ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio182 trophy??????

Better than yours. C*nt.
Fair enough - it's a long time since I had my 182 so it's easy to look back with rose-tints, but I did starship miles in my 182 (18,000 in 9 months) before I got the Megane and it was great!

A ANIMAL
For what its worth i was told by the editorial director of evo mag over a pint that his trophy was too harsh for everyday A road driving, and he could not put up with it on a daily basis.

What?

i have driven mine every day for 2 years - it's never been anything less than a pleasure

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
When you own a zonda and had a brand new RS6 to drive,i can imagine that to be true...

I loved my 172 and 182 on A roads...

Thought i'd stick my oar in, my trophy was an ex company car and the previous driver didnt have a single complaint about the ride infact he enjoyed it so much that he put 165,000 miles on it in 4 years ;).

The front dampers are original from factory and have lasted the distance as they only now have started to leak.

Replacements front dampers are £1100 a corner from Renault and cannot be reburbished from Sachs or even their motorsport outfit but can be refurbished by companies who have the ability to re-gas shocks.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
For what its worth i was told by the editorial director of evo mag over a pint that his trophy was too harsh for everyday A road driving, and he could not put up with it on a daily basis.

I don't get why unless it's a Williams you always put other Clios down.

Me and Matt have had both. My Trophy is miles better than the Williams. Tbh the 172 was better in a number of ways to.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
I don't get why unless it's a Williams you always put other Clios down.

Me and Matt have had both. My Trophy is miles better than the Williams. Tbh the 172 was better in a number of ways to.

Not sure why people are commenting on the large extra cost of a trophy-

A Standard 182 on an 05 with 36k is retailing around 6.5k, If you pick a like for like trophy your paying 1k more-
Thats 1k more for better wheels, better suspension by a country mile & recaro front seats which from what I have seen are perfectly acceptable-

If thats not worth the additional premium then your not driving it right..

S

Looking at your previous posts it appears that you had a williams 3, not a williams. A small point, which although probably insignificant to you, probably explains the underlying reason why you think the trophy is the better car.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
The fact is, I have had both and you haven't. So to an extent any opinion of yours on this issue is unfounded and merley speculation.

But I'll ask, ... what differences should I expect from a 1 over a 3 then? What would I be able do differently. Is it any faster? Any wider?

Clio 182 Trophy
williams' are absolutely tripe they are only 150 horse arent they? they look rubbish, you will probably just think its good because its your first car or whatever! i roasted loads in my 106 which wasnt as good at my 182 T

The fact is, I have had both and you haven't. So to an extent any opinion is unfounded and merley speculation.

But I'll ask, ... what differences should I expect from a 1 over a 3 then?

But you havnt owned a williams have you? Thats the point.

I agree a trophy is probably better than a williams 3, you are right. A williams 3 is just a clio 16v with a williams engine in it. I also agree that a 172 is probably a better car than a williams 3.

A trophy is also probably better than a williams 2.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Yes, I had a Williams, a Williams 3. Point is, a Williams is a Williams. You're just trying to grasp little fragments and technicalities in a discussion. I understand your point, if I was having one "forever" I would get a 1 as it's the original but there is no driving or performance differences to back up your comment that it's a better car. Only hardcore fans really know what you're banging on about.

Personally I prefered the colour of the 3 and it's greater exclusivity and that it was newer. Which ultimatley was why back in the day I got it.

However, you did dodge my question a bit, .... so lets here it from you ... what differences should I expect then? What makes it better?

Being honest, this is only opinions and I am not trying to tell you or anyone else for that matter that their's is wrong. But you just cannot hold the ones you do when you haven't owned all the cars in discussion. All you can objectivley do is comment on looks, that's it. On driveability I do have the experience. Whether it be in your eyes a hybrid or not it still drives the same and in my opinion a Trophy > Williams.

Yes, I had a Williams, a Williams 3. Point is, a Williams is a Williams. You're just trying to grasp little fragments and technicalities in a discussion. I understand your point, if I was having one "forever" I would get a 1 as it's the original but there is no driving or performance differences to back up your comment that it's a better car. Only hardcore fans really know what you're banging on about.

Personally I prefered the colour of the 3 and it's greater exclusivity and that it was newer. Which ultimatley was why back in the day I got it.

However, you did dodge my question a bit, .... so lets here it from you ... what differences should I expect then? What makes it better?

Being honest, this is only opinions and I am not trying to tell you or anyone else for that matter that their's is wrong. But you just cannot hold the ones you do when you haven't owned all the cars in discussion. All you can objectivley do is comment on looks, that's it. On driveability I do have the experience. Whether it be in your eyes a hybrid or not it still drives the same and in my opinion a Trophy > Williams.

