ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CLIO IV RS - Trophy from page 111

Surely the power isn't the issue in the Clio?

Please remember manufacturers restrict cars for their own gain. My ST was 150bhp from factory, bare in mind it's a 2.0 petrol, ford could have gone for 200bhp without trying.

It's not always a component issue.

Not sure but 200 bph from a 1.6l engine doesn't sound too cut down on power. Also, the gearbox can be a problem and AFAIK nobody is really sure how reliable the Clio's box will be when it transfers more than 240Nm of torque.

SQ5
From a rolling start the Clio kept pulling?

Also the VTS sounds modified, can easily get 150-160 which takes the bhp/tonne well above the 200T

RB 182 cup
The saxo VTS are quick though, most people who don't just stereotype them as a chavs car know that so its not to fair to criticise the clio for being on pace with one, it weighs twice as much nearly. You can hear its got a standard rev limit as cammed they map them to rev much higher. It just has an exhaust system i assume.

I don't like the look of the new clio tbh, but don't doubt its a good car.
For me they have lost the plot slightly.

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Nissan are launching a duke nismo RS next year which has recaros and 215 bhp, this is the same engine as in the new clio rs so i expect a similar clio rs is on the way:) perhaps a williams or throphy.
nissan_juke_nismo_rs_2_zpsc92f2b57.jpg

Lotus Elise
Nissan are launching a duke nismo RS next year which has recaros and 215 bhp, this is the same engine as in the new clio rs so i expect a similar clio rs is on the way:) perhaps a williams or throphy.
nissan_juke_nismo_rs_2_zpsc92f2b57.jpg

We have a couple in work at the moment.

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
There's always someone in their council modified Saxo they bought for £300 going to try and outrun a standard RS. Just looking for bragging rights down tesco carpark over a 3 litre bottle of tesco own brand cider. Crack on

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
So not true

It actually is true, a healthy standard jp4 16v engine in the VTS/GTi will happily stick to the back of any standard 1*2 all day. Unlike the Clio's the 16v unit tend to make their quoted power.

My old GTi made 133bhp and our old VTS made 141bhp. Both standard.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I've been in very quick saxos and I really believe they would be able to keep up with a standard clio.

I was in a modified vtr that kept up with* a range rover sport(iirc) that was surprising.

*saxo went to overtake! then the rr pulled out too. RR may not have been nailing it, but the saxo kept up very well to 80/90 lol

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
lol at the people with their heads in the sand! Green VTS made 130bhp+, silver one over 145bhp IIRC. @Sir_Dave / @Budgie / @Nick172Cup can all vouch that in a straight line they are comparable, you may have to rag the hell out of them but they are not slow cars.

Yup, my Vts quite happily stuck to the bumper of Ollie's stripped out 172 Cup to to 3 figures, then at Llandow it quite happily overtook many a 1*2. Ignore them at your peril lol.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
there was a guy around this way back in 2005 when I had my first 172 had a standard looking vts, slightly lower with a set of R888's or something similar on it, straight line I was just creeping closer to him but round the bends in my at that time standard 172 running factory conti tyres he was leaving me! as a wounded 17yr old I convinced myself it must be turbo'ed lol!!

Clio 172 Cup Mondial
well i have honestly raced one and pulled away in second and third gear quite heavily! maybe his engine was fucked? when you ask someone who had driven both they say the 182 feels quicker

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
same way diesels always feel quicker than they are! fabia VRS always felt 172 pace until you got them side by side and the 172 destroyed it!

on the subject of the 200t however, im loving how much it fails, karma to they clowns at Renault who caused my headache with my shed of a 200!! just shows you build a car that wows the motoring press/enthusiasts, people will buy it regardless of how crap your dealer network is, yet build something that's not so good and try and get your crap dealers to sell it and here is what happens!

I tried to get a test drive in one and the dealer made me feel like I should earn it by first handing him list price and then second noshing him off.

Ford bent over back words and were close to offering to nosh me off to take one a test drive!

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I was just thinking the same thing - haven't seen any new threads of people showing off their new purchase!

There's been 2 or 3, including one guy who managed to get LY for the equivalent (he's foreign) of £400. Over here it's a £2k option. Either Renault is desperate, or more likely, doesn't care.

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
There's been 2 or 3, including one guy who managed to get LY for the equivalent (he's foreign) of £400. Over here it's a £2k option. Either Renault is desperate, or more likely, doesn't care.

Liquid Yellow is £1300 extra not £2000. It is still expensive though, when its $750 in Australia possibly another classic case of Rip off Britain.
Not everyone who has bought one is on Cliosport.net. It's not the Law that if you own a Clio you must be on a forum, some people don't seek their peers approval for the car they've bought. Renault have built over 5000 of them to order so they are selling - there are a few people on here with them - still waiting on mine after 8 months. I admit I could have had it this Friday but for my own nit picking reasons I've now put it off until January now so that it's registered as 2014 on the V5 (private plate so that doesn't matter)and I actually get 12 months Tax rather than 11 months and 10 days (or VED if you're picky) tight I know seeing as 12 months tax is only £160 maybe £140 can't remember off the top of my head and any MOT repairs in three years time will be easier on the pocket rather just before Christmas.
So hopefully should have some pics up of the old and the new sometime in January..........:clap:

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I couldn't remember the exact figure lol. Just knew it was a lot more.

I could understand it if Renault were marketing it to a wider audience, but they don't seem to be marketing it at all. If you want one, you have to do all the running around.

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
It is being marketed to a wider audience Europe, Australia and the Far East. The UK is no longer buying RS Clio's in the same numbers as they did in the days of the 182 which was why the UK got the biggest slice of the trophy cars built (50% I believe) and since the 197 it has almost halved in numbers bought.
the rest of the worlds motoring press seem to like it, it would appear the UK press is hung up about the gear box. Lets see what the phase two brings no doubt in a few years.
Apparently (according to the info my dealer/broker got back when I was chasing up delivery on mine) there are 279 ordered for the UK so far small numbers compared to the more common ST but they are out there........... somewhere.

Apparently Australia is the second biggest Renault Sport market outside of France which surprised me. (at least for 265's anyway).

They are pushing pretty hard here. Maybe had something to do with Webber and now Ricciardo as homegrown heroes driving for Renault in F1. They certainly get a lot of press and with the local car industry going belly up over the last few weeks, Ford and Holden will be selling less big V8's based off our Touring Cars. (Probably no more Vauxhall VXR's for you guys either.)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
279? I'm going to say 279 people haven't order the 200T. There will be plenty lying about dealers for a while.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Yup, who wouldn't want one of those to run around in for cheap monthly.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Saw a modded white 200T at brands on the weekend, certainly went well & the chap had lowered it on coilovers by the looks which really transformed the car.

Shame the gearbox is so hordendous :(