should have continued it as a standalone model, put the new corporate front end on it if they must and the 1.6t for the emissions reasons and it would have been a cracker!

I'm not sure how the RenaultSport division have managed to drop the ball so much...

It's not even just one thing wrong with it, it's a whole host of things!

To quote Nigel Tufnel, "they sharnt recover from this".

Renault Clio 182 BG
Still yet to see one of these, infact i only think ive seen about 5 new Clio's in total.

There was a quote from Evo magazine (hot hatch special) where they said Renault are rethinking putting a manual box in..isnt that a bit late?! I'll see if i can dig it out

This!! the development cost for that shell etc was already done so they should have continued it as a standalone model, put the new corporate front end on it if they must and the 1.6t for the emissions reasons and it would have been a cracker!

That's not possible. Move the entire BIW manufacturing operation to a new facility in order to build a handful of bodies per year for Renaultsport? They'd probably lose about €200m on day one.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
That's not possible. Move the entire BIW manufacturing operation to a new facility in order to build a handful of bodies per year for Renaultsport? They'd probably lose about €200m on day one.

it didn't stop them doing it with the mk2 for other markets, its got the new mk4 front end on it and is still being sold

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
It would set a quicker lap time. It's also more powerful and 5k more expensive.

Saw one for the first time yesterday, just looks like a normal mk4 imo, could tell it apart by the rear diffuser. I wonder what the sales figures are like? i remember when the 182 came out and i was seeing them everywhere.

Clio 182 FF
Saw one for the first time yesterday, just looks like a normal mk4 imo, could tell it apart by the rear diffuser. I wonder what the sales figures are like? i remember when the 182 came out and i was seeing them everywhere.

I've just done a bit of googling... official UK sales figures I've found on the RenaultSport website are:

172 Phase 1 (1,357) + 172 Phase 2 (3,059) + 172 Cup (2,392) = 6,808
182 (5,222) + 182 Cup (539) + 182 Trophy (500) = 6,261
197 (2,595) + 197 F1 Team (500) + 197 Cup (432) = 3,527
200 (2,099) + 200 Cup (429) + 200 Silverstone GP (50) + 200 Raider (28) = 2,606

Those official figures from RenaultSport match up with the DVLA figures, expect that now there's some being SORN or completely disappearing from the road.

There's no figures from Renault yet on the 200 Turbo, but looking up with the DVLA for their figures at the end of 2013...
200 Turbo (26) + 200 Turbo Lux (242) = 268.

Ouch.

Looking at those sales figures, you can kind see why Renault dont seem to bothered about the 'RS' models.

Tiny sales figures, and they are very much on a downwards-trent for all models.

Could see them vanish altogether in the near future.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
They really need to bite the bullet and admit a manual box is what they need. Sharpish.

Slow sales of the new Clio IV 200 are only a problem if they are lower than planned. If that's the case, then I imagine there's a weakening argument for producing RHD cars. However, if they're selling as expected, and making a profit, then there's no reason for them not to continue building them. If it does prove to be a sales disaster, I would think the top people in Renault would take some convincing to make another Clio Renaultsport. Certainly for RHD markets.

Only my opinion of course. I don't pretend to know the finances of Renault. I'm sure people will scoff at this notion, but never say never. Money talks, and if they aren't making enough cash from it then the Clio Renaultsport's days may well be numbered. They took a big gamble in alienating their core buyers, in the hope that they would attract new ones. From the outside, that gamble doesn't appear to be paying off.

Clio 200T
I got rid of my FF 200 Cup for one 5 weeks ago. Mainly because I didn't like commuting in the 200.

Tbh I'm still not keen on the front end but it drives really nice. Took it round Nurburgring 4 times six days after I bought it which was fun, bit of brake fade but other than that it was good.

I like the auto box, although I have been in contact with a few companies regarding gearbox mapping (similar to the DSG maps). Just needs to be a little bit more responsive IMO.

Clio 200T
ydy7ume8.jpg

Clio 200T
Has anyone bothered tuning these yet?

Yup, fair few people tbh. A lad in France' car ran 240 after a map from standard.

Shame there's no decent induction kits out for it yet... will be buying the Scorpion system for it in the next few days as a release group buy thing.

I'm planning to keep mine 4ish years so will see how it ends after that time. I'm not keen on standard cars so won't be long before some major changes. :)

Clio 200T
Yup, fair few people tbh. A lad in France' car ran 240 after a map from standard.

Shame there's no decent induction kits out for it yet... will be buying the Scorpion system for it in the next few days as a release group buy thing.

I'm planning to keep mine 4ish years so will see how it ends after that time. I'm not keen on standard cars so won't be long before some major changes. :)

After having £75k of cars over the 4 years I've been driving it's getting a bit silly now so will keep this for a bit.

Clio 200T
Not a truer word spoken.

Also agree with this, not many old 200 owners going over.. A few but I'm sure no where near as many as they would have hoped for.

You have to want something a bit more subtle/refined to want a T. It's far from an out and out raw hot hatch like the 182's or 200's etc.