Thanks, this confirms my earlier supposition.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Brad, you actually going to explain any of your points, or just keep trolling?

Brad, you actually going to explain any of your points, or just keep trolling?

I think i have explained quite well that judging a car is purely subjective.

I have also explained a phenomenon called 'Brad's Law' that suggests that people are more likely to rate highly the car that they own. This is based on the simple fact that people do not generally buy cars they do not like.

Ask some trophy owners which is the best 2 litre clio, and what do you think 90% will say?

Ask the same question to some williams owners, and what do you think 90 % will say?

Who would buy a williams if they liked the trophy more?

Who would buy a trophy if they liked the williams more?

In statistics its called selection bias.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
bradharding24 said:

But thats his opinion. Like your opinion that all Clio's are s**t? Were you raped in a Clio or something? Get over it.

White clique
I think i have explained quite well that judging a car is purely subjective.

I have also explained a phenomenon called 'Brad's Law' that suggests that people are more likely to rate highly the car that they own. This is based on the simple fact that people do not generally buy cars they do not like.

Ask some trophy owners which is the best 2 litre clio, and what do you think 90% will say?

Ask the same question to some williams owners, and what do you think 90 % will say?

Who would buy a williams if they liked the trophy more?

Who would buy a trophy if they liked the williams more?

In statistics its called selection bias.

the arrogance is astounding! Are you boxcarwilly on a dual account?

Your theory is flawed in the regard that actually most people now own a different car to their first car, and presumably if everyone thought thier car was unimprovable they'd never need to buy a different one. The fact that people change cars demonstrates that at some point they felt they could buy something better.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Lol, Tommo actually has a Williams 1 and not a 2 as his name may suggest. But I'm coming to the conclusion all Williams 1 drivers are pricks! Lol, j/k Col not you though Brad! ;)

I'd like explanations as to how you come to these opinions tbh as I find it odd. Is it just what you read and are told or is there any substance to it? It's just I cannot see how you can form these opinions without some miles behind the wheel. After all this brovado you can't listen/read what someone else says and think ok that's now my opinion surley.

Last edited:
  Better than yours. C*nt.

Your theory is flawed in the regard that actually most people now own a different car to their first car, and presumably if everyone thought thier car was unimprovable they'd never need to buy a different one. The fact that people change cars demonstrates that at some point they felt they could buy something better.

But the guy is right. If you ask yourself what the best Z4 is, you'd probably argue that yours is because it's the best balance between performance, economy and cost. If you ask a Saxo VTS driver which is better - that or the 106 GTI, he'll say the VTS. It's not necessarily called Brad's law but definitely called bias.

You ask a Labour MP who is best to run the country, they aren't going to say the Green party are they...

Clio Williams
What's stromba doing on here lol!

Oh yes I am a prick, only after I've lost a game of pool and the punch machine though! lol

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Not really, you only take that approach if on a justification approach and cannot afford what you truely want. Sounds a bit like a comprimise situation tbh.

White clique
But the guy is right. If you ask yourself what the best Z4 is, you'd probably argue that yours is because it's the best balance between performance, economy and cost. If you ask a Saxo VTS driver which is better - that or the 106 GTI, he'll say the VTS. It's not necessarily called Brad's law but definitely called bias.

You ask a Labour MP who is best to run the country, they aren't going to say the Green party are they...

not in the slightest, i know the Z4M is better but cant justify the running costs.

I know the new Z4 looks better but cant afford one of those either, so am waiting until they come down in price.

Better than yours. C*nt.
Is it really 'can't afford' or is it more 'can't justify' - they're very closely linked and this is where this kind of argument originates from.

If you use your car all day every day on the motorway, could you justify having a Trophy over a 182? It's strictly speaking a waste of £1,000! However some people use their cars differently, and with the same amount of money to spend CAN justify the extra £1,000 because they do B-road blasts more regularly.

I think this blurry line is where we're not meeting...

White clique
To me the justify bit is the fact i'm not willing to have a loan on a car, or pay so much that i dont have a life, others are and thats good for them.

It depends on how badly you want something, for me a car is a car and as long as it looks nice and isnt a rip off i'll take a look.

Is it really 'can't afford' or is it more 'can't justify' - they're very closely linked and this is where this kind of argument originates from.

If you use your car all day every day on the motorway, could you justify having a Trophy over a 182? It's strictly speaking a waste of £1,000! However some people use their cars differently, and with the same amount of money to spend CAN justify the extra £1,000 because they do B-road blasts more regularly.

I think this blurry line is where we're not meeting...

Jesus Mike give it a rest some of us can afford any car we like but choose to buy a Trophy as I for one don't feel the need to buy anything else right now.

Congratulations on buying a V6 but please FFS shut up and come on please your comment about justifying £1000 is taking the piss how much did you lose/waste on your Trophy?

