ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Sport - Civic Type r - Leon Cupra R or Mini Cooper S?

ok which would be best option?

only requirements is good performance and enough room in back for 3 people with the driver being 6ft lol!

Mornin eggy,

The mini is a no no as they are seriously cramped in the back,as regards all the rest, if i was looking for a car for the same reason i'd probably take the leon, a good blend of performance, looks and practicality, new shape or old.:)

cheers stu

Clio 197 Red!
From what I have read in various car reviews out of the four you mentioned the Leon has the most power, loads of space in the back and a decent boot since its meant to be a family car. The Type R has the most space and boot size out of the four but its not as fast as the Leon. What 182Boogaloo said about the mini is true so stay away. The Clio definately has enough room in the back for three people and will accommodate your 6footnes in the front no problem, it has the best chassis, handling and ride quality out of the four. Its the most fun to drive even though it has the least powerfull motor out of the bunch but honestly we're still talking 197ps here, thats got to be enough!

VRS
if your 6foot+ then 3 in the back of the clio will be a push and will be cramped! no one can fit behind my drivers seat in the 182 lol

i would go for the leon as its a 5 door family hatch so will accomodate a full 5 passengers plus boot space as well as good performance

Mk4 .:R32
Leon - fastest (1.8 turbo 225bhp), most spacious. Worst interior bar the seats.
Clio - Fairly fast for what it is, nice looks. Made from melted down plastic cuttlery, pants driving position.
Type R - Prob best engine out of the 4, good driving position. But looks like something to stop your door from closing.
Cooper S - Quick (although prob the slowest of the 4 byu a few tenths of a second, which is nothing in every day driving), good build quality. Expensive and sounds stupid when booting it due to the supercharger.

Just my opinion

Cooper S JCW
Cooper S - I love the handling in the Mini but not enough grunt and the interior trim is too much reducing the cabin space

172/182 - Nice car to throw around but with more than 2 people in it it starts to get bogged down. Best spec for your cash though

Leon Cupra - worst mpg of the lot. Horribly bland interior. Shape doesn't do it for me

Type R - Best ride out of the lot for me. Cheap to mod. Plenty of space. Difficult to get one that has been looked after in all areas though!

14' Leon Cupra 280
I think the overall insurance will be more shocking than the petrol cost differences...

The civic is a ugly fukin moter and is a common as spar newsagents
The Leon is a crap and the mini no matter what one you have is always still a mini

If you need the car to fit five in, there's only one option really !

The Cupra R , 5 door , and just as fast ( if not faster ) than any of them!

Chuck £400 at it on a remap and your saying goodnight as the bhp goes up to 260!

leon

320d
I'd be tempted by the Type R mate, not a fan of seats personally and the RS and mini are too small for your needs.

Having had 5 type R's of different models I will be bias:)

You looking at an FN2, EP3 or EK9 when you say CTR, guessing EP3? Iv had 2 EP3's and they are great cars TBH, good build quailty, amazing engine/gearbox, very reliable and plenty of room inside. Only problem is the steering is numb as its EPS. Had my 1st expirence of a Clio 172 cup last night and was v impressed, TBH would say its more "fun" to drive than the civic but alot smaller so maybe not a option if you need room. LCR is a bit of a barge and wont feel special to drive like the Clio or Civic but is still very well made and does the job. Mini expensive for what you get but then fun to drive and well made but small again.

So its either Ep3 or LCR

But then for 11k you could get a DC5 and blow the socks off the lot of them, iv also had 2 and still would have it now if its wasnt for a cash flow problem:mad: but will prob go back for my 3rd after a few years cup ownership as IMO they are than good!

Dont buy a mini i had a new cooper and had nothing but trouble with it ended up giving it back coz it was awful! leon seems the best option for what you want i used to drive an ibiza cupra and it was one of the best cars i have ever driven and the civics are just too common now

E11OOT

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 6/Ph1 v6/R34
Thanks for the Replies..

Thinking Type R

As lol, fuel is going be a problem as am only 19 and a student..

same dilema as me last year (19 student), i ended up with the clio and never looked back.

drove type R, clio 182 and cooper S

182 just did it for me....but go and drive them before you make up you mind.

Stealth Bomber R26
seat leon good looking car from the outside bland inside

civic type r feels cramped in the back performance and handling felt OK gearbox, oh dear not good having three attampts to get it into gear.

197 not to my taste

so thats why the 172 is going for a Megane R26 what a car knocks spots of the rest from the handling and the low down power is phenomenol (sp)

MINI Cooper S
The mini only has 2 seats in the back and no middle one! But for driving pleasure, i would definitely recommend the Cooper S, absolutely fantastic to drive, although i havent driven the other cars in your list.

gearbox, oh dear not good having three attampts to get it into gear.

