ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Modifying - if you could start over where would you go....

If it was me and I was keeping it I would change the exhaust to stainless (as it would have probably rotted away). Panel filter (so it can be cleaned once a year and not thrown away).

I would spend the rest on handling.

So I would uprate suspension, springs, bushes (especially the dog mount - what a change btw) and move down to 15's for road use (16's with tyres painted on them are far than ideal) and buy some decent rubber and possibly fresh breaks if they are low/need replacing with lines.

I have 172 cup shocks and cooksports on mine and it is early days but working a treat. I have also got front and rear strut bars (unsure on how these or if they are helping - might be a bit "overkill")

I haven't done any stripping/seats etc as I haven't traked her yet but will look for weight loss a bit further down the line and seats should I feel obliged. The cooksports and shocks seem ok for a blast in the country and would recommend them over budget coilovers any day of the week!

I wouldn't bother with anything else as unless you have big money (ITB's, turbo's, cam's) then there is no point in my opinion.

Incidentally, this is what I am doing to my Bean Beast.

clio 182
Done all the other stuff to it brakes suspension back sits out exhaust so now for the turbo and 6 speedbox booked in at andys .that should give the ps3 a hiding lol

One thing I spotted from the OP which I wouldn't do.
Turnini's with fast road/track tyres..

I'd personally look for a set of 15" wheels, F1's or Team Dy. 1.2's. - Rubber is considerably cheaper. I've not long ago managed to pick up some R888s for £67 per corner. Speaking to a friend of mine, that's cheaper than he can get them being sponsored by Toyo.
They're usually around the £100 mark per corner, and about £125-130 for 16", So there's a good save - I personally like the feel/nimbleness of 15's over 16 as well. This is mine with 15's on.
IMG_9305_zpsrroeycnn.jpg

BG 182
I'd keep mine standard, bar maybe a decat, 30mm drop, 98ron map, turinis and full stainless system. As these cars get older and older, theres nothing quite like owning a mint example and turning heads in it.

I've owned cars on a budget too, its great to be able to spend what I need on my car now.

But then again I'm closer to 30 than my teens.

Clio 172 cup
Doing it all over again... All of what you've said minus engine/gearbox mounts. Just pollybush the dog bone mount for crisper gear changes but make sure OE mounts engine/gearbox are good.
I still think the best mod for the Clio was fitting a diff!!
Track pads when doing trackdays.
Throw in some uprated cams when having belts done for a little extra power.

Green, You are the first to mention on this thread fitting a diff, which is what I have thought would be a good move on these cars for a while now. Having used both types of diff on fwd rally cars in the past, I have used atb on a road rally 205 and golf 16v, and the plate type on an astra 16v stage car.
What did you fit atb or plate type, and approx cost for the whole job if you please.
To Op, my thoughts based on many years of using cars for competition with much success, are leave the motor std but improve braking and suspension, on the Clio this means for me, new Cup dampers and Cooksport springs, use the best tyres you can afford, and a good seat with harness so you can feel what the car is doing. You can go faster if you FEEL the road! = More FUN:smile:

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Both Quaiffe (ATB) and Gripper (Plate) are about £1300. Not including getting the box out and fitting the diff.

I put a gripper in mine, which is better, but you have the downside of getting the box out and replating the diff periodically. Quaife is fit and forget.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Green, You are the first to mention on this thread fitting a diff, which is what I have thought would be a good move on these cars for a while now
Only problem with that though is you're spending more than the car's worth on a single mod, there's no doubt it's a great mod but when the cost of buying it and getting it fitted is the same as buying another 172 you can see why not many people do it.

If I had the spare cash

Instead of turini's I'd be purchasing some lighter and cheaper (Because Clio scene tax) team dynamics.

Also if I had the cash at the moment decent suspension and brakes would be my only wish oh and some buckets so I wouldnt fall out the standard seats.

The back end on my standard sport seems nice but the front end is all soft and wallowy. Something will definately have to be done about that in the future. Too much understeer even with decent tyres on now.

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member
I'd have kept mine stock. Just new shocks and maybe cooksports.
A set of recaros would be nice too.
The best mods for these is just keeping up to date with the servicing.

At first I thought I would probably go to town with the 172 but as the mileage increases the less im inclined to modify it (at present it only has a cup spoiler, ktec exhaust and dogbone mount) I have to keep telling myself I eventually want a Clio 200 cup in alien green so im trying to hold back on mods unless its service items (panel filter) or wear and tear (like the exhaust and dogbone)

Iceberg PH1 172
In F&F world, a milk float would out drag the cops aslong as Walker was behind the wheel.
Tints + Zorst + Sparco steering wheel = +150bhp

OT: For me personally.
30mm drop, Decat, Stainless, Engine/Gbox bushes. Remap.

Who am i kidding.. TURBO!!!

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
For me i have held back on the mods on the rb, i hope to do just enough to cover the basics

Snappy steering wheel
Replace exhaust
Cooksport springs
Spacers
Ph1 172 gearstick/knob
Renaultsport mats

Rolls

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/ EscCos
Interesting how everyones views vary dependant on how many cars / whats they've done in the past! All quite interesting really, esp when considering the same question was asked on he Escos forum a while back and you had a similar theme to the replies : decide what you want to achieve - and stick to it!

Rolls

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/ EscCos
I may have... She's sleeping at the moment! Haha! (Don't actually know if I've got any decent pics... Prob have some from the escos photo shoot yonks ago!)