END

Last edited:

No. Because Brad's second Law states that people tend not to swap to cars of the same class, but tend to up or down grade as their economic situation changes.

The perception of something newer or better when the bank balance improves means that people are likely to upgrade. As the bank balance declines people usually stick with what they have, or rarely downgrade to a car of a different class such as a diesel.

Of course when they do down or upgrade, Brad's First Law comes into being, in such that they are likely to buy a car that they like, and as such if you ask them which car of that class is best, they will always choose their own.

Brad FYI I've owned a Williams 1 & 2 and a phase 1 172 and also 2 Valver's and an RSi

How many Clio's have you owned as you don't seem to state that in any of your posts?

The Williams 1 is an excellent car and far more supple than the Trophy but as I wanted a newer car I traded the Willy in for a T.

As for Brad's law its an interesting opinion but I choose to disagree with you.

:)

Trophy #240/R33 GTST
Everyones got their own reasons, mine i was 18 went into my renault garage and they had a brand new trophy sat there, i sat in it and was like i want one of those! I later read up on everything and i'm not going to lie the evo article sent me giddy..but i was 18 and a trophy was a long way off. Then when insurance finally came sensible 4 years later i looked up prices and the relatively small price difference from a nice black 182 FF tempted me too much. Anyways it made me happy :)
Its an absolute hoot! Can i comment on other models that much...not really, do i love my T! YUP!
Does the boot annoy me..not yet...i'm still waiting for the inevitable...my friends yes..

Better than yours. C*nt.
Jesus Mike give it a rest some of us can afford any car we like but choose to buy a Trophy as I for one don't feel the need to buy anything else right now.

Congratulations on buying a V6 but please FFS shut up and come on please your comment about justifying £1000 is taking the piss how much did you lose/waste on your Trophy?

END

WTF?

Your head is obviously buried so far up your ass that you're missing the point. Not everybody in the world drives the right roads to appreciate the Trophy. By your blind arrogance I can only assume that your belief is that people only buy other cars because there aren't enough Trophys to go round? Tell me then that if you had infinite funds you'd still roll in a little red Clio, as opposed to using it as a cheap, fun hack, taking your prized Evo editor's example and using a Zonda when you go for a hoon.

As for your comments about how much I lost, what the f**k does that matter. You're clutching at straws and frankly embarrassing yourself. I lost a bit of money when I decided that a couple of cars I bought didn't push the right buttons for me. So f**king what?! It has zero relevance to this discussion other than proving my point that whilst the Trophy is a very capable car it's not the right car for everybody!

I'd be a knife-wielding maniac if I had to put up with the Trophy suspension 2-3 hours a day when I just want to slob on the way home.

Better than yours. C*nt.
To me the justify bit is the fact i'm not willing to have a loan on a car, or pay so much that i dont have a life, others are and thats good for them.

It depends on how badly you want something, for me a car is a car and as long as it looks nice and isnt a rip off i'll take a look.

Exactly - but some people will feel that it's either a status in society, so they have to have the latest and greatest, or some people might claim car allowance so at a couple of years old it needs changing. Others may find aspects of the new one that much better that they want to get the new one. By a rough interpretation of your post, strictly speaking they could afford one, but you can't justify taking money from other bits as your priorities are different.

This isn't having a go, it's just illustrating the point that if you don't find something about the expensive one that you 'need' or badly want, then you'll only regret spending that money on it. Eg I thought about getting a LY Vee, but decided it wasn't worth £4k more than a black one - there are better things (to me) to spend that moolah on.

WTF?

Your head is obviously buried so far up your ass that you're missing the point. Not everybody in the world drives the right roads to appreciate the Trophy. By your blind arrogance I can only assume that your belief is that people only buy other cars because there aren't enough Trophys to go round? Tell me then that if you had infinite funds you'd still roll in a little red Clio, as opposed to using it as a cheap, fun hack, taking your prized Evo editor's example and using a Zonda when you go for a hoon.

As for your comments about how much I lost, what the f**k does that matter. You're clutching at straws and frankly embarrassing yourself. I lost a bit of money when I decided that a couple of cars I bought didn't push the right buttons for me. So f**king what?! It has zero relevance to this discussion other than proving my point that whilst the Trophy is a very capable car it's not the right car for everybody!

I'd be a knife-wielding maniac if I had to put up with the Trophy suspension 2-3 hours a day when I just want to slob on the way home.

I don't feel were ever gonna agree here as perhaps I am too emotive on this subject so as long as you enjoy your car and I do mine it really doesn't matter.

The V6 to me is a nice car to look at but not for me and you didn't find the Trophy to your liking.

The best thing is that we both enjoy our cars in our own way and I hope you have fun in your Vee.

:)