ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio mk1 1.4 8v - Won't start after rain

Albi 197
Hi guys, My grandma has a 1997 (facelift) Clio 1.4 8v (E7F) Automatic,

The problem is, It will not start after rain or even in damp weather, Had a look at it today and it doesnt look like the sunroof's leaking onto the electric unit thats near it (heard this could be the cause). Going to change spark plugs and ignition leads tomorrow.

The wierd thing is, that sometimes it will fire up straight away, but cut out after she's reversed out of her parking spot. I took it for a drive today and gave it the beans to try clearing it out, as lets face it, my grandma doesn't rev the ass of it. But i got it home, gave it a wash and again, it wouldnt start.

Just wondering if theres anything else I can try tomorrow while I have the day off work?

Thanks in advance.

clio 1.4RT
i have a 98 version and i would change the tdc sensor for starters, and if that doesnt do it then id go for the coolent sensor. Id also look at dizzy cap and rotor depending when they were last changes followed up by a good service (plugs filters oil)

Let us know how it goes

Albi 197
Hi, Today I changed sparks and ignition leads, both seemed like they were ready for changing. but I left engine running while i was trying to figure out what the problem is.

As soon as i got a drop of water on the bit highlighted in the pic below, it cut out and wouldn't restart.

DSC03234V.jpg

I removed the plugs from it, cleaned and WD40'd them and put an old butter tub over it. And it started first time. Lets see how long it lasts :)

clio 1.4RT
Thats the coil pack mate!

there is usually no cover for these that i know if so im guessing yours is getting water on it somehow when its raining.

Prob be on the safe side to renew the dizzy cap and rotor as this is directly related to the coil pack.

Clio Rsi 1.8
I had the same problem with my Rsi! If by now your car sometimes crancks but it doesn´t start or starts but it runs poorly, you might want to check the Cranckshaft Sensor! Clean it with WD-40 and reconect it! I did it in my car and it worked! Good luck!

Last edited: