ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CLIO TT - new bhp figure

Rich, about transmission losses, they get lower as the bhp rises. You cant lose transmission loss twice.

A FWD car may start at around 18-20% but add say 60bhp and this will drop to around 13-14%. I think mines works out around 13% compared to 18% when it was standard. I would have expected this clio to be around the same.

Neil, i wasnt aware of that (VVT) Hows your beast gettin on? I noticed your terminals changed??

Ian, were all young and stupid once;)

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Mitchy on 17 March 2005

Rich, about transmission losses, they get lower as the bhp rises. You cant lose transmission loss twice.

A FWD car may start at around 18-20% but add say 60bhp and this will drop to around 13-14%. I think mines works out around 13% compared to 18% when it was standard. I would have expected this clio to be around the same.
So you have evidence to back this up then!?

In my opinion, transmission loss should not alter with power, the loss is caused by the rotating mass of the gears, driveshafts, etc, and the resistance of the bearings, tyres, etc... so this will be the same for 200bhp or 300bhp with the exact same drivetrain!

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 17 March 2005
Quote: Originally posted by Mitchy on 17 March 2005Rich, about transmission losses, they get lower as the bhp rises. You cant lose transmission loss twice.A FWD car may start at around 18-20% but add say 60bhp and this will drop to around 13-14%. I think mines works out around 13% compared to 18% when it was standard. I would have expected this clio to be around the same.[/QUOTE]So you have evidence to back this up then!?In my opinion, transmission loss should not alter with power, the loss is caused by the rotating mass of the gears, driveshafts, etc, and the resistance of the bearings, tyres, etc... so this will be the same for 200bhp or 300bhp with the exact same drivetrain!

But surely if its losing the same amount of power (in bhp terms) when it has 200bhp as it is when it has 300bhp, this actual loss will be a smaller percentage?

Ie 30 bhp off of 200 is a lot larger percentage than 30 bhp off of 300

I disagree Rich.

Are you saying that for each bhp gained when modding the car engine to increase bhp, the same % of transmission loss will come off that gained bhp? How can you lose the loss twice. I agree, you will lose a little, but no-where near the original % loss. The transmission is eating up a set amount of horsepower, so when the engines horsepower is increased, i dont think it eats some more in conjunction with rising bhp.

A standard 300bhp impreza with 30% losses will have a wheel figure of 210bhp (30% of 300). Now boost the Impreza upto 400bhp, are you saying a further 30% would be lost in that 100bhp gained? Now giving it 400 @ fly with 280 @ wheels??

Ive seen evidence over on scoobynet that this is not the case. Ive even asked this very question and they agreed that it will lose a much smaller % but not the initial set car % loss.

Ive had wheel figures of 238 and 240 on 2 seperate rolling roads with flywheel figures of 270 and 273 respectively. Working 273/240 out it equates to roughly a 12.5% loss.

Other LCRs are losing around 17% as standard so my transmission loss has definitely dropped in terms of a % figure.

browno

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by Mitchy on 17 March 2005Ive had wheel figures of 238 and 240 on 2 seperate rolling roads with flywheel figures of 270 and 273 respectively. Working 273/240 out it equates to roughly a 12.5% loss.Other LCRs are losing around 17% as standard so my transmission loss has definitely dropped in terms of a % figure.

Sorry, but had to join the debate...

But these runs were again both taken on a rolling road, where the operator has guestimated the tranmission loss to give you a figure at the flywheel - no exact science there...:confused:

Top work on the clio though! Always fancied a sleeper myself (anyone see the skoda estelle in Retro performance mag with RX7 power...:cool: )

[Edited by browno on 3/17/2005 10:55:05 PM]

Yes, the flywheel figure is guess work but @ wheels is measured.

The operator could have estimated a 20% loss thus making my flywheel figure much higher than 273 but the way it has been calculated its plain to see theres only around a 12-13% loss and not a 20% loss.

This is not just me mate, there are quite a few LCRs with very similar results on a variety of rolling roads.

To the TT Clio, i would say 229 @ wheels equates to around 265 @ fly or thereabouts

Probably because its a bench mark as its deemed as a fast car.

The clio isnt really classed as being fast so they pick on the old scoob to show how good tuned clios are.

The clio isnt really classed as being fast so they pick on the old scoob to show how good tuned clios are.
i seeeeeeeeeee!! well i have posted up the figures of my scoob in other marques. Bearing in mind mine was not the quickest of the day either! sorry for change of subject!

Quote: Originally posted by Justy on 17 March 2005

i seeeeeeeeeee!! well i have posted up the figures of my scoob in other marques. Bearing in mind mine was not the quickest of the day either! sorry for change of subject!

wow, 0-100mph in under 10 secs and 60 in under 4 secs, why did you sell the scoobe in favour of a Valver??

Simon.

Lionel Richie

How about everyone shut up!!!!!!!!

At the end of the day, i dont care what car youve got, you aint gonna win against the clio TT (unless your name is Mike T)

END OF EFFING STORY!!!!!!!!

Lionel Richie

Quote: Originally posted by Neil_H on 17 March 2005

That is just insane! Love it

Fred2001Dynamic - are you from knowle/solihull by any chance? I was speaking to a lad called joe stevens & mentioned about the clioTT being in knowle the other day.
Yep, i live in Dorridge (Black new shape clio, slammed on black rims)

awesome car! cant make york on the 27th, but am looking forward to see it go down the strip some time soon.

Keep up the good work!:D

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 18 March 2005

At the end of the day, i dont care what car youve got, you aint gonna win against the clio TT (unless your name is Mike T)

ill tell my mates old man to throw away the keys to his ferrari then shall i? dont talk wet son, it aint the best car in the world, and dont make stupid f**king comments, i nearly pissed myself when i read that!

im gunna be the only fella to side with mitchy... yes, the cars quick... RR results may be questionable, but ya know arent they all?

the point hes making is that proven facts from that particular engine prove that 285bhp is optimistic. i dont know about this, but i doubt hes gunna come over all high n mighty if he knows this isnt the case!

and to the other point... the car is f**kin awful to look at! yeah its quick, but for an every day car, its not very nice is it? its had a 172 engine in it before, with nos, and stripped, so its gunna have taken a ragging, and now its got this new engine in it. i dunno wether j3ned has re-furbed the interior, but either way, it aint gunna be spectacular to look at now is it?

at the end of the day, its quick, and a sleeper, thats it, if you using it every day your gunna get bored, and to be honest, the way it looks now is an eyesore... someone posts that car on here with a 1.2 engine in it, youd f**king rip the kid to pieces in a second, so maybe take a f**king step back every now and then and think before you start raving on about this being "the best clio" this and that. some people on here are so quick to be critical of someones opinions its un - f**king - real

fair play to you j3ned, if thats what u wanna do, i got loadsa time and respect for you, if it was a second car, it would be fun, but i just wouldnt want this day to day, like mitchy said.

maybe you lot should just f**king grow up and stop being so f**kin narrow minded. if this was some other way round, some fella puts a 500bhp engine in a Cupra, i know for a fact that 99% of people posting in this thread would come out with comments like, "that aint possible" what this what that are you using, just because its a clio? come on for f**ks sake, your all f**king grown ups, just learn to realise that just because you own a clio, and your in cliosport, doesnt mean you have to compete with the rest of the motoring world? a clios a clio! its a small car, it aint ever gunna be one of the big boys!

at the end of the day, look at nick reads clio, not only is it original, quick, and benchmark, but it looks f**kin spectacular. i know which car id chose, wether this ones quicker or not?

maybe you lot should get off your high horses for one second, take a step back, and shut ur f**kin faces before being quick to snap someone up, just because he thinks this engine isnt possible of such claims, verified or not.

the level of arrogance on the site is unbelievable

my names mike t, suck muy c**k!

Quote: Originally posted by ravo on 18 March 2005

ill tell my mates old man to throw away the keys to his ferrari then shall i? dont talk wet son, it aint the best car in the world, and dont make stupid f**king comments, i nearly pissed myself when i read that!

im gunna be the only fella to side with mitchy... yes, the cars quick... RR results may be questionable, but ya know arent they all?

the point hes making is that proven facts from that particular engine prove that 285bhp is optimistic. i dont know about this, but i doubt hes gunna come over all high n mighty if he knows this isnt the case!

and to the other point... the car is f**kin awful to look at! yeah its quick, but for an every day car, its not very nice is it? its had a 172 engine in it before, with nos, and stripped, so its gunna have taken a ragging, and now its got this new engine in it. i dunno wether j3ned has re-furbed the interior, but either way, it aint gunna be spectacular to look at now is it?

at the end of the day, its quick, and a sleeper, thats it, if you using it every day your gunna get bored, and to be honest, the way it looks now is an eyesore... someone posts that car on here with a 1.2 engine in it, youd f**king rip the kid to pieces in a second, so maybe take a f**king step back every now and then and think before you start raving on about this being "the best clio" this and that. some people on here are so quick to be critical of someones opinions its un - f**king - real

fair play to you j3ned, if thats what u wanna do, i got loadsa time and respect for you, if it was a second car, it would be fun, but i just wouldnt want this day to day, like mitchy said.

maybe you lot should just f**king grow up and stop being so f**kin narrow minded. if this was some other way round, some fella puts a 500bhp engine in a Cupra, i know for a fact that 99% of people posting in this thread would come out with comments like, "that aint possible" what this what that are you using, just because its a clio? come on for f**ks sake, your all f**king grown ups, just learn to realise that just because you own a clio, and your in cliosport, doesnt mean you have to compete with the rest of the motoring world? a clios a clio! its a small car, it aint ever gunna be one of the big boys!

at the end of the day, look at nick reads clio, not only is it original, quick, and benchmark, but it looks f**kin spectacular. i know which car id chose, wether this ones quicker or not?

maybe you lot should get off your high horses for one second, take a step back, and shut ur f**kin faces before being quick to snap someone up, just because he thinks this engine isnt possible of such claims, verified or not.

the level of arrogance on the site is unbelievable
You guessed it................its his Second car!!! He has a 172 company car to drive around in if he gets bored with the ClioTT.

He built the car for the 1/4mile and trackdays, who wouldnt given the chance and skill (albeit mainly by a good friend of his). As said, if he wants to drive round in comfort with climate control on and leather seats he can do, but i know which one id be driving around!

Why do people get on their high horse when they see a sleeper?? Thats exactly what the car was designed to be, its meant to look sh*t! That is the whole point of them?! If he wanted a good looking car he wouldve bought one, but he didnt. End Of.

Kev.

j3ned my bro said what gear box are you using on this engine as he said the VW gearboxes are all different and they all has different transmission losses. i.e the deisel ones are higger just because of the uprated parts involved. he said you would then be able to get the figures your talking about easy.

Bsimmer, your not getting it mate.

Its not the engine figures, the engine is capable of massive bhp. The k04 turbo is not!

Im almost sure he is using a Tdi box which would explain the higher Tx loss.

muz

big fat japanese bus

Oh and Muz, is it a wonder why i get worked up on the ZR forum with the amount of crap that comes out of it? I had a ZR160 remember and i know what they can and cant do.

Like go off the road?;)

MERCEDES CLS AMG

Ok can the mods lock this thread now because its turning into an argument.

Jesus - there are some real idiots on this site.

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

Its a shame forum users have to get like this now days.

I never remember this forum as bitchy as this.

It turns interesting reading into boring repetative crap.

What a shame, bring back the old days lol

please dont lock it, im in love with the amazing power and pure thought that has gone into this car, brilliant concept. some might say that the rr is questionable, thats their opinion, i personally think that it is accurate to within about 2bhp so when there was a 290+ figure on the first run? the figure is not that on the printout because the bloke has obviously realised that it was a one off, do they not take an average or is it the highest figure?

Quote: Originally posted by j3ned on 18 March 2005

Ok can the mods lock this thread now because its turning into an argument.

Jesus - there are some real idiots on this site. - its okay, ill send them all to HELL! :devilish:

Nippy white cup

A 210/225 turbo is only efficient upto 290bhp before needing to be replaced with a larger unit such as an IHI VF34
His is 285 so why is there even an arguement....why are people getting pissy about it looking like it does when it is supposed to look that way?.....Oh and what is the power to weight on your mates dads ferrari? ;)

It has been built for a purpose...if I put a pic of a new F1 car you wouldnt start saying "Naa thats sh*t, a rally car would beat it round Grisdale Forest" because it hasnt been designed to go off road...as Matts 1.2 is designed to look sh*t...God I hate roundabouts!

Chris

MERCEDES CLS AMG

The fact of the matter is - i AM going to beat his Cupra on the strip........................and he doesnt like it !!

Whos cupra j3ned? Certainly not mine.

Why on earth would i want to launch my car off the line, change gear twice and race against some boyracer in a crap orange shed heap? How exciting is that:confused: It doesnt flick my switch really:oops:

Nick Reids car is far nicer than the heap you own and my money is on his car being the fastest clio on this site. What a waste of time that would be eh?You need to run @ pod aswell to get an unquestioned time.

Anyone on this site could have bought an old heap of a clio and dropped a 1.8T engine in it. Not much cost involved really!! Why do you think your so special? I would have done it proper and bought a nicer clio to start with.

The PWR figures of your car as you tried to explain in a previous thread are not that impressive to be whipping ferraris etc. Your exaggerating the kerb weight in order to give you a better PWR

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

???????????

Arse/mouth switch flicked the wrong way again mate.

You need a service.

TT 225

:p clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right

Whats the point of buying a nice clio and ripping it apart. Matts car isnt old, is it?

And you need to lock this crap.

I gave a valid point about the turbo and the inflated bhp figures but was shot down by the morons of cliosport who have no idea what they are talking about.

As he said let the 1/4 mile strip do the talking. My moneys still on Nick Reid though

The Jinx

Tom, I dont think there is a switch. I think his arse is hard wired to his brain.

Its one thing questioning someone but theres no need to start throwing insults around. You arent even man enough to be proven wrong.

Best thing is to just wait til after next Sunday eh and let the results speak for themselves?

Quote: Originally posted by Kelly on 18 March 2005

Whats the point of buying a nice clio and ripping it apart. Matts car isnt old, is it?
Erm, too have a nice finished product.

Put a turbo in a 172 shell and id have that any day of the week. Put a turbo in an old orange sh*tmobile and ill just laugh, say what a waste of time and a big no thanks.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Im not locking it.

Someone else is going to have to.

Exactly what part of what you said was vaild or even relevant?

Mervin, proven wrong about what?

I am in the right with this bhp figure and what the turbo can and cannot achieve. God some of you are so far up each others arses its untrue.

An initial run of 297 was measured. My arse:mad: From just a remap, LOL

The size of the turbo is relevant when quoting unrealistic figures. The K04 is too small to flow 297bhp. Fact!!!!

229 @ wheels equates to around 265 @ flywheel with this engine and transmission. Fact!!!

285 @ fly would be around 250 @ wheels hence why i doubt the original bhp figures!!

Now why is this information not valid when taking his claims into consideration?

It is not me being aggressive or abusive here. Im getting more insults than anyone but im just sat here having a giggle on how people are getting wound up in front of there computer screens:D

Cliosport strikes again! Someone questions something and all hell breaks loose with the chav kiddies choking on there cornflakes

Its a heap at the end of the day, why is everyone so excited? Getting pissed and shagging excites me, not watching an old shed run up a 1/4 strip for 13-14secs. God some people live boring lives!!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Well im sat here either laughing or falling asleep (depending on posts im reading)

Im sure everyone else is the same, you mate are the only person getting wound up.

Fact!!