Not being funny fella but that "you" not the box, regardless of what people think of the CTR as on overall package. No-one can say the gearbox/engine combo is a poor one. Once you get used to the close box on the K20, it is awsome and I prefered it to my S2000 box which is also highly regarded.

By any chance where you trying to grab 5th in a hurry? Always potential for some embarrisment on that one:eek:

Monaco 172 (02)
Have you got any quotes on any of them yet?

Im 19 with 2years no claims to my name and the 172 was £1550 TPFT and the rest were even more. CTR Was a shocking £1900 TPFT.

How much are yours coming out at?

I had to settle for a VTR. Not the same but fun on a budget!

Have you got any quotes on any of them yet?

Im 19 with 2years no claims to my name and the 172 was £1550 TPFT and the rest were even more. CTR Was a shocking £1900 TPFT.

How much are yours coming out at?

I had to settle for a VTR. Not the same but fun on a budget!

flaming nora, just noticed your 19 fella. I was 19 when I got my 1st Ep3, Directline did it fully comp with basic mods I/H/E for £2340 no-one else would touch it! Its going to cost ya for any of them but the Clio may be the cheapest to insure.....?

it'll eb after christmas b4 i get any so i'll eb 20.. but i'll test drive both CTR and LCR looking at 53 54 plates for both...

Monaco 172 (02)
Nice!

My old mans contribution to my car was £400. That would have bought me a nice set of wheels but f*uk all else. A friend of mine had a CTR for 5 weeks. He was constantly putting juice in the thing. All reports I have read suggest Clio's are pretty reasonable to run, not that I have had the pleasure of owning or driving either of the cars you have listed!

Stealth Bomber R26
gearbox, oh dear not good having three attampts to get it into gear.

Not being funny fella but that "you" not the box, regardless of what people think of the CTR as on overall package. No-one can say the gearbox/engine combo is a poor one. Once you get used to the close box on the K20, it is awsome and I prefered it to my S2000 box which is also highly regarded.

By any chance where you trying to grab 5th in a hurry? Always potential for some embarrisment on that one:eek:

Matt yes could well have been me and it was every gear. I desperately wanted to have one of the new type r. I love the look, the styling but I didnt find it as much fun to drive as the R26

Bear in mind that the CTR is a 4-seater only: although there's space in the back fro 3 easily, there's no centre seatbelt whatsoever (only got 2 belts). Don't know the reasoning behind it as other 3-door Civics have the full 3 belts in the back...

Clio: aye you can put 3 folk in the back but I wouldn't like to be one of them.

MINI: nae chance...

So by default you need to buy a Leon Cupra R from that lot ;)

Matt yes could well have been me and it was every gear. I desperately wanted to have one of the new type r. I love the look, the styling but I didnt find it as much fun to drive as the R26

THe R26 is awsome really like them, good contender to the DC5 Teg IMO so all depends if you an N/a or boost person. TBH the R26 would be a better day 2 day car!

THe R26 is awsome really like them, good contender to the DC5 Teg IMO so all depends if you an N/a or boost person. TBH the R26 would be a better day 2 day car!

They are both N/A...

EDIT: You weren't talking about the DC5 or R26 when you said about boost were you? :$

Last edited:
  Stealth Bomber R26

that was one of the reasons i chose the R26 another was the low down pulling power due to the turbo :D

Clio 172 mk2
What about the diesel Cupras (150bhp ones), I've heard froma reliable source that they are bloody quick/nice to drive.

Diesel Cupra's certainly are quick ;)

Cheap remap and they're even quicker and still a lot cheaper to run than any of the above.

Leon Cupra R 225
Leon - fastest (1.8 turbo 225bhp), most spacious. Worst interior bar the seats.
Clio - Fairly fast for what it is, nice looks. Made from melted down plastic cuttlery, pants driving position.
Type R - Prob best engine out of the 4, good driving position. But looks like something to stop your door from closing.
Cooper S - Quick (although prob the slowest of the 4 byu a few tenths of a second, which is nothing in every day driving), good build quality. Expensive and sounds stupid when booting it due to the supercharger.

Just my opinion

PMSL!!! against the highlighted car (made out of tin-foil) I think you should re-consider!

I can vouch for Leon's allday long as the best car out of this lot, which it clearly is ;)

But I won't because it's nice to have people roll around in french tin when you've got a bombproof audi piece of beast. all imo of course

I LOVE my Leon, no car came close when choosing, maybe the Golf R32 but hey ho. Re-map for me soon :approve::approve::